Headphones / Cans causing Cancer?
Mar 15, 2006 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Audiofiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Whoa!
Has anyone heard of or read any news on prolonged headphone usage and how it may be attributed to or causing cancer (what doesn't cause it these days I know)? Had read some info on the wireless units and bluetooth models which I do not listen to, but was curious to see if there was any buzz out there about this topic nonetheless..

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 36
Cellphones, bluetooth, and the like are an entirely different beast -- it's not the earbuds or whatever that's causing the cancer, it's the EM radiation. In most of those cellphones' cases, the radiation is above acceptable levels when you place it against your head. That's why you should always use the earpiece.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 36
Audiofiles: For normal (= wired) headphones, I personally don't worry at all. That's comparatively low frequeny and energy radiation (= on my personal danger scale that would equal a warm summer breeze
wink.gif
). If one would have to worry about that, electric shavers, hairdryers et cetera would be much more dangerous. I'm not worried about Bluetooth, either - same goes for anything in that radiation class with fast frequency hopping: Even if it's around the resonance frequency of certain molecules, it's still very low energy - and the fast frequency hopping should more or less prevent resonance, anyway. I might be rather worried, if I had to live very close to military radar stations, for example - but otherwise I feel pretty save about most consumer electric devices. Amateur radio stuff is a bit more dangerous, but, at least over here, you have to learn quite a bit to get the license, so a radio amateur usually knows that a 200 W ukw sender with a parabolic antenna is not the thing one'd want to stand directly before, when it's in operation...
evil_smiley.gif

In other words, there are a lot of parameters that have influence on the danger potential of electric devices. And as usual with technology, the more one understands about the stuff, the better one can estimate potential dangers.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Oh, I forgot: With dynamic headphones (are/were there magnetostatic ones, btw?), there's also that permanent magnetic field issue. Oh, well... I guess, that's another summer breeze on my danger scale.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.P.S.: Got to confess, that I'm not so sure about some other technologies there: I haven't been really worried about 900 MHz GSM and our analogue wireless phones over here - not so sure about 1900 MHz GSM and DECT. The fact, that two of my friend who are or have been into mobile phone development both aren't so sure about 1900 MHz GSM and DECT as well as 802.11x WLAN, doesn't comfort me, either.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 36
Warning! Living causes Death. Everyone one who has ever lived has or will die.

There is a scientifically proven direct correlation between living leading eventually to death.

Mitch

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Warning! Living causes Death. Everyone one who has ever lived has or will die.

There is a scientifically proven direct correlation between living leading eventually to death.

Mitch

Do you have any evidence to back this outrageous claim? I've lived for over 690 yrs and never heard of such a thing.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Do they cause cancer too?
confused.gif
eek.gif

Only the yellow ones.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
zomgz! No more lemon for me in my Coke. Gotta keep unhealthy things away!
biggrin.gif

lemons + cocaine = bad

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
There can be only one...

-Queen song playing in background-

Yes, I am an immortal. No, I can't make you one. Club rules.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
are you saying cocaine on its own is good?
tongue.gif

Pick your poison, but don't mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back