Headphones comparable to Andromedas?
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BeerNuts

100+ Head-Fier
Still pretty new to the whole hifi thing but I jumped in already with a Sony zx300 and a set of Andromedas. What I am curious about is if I started to also build out a headphone setup to compliment what I have. Can anyone suggest headphones that would have a equal or greater sound to the andromedas's? I really don't want to downgrade from what I have I just want a different listening experience. I cant go out and demo all of these headsets so I don't know in what range to start.

Music varies from 80's, classic rock, MJ, Dave Mathews, Ska, to Regge so it would need to be well suited for general listening.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Audeze has a pretty solid lineup starting from
LCD 3 - Warm midrange God.
LCD 4 - Balanced Neutral warm.
LCD MX4 - Neutral.
LCD 4z - Easier to drive LCD 4 but loses some midrange smoothness.

Focal has another great lineup
Focal Clear - Very Coherent Sound Signature.
Focal Utopia - Detail king let down by small(compared to competitors) soundstage.

Abyss is another beast
Abyss 1266 Phi - Conservative V shaped with the best bass in headphones but slightly hot treble. Midrange is very average. Huge soundstage.

Hifiman has a great lineup too

He1000SE
Arya
Susvara - Dead neutral but extremely hard to drive and lacks texture/might sound a little boring. Highly resolving and very open sound.

Anything below these and Andromeda is better

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Audeze has a pretty solid lineup starting from
LCD 3 - Warm midrange God.
LCD 4 - Balanced Neutral warm.
LCD MX4 - Neutral.
LCD 4z - Easier to drive LCD 4 but loses some midrange smoothness.

Focal has another great lineup
Focal Clear - Very Coherent Sound Signature.
Focal Utopia - Detail king let down by small(compared to competitors) soundstage.

Abyss is another beast
Abyss 1266 Phi - Conservative V shaped with the best bass in headphones but slightly hot treble. Midrange is very average. Huge soundstage.

Hifiman has a great lineup too

He1000SE
Arya
Susvara - Dead neutral but extremely hard to drive and lacks texture/might sound a little boring. Highly resolving and very open sound.

Anything below these and Andromeda is better

Awesome thanks! I had pretty much forgot about this post since it had died. I was looking at some Focal's at some point but just ended up buying the CA Solaris with the cash. I spend quite a bit of time living out of a suitcase so IEM are always a good bet. It just hard when you jump into a new hobby and buy stuff to know where you fit in the hobby. I had people recommend things like HD650's in other sites where I asked the same question. Not as anything better than the Andros but as a "you should start here" "great value more money" kinda thing. I didn't get them because I knew surely my $900 IEM must be better than a $200 headphone. I was looking for a better or same level as the Andros for sure. I has also considered the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and Sennheiser hd 800 as possible options as well but didn't find out much about how they would compare. No use spending money to go backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back