Headphones/earphones for MD portable?
Nov 27, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 26
MDR-D22 eggo, MDR-D66 Eggo, they have to be imported :|
The D22 and 66 don't leak much sound, but they aren't exactly closed either.. Better than a SheetStyle though. Much better.

If you want isolation, your cheapest solution would be Aiwa VX100, or Sony EX70 canalphones.. Both can be purchased from AudioCubes.com, and come with short cords for use with MD remotes.

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 26
I'll second the MX500s - but they are just standard earbuds - not closed.

VX-100s and EX70s are a good choice, as are the eggos. You could try the Beyerdynamic DT231s, but from what I hear, even though they are billed as closed, they are as open as you can get.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 26
I beg to differ but the MX500 is still cheap shyte as you can't hear anything when you're on the train. Granted it's still not as shyte as some earphones. I was not very impressed by the Eggo although it's n OK portable. This is not closed back, you can hear quite a lot going on in the background.
The EX70 is OK, no more, I sometimes use it on planes but I don't really like the sound, but it is very handy and it does close out a lot of the background noise. This is probably your best bet, but make sure you have thebass boost set to 0 otherwise you will be in cotton wool land.
I use the MDR-7506 and the MDR-7509 but at a typical £130 / £180 at pro shops those are probably out of your consideration, but I will wholeheartedly recommend the 7506. It is the mutts nuts with my Sharp MD with or without an amplifier.

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I beg to differ but the MX500 is still cheap shyte as you can't hear anything when you're on the train.

That doesn't make it "shyte" nor "cheapt" -- it just means it doesn't isolate
wink.gif

In terms of sound quality, the MX 500 are MUCH better than the EX70 or any Aiwas. But for noisy environments, you won't realize that advantage because they don't block out a lot of external noise.

You might consider the Beyer 231 or the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, both of which are closed, sound good, and can be used with an MD portable.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
wink.gif

In terms of sound quality, the MX 500 are MUCH better than the EX70 or any Aiwas. But for noisy environments, you won't realize that advantage because they don't block out a lot of external noise.

You might consider the Beyer 231 or the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, both of which are closed, sound good, and can be used with an MD portable.

Yes it does. If you cant hear anything it's shyte. I think ***** isnt filtereed here but it may be a good idea just to say sucks llama testicles or something just to be sure, sorry I'm rambling.
And you have seen Lobstersan's photo of the HD280? The Beyer 231's looka bit shyte as well, don't know what they sound like however. But 40 quid for something that looks like it was ripped off a Red Dwarf set on the cheap, and made out of hte same plastic that I'm fairly sure they make the fake turds out of, I would be doubtful.
If you must buy a pair of HD280's I have one going cheap. £35 + a beer, but being up in Edinburgh I'd say £40 plus P&P. But I think they would be a bit hard to use with a MD, they seem less efficient than the MDR-7506 despite having similar impedance. (I havent tried it with the MD though, I can try it with my MZ-N707 if you like) And besides you wouldn't catch me wearing it in public even with my huge head to disguise it

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 26
Well I do have a pair of Sennheisser 565 Ovations, but they're not much good with a portable cos they're big and the volume needs turned up more (but they do sound ace).

Has anyone tried the £10 in ear Panasonics? I dont really want to buy Sony ones after the crap set they gave me with the MD player. Matter of principle. You pay £140 for a MD player you expect decent earphones, not ones that rip the internals of your ears apart. I mean why make a MD player that sounds decent and then package it with the worst earphones possible? Doesnt make sense. If they expected me to buy more expensive Sonys then sorry guys but that aint happening.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 26
Headphones that do justice to MD quality for under £50 is probably not possible. Just so that you know. I have tried quite a few and a tenner's not going to do it.
Quite a lot of people here seem to like the HD280 on their walkmans. They're fantastic headphones, fold into a small packge, are very closed back and don't look at all silly, honest to god, guvnor... Completely coincidentally I have one for sale
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Quote:

Yes it does. If you cant hear anything it's shyte.

No, it doesn't. As I said above, it just means it doesn't isolate well. In a quieter environment, the MX500 sound great. If you want to say you don't like a certain headphone because it doesn't isolate, and you personally need isolation, say that. But to say that a good-sounding headphone sucks because it doesn't isolate is like saying a BMW 700-series is a crappy car because you can't drive off-road with it.

Quote:

And you have seen Lobstersan's photo of the HD280?

Lobstersan bought those HD 280 Pro from me, so I know exactly what they look like. They don't look that bad, IMO, but that's irrelevant here, as are your comments that are based entirely upon looks.

Quote:

The Beyer 231's looka bit shyte as well, don't know what they sound like however.

You've never even heard them, but you criticize them based on a picture? Sorry, I thought this thread was about good headphones that offer isolation. I didn't realize it was a correspondence course for the Magicthyse School of Crappy-Sound-But-Good-Looks Headphones.

Quote:

But 40 quid for something that looks like it was ripped off a Red Dwarf set on the cheap, and made out of hte same plastic that I'm fairly sure they make the fake turds out of, I would be doubtful.

Doubtful that a headphone (you've never heard) sounds good just because you don't like how it looks? See above.

Quote:

If you must buy a pair of HD280's I have one going cheap. £35 + a beer, but being up in Edinburgh I'd say £40 plus P&P. But I think they would be a bit hard to use with a MD, they seem less efficient than the MDR-7506 despite having similar impedance. (I havent tried it with the MD though, I can try it with my MZ-N707 if you like)

When I said the HD 280 Pro works well with MD portables, I said that because I've actually tried it.

Quote:

And besides you wouldn't catch me wearing it in public even with my huge head to disguise it

We're trying to help someone else find headphones, not you. Why do people give horrible advice to others based on the fact that you have a thing about headphone aesthetics? Has Spud said anywhere in this thread that he only wants "stylish" headphones? (And who defines what that is?) This is a site devoted to headphone audio. There are plenty of web sites out there devoted to teenagers looking for the latest in stylish crap-phones.

Quote:

Headphones that do justice to MD quality for under £50 is probably not possible. Just so that you know. I have tried quite a few and a tenner's not going to do it.

There are plenty of headphones that "do justice" to MD for that price. Just because you need some kind of aesthetics doesn't mean everyone else does. Heck, even though they're hard to get over there, you can import any of the great Koss portable cans for less than that (and some even look good). For isolation I'm sure the new Sennheisers PX200 can be found for less than £50, and they sure don't look horrible.

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 26
Mac is back!
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 26
if your md is using atrac 4.5 or higher, get the sony d66 eggos. the isolation is good enough for train or bus commuting, and they sound great right out of the md's headphone jack. i believe sony designed eggos with md in mind. for something cheap, the senn mx400 and mx500 are great earbuds for the price.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Mac is back!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
No, I've made a resolution not to get into silly debates anymore
wink.gif
But sometimes something needs to be said, so I said it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 26
Saying earbuds are ****ty because they don't isolate...? Does that mean Grados are ****ty too?

MX500s or D66s - my combo and it is perfect for MD.

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
Saying earbuds are ****ty because they don't isolate...? Does that mean Grados are ****ty too?

Nope; it means that phones that don't isolate are ill-suited for much portable use, simply because of the fact that most portable listening is done in very or extremely noisy environments. In this situation, you'll have to crank up the portable player's volume to permanently deafening levels - if your portable player can even reach that high of a volume - just to even get any music at all whatsoever above that already obnoxious ambient noise!
eek.gif
mad.gif

Don't confuse this with poor quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back