Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
biggrin.gif
No, I've made a resolution not to get into silly debates anymore
wink.gif
But sometimes something needs to be said, so I said it
smily_headphones1.gif

Er, OK.
Perhaps all of you confused 'can't hear anything=shyte' with 'not isolated=shyte'. I'm not saying non isolated headphones are shyte! There are situations where you would be in places where there is noise (after all a MD player is portable and you won't be carrying around a padded room with you) if there is noise and you cant hear the music, or turn it up to extremely high levels even a Grado is shyte most of the time.
The eggos do isolate a bit, not too much apparently for the sake of safety so if you want something which you can hear the outside with I would say these are the phones to choose.

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
We're trying to help someone else find headphones, not you. Why do people give horrible advice to others based on the fact that you have a thing about headphone aesthetics? Has Spud said anywhere in this thread that he only wants "stylish" headphones? (And who defines what that is?) This is a site devoted to headphone audio. There are plenty of web sites out there devoted to teenagers looking for the latest in stylish crap-phones.

Point taken, Spud can make up his own mind.
biggrin.gif

dork!.jpg

(Lobstersan)

hd280style.jpg
(someone else who shall remain anonymous)

I feel self conscious even when wearing the 7506!

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #18 of 26
I especially like the first pic.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I would NEVER wear something that looks like that in public. At least audio technicas look nice
biggrin.gif
. I wonder if I could get money for using ATH-A55s as portable headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 26
Maybe the Sennheiser HD 212 Pros that someone else was going on about here? I didn't like it too much and got rid of it pretty soon(a bit too much thud thud thud like the EX70) but it's closed and isolates, cheap-ish at £40 typically, it doesn't fold though which I thought was a bit of a pain trying to use it with a walkman, and the silver finish starts to rub off soon.

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 26
Well guys in the end I've gone for Sennheiser MX400. I know they're open but they are for use at work in a not very loud enviroment. The reason I said I wanted closed was cos I didnt want everyone else to suffer all the sound leaking out into the office, but the Senns seem ok cos I dont listen that loud anyway.

Just like to add they're a huge improvement on the original earphones that came with the player.

And yes we are allowed to use personal stereos at work! It's cos the work is so boring they were finding it hard to get people to do overtime and there as a big backlog of work. It really makes the job a lot more tolerable!

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i believe sony designed eggos with md in mind. for something cheap, the senn mx400 and mx500 are great earbuds for the price.

Redshifter: From your experience, what is a good match for the old Sony R70? I lean towards earbuds but will consider headphone alternative.

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 26
HI: I use a minidisc a lot and have tried a lot of different cans on it. The problem with my minidisc is the power out put at only 5 m/w. I have found after a lot of trail and era That a amp a very small one the super mini amp was the thing that opened up my choice of cans fore the minidisc. The small amp lets me chose a large range of cans and the sound is great on most of the cans. I am talking about very good sound but with out the amp you can use some ear phones that will sound ok. Like the Aiwa VX100 but you are limiting your self to just ok sound.

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #24 of 26
Thanks, LTUCCI. I'm looking at Xin's supermini and supermicro. If I go this route, want something small enough to carry in the protective sleeve with the player. Any other cans recommended for the old Sony r70 unamped?

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by oosoo
Thanks, LTUCCI. I'm looking at Xin's supermini and supermicro. If I go this route, want something small enough to carry in the protective sleeve with the player. Any other cans recommended for the old Sony r70 unamped?

I use the MZR900. Doesn't really matter which MD you've got, they all run about 16 ohms output impedance and about 5mW of power (i.e. nothing). If you want unamped phones, they should have impedance less than 64 ohms and be really efficient...the Grado SR60s fit the bill, and sound fantastic. I actually use a set of Sennheiser PX200s instead, because i spend so much time on the subway. If you can't get a good seal with the PX200s, they're terrible, otherwise they're great on the train.

Look into Beyerdynamic's DT 231, too. Might be a good choice for you, whether or not you're on the train.

Mar 17, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by oosoo
Redshifter: From your experience, what is a good match for the old Sony R70? I lean towards earbuds but will consider headphone alternative.

the sony d66 eggo, and the koss kcs-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back