Headphones Broke'd!
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
Hey everyone - Haven't posted in ages, been pretty content with the lower-budget system I have working, picked up a StyleAudio Emerald DAC from Whiplash Audio and love it.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's and they have recently broken!

They were in a bag in the back of my car and kind of were knocked around and smushed a little bit, and now when I plug them in there's just nothing..

Just wondering the first place to look to when diagnosing a problem? It seems like the most reasonable problem would be that a cable broke somewhere in the line, because there's no audio at all, not even the slightest bit.

Thanks a lot for the help, and if you're wondering why I have the HD-280's or why they were in my car getting beaten around: I'm a film student and I take them on set all the time when I operate the camera or cover sound, because they're closed so I can hear what's going on clearly and they deliver some great tones in the dialog range.

-Zack

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveDuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering the first place to look to when diagnosing a problem? It seems like the most reasonable problem would be that a cable broke somewhere in the line, because there's no audio at all, not even the slightest bit.

Bingo. Do you have a multimeter? I usually do a simple continuity test if something isn't working. If you don't have that setting use the ohm meter setting (if it's open/not connected it shouldn't read anything). If you don't have a multimeter you can plug it in and play music then slowly working your way up the cable, bending the cable as you go. (If you may get intermittent sound, that equals cable problems).

Depending on the cost of these headphones my best recommendation would either be recabling or buying a new pair (if cheap enough).

ADDITION: Looking at it, it would be a bitch to recable, but I'm sure it's the cable from the headphones to the plug that's the problem (easier). I'm guessing Sennheiser cheaped out and used 3 conductor cabling so if the ground wire breaks neither left or right will produce sound (single ground wire from headphones to plug).

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah.. One of my relatives is an audiophile who does a lot of work on equipment and said they'd be really a pain to recable.. =(

Don't feel like spending $85 for a new pair. I need to be more careful with this stuff

Thanks a lot

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Well then I guess you will be figuring out how to get into cable side and replacing the cable. I'd wouldn't spend to much on the new cable (something durable and cheap (cost wise not quality wise)).

I'm no help here. I know more about getting into AKG headphones then Sennheisers.

P.S. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back