HEADPHONES>>>best bang for the buck
Jan 12, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 43
Closed: MDR-V6: Best monitoring cans for broadcasting, recording, production, editing, DJing and just to listen to music. Great sound unamped.

Open and mobile: SR-60 and igrado

Clip: KSC-35

IEM: Super.fi 5 Pro

Canalphone: JVC Marshmallows

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as a rule of thumb, "bang for buck" doesnt apply to $1000+ top of the line gear in this sense... lol

another vote for the grado sr60 and sr80. better than any other headphone i've gotten for under $100... never tried AKG K501s though...

marshmallows are really really great for the price. my only complaint with something that really pisses me off about them is the bass drums drown out the synthesized bass guitars on rap songs.
frown.gif

Well considering I prefer it to the R10s, O2, and HE-90 which are several times the price each, they are a value.

But I have changed my mind anyway. After hearing my KSC-75 for another day unamped straight out of my laptop, they take the cake. They are fast and good across the board for $10-20. I've spent more than that on lunch today.

I wonder how they'd sound out of my home system?

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closed: MDR-V6: Best monitoring cans for broadcasting, recording, production, editing, DJing and just to listen to music. Great sound unamped.

2nded. Whatever you think of them, they're a monitoring staple and thus can do any style of music capably--for $60ish new it's hard to complain. They're a classic choice.

Beyond that, every time I see these types of threads I think KSC-75 along with everyone else.

As an aside--I think HD650 is a completely offbase suggestion for this thread though. You need a lot of money in amps and high-end sources to get *anything* out of those. They're not an "out of the box and ready to go" product by any stretch of the imagination--exactly the opposite in fact. So depending on your definition of "bang for buck", you get NO bang for buck out of HD650s.

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #35 of 43
KSC75, I liked them better than all the headphones that I don't own anymore in my sig - even the E2c which costs a few times more. I think it is even with the HD201 in SQ with tradeoffs and a lot less enjoyable than HD595s but then they're 15 times the cost.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PHILIPS SBC HP-250

yes im serious
biggrin.gif

They may be my favorite fullsize bang for the buck cans I have. The KSC75 beats it in sound quality, but the HP250's should not be overlooked. It's super comfy and offers outstanding sound in the 15-20 price point. I do find it difficult to recommend because it's rather hard to drive. That is somewhat surprising for a dirt cheap pair of consumer cans.

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #38 of 43
Beyerdynamic DT 231, both versions (pro and simple).

For around 50$ you get a full-bodied, punchy sound from headphones which are closed back but do not sound like. A bit rough and bright for some, but decent bass and good definition (clarity). Very comfy, easily driven.
An excellent introduction to the true hi-fi sound.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #39 of 43
HD580
HD595

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #41 of 43
I owned several pairs of ksc-75s. I can't think of any cans under $125 that are significantly better than them. I actually think they're comparable to the SR-60's, and always recommend them to friends who are looking to get good headphones without spending a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back