Headphones as microphone
Apr 6, 2004 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
The question is, can I damage my headphones if I accidentally plug my stereo headphone into the mono microphone input of my laptop?

Apr 7, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 28
I did it the other day. It's called "Ghetto Mic-ing". I've actually done this a lot, with many different types of cans. Just the ohter day, I used my V6's. I plugged them into the line in of my IHP and recorded myself playing guitar. Sounded pretty good actually. Put the Sony's on a stool right next to the Twin Reverb and used 128 kbps mp3...very nice stuff.

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 28
I have used my Sennheiser HD580 as a microphone, I changed wiring with my speakers and headphones, and I noticed that the speakers were playing the sounds picked up by the headphones. The sound quality was decent, better than my makeshift clip-on mic. Does this work with all headphones? Can anyone explalin why?

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 28
what do you mean why does it work??? ... a microphone is just the same as a speaker, you pass a coil past a magnet and it generates charge (mic) as opposed to using charge to move the coil past the magnet (speaker). im sure you could use a microphone as a small and crappy speaker if you plugged it into the headphone out.

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 28
it works for the same reason a normal mic works. the diaphragm of the driver of the headphones is moved by the molecules of air that make up a soundwave. this driver is attached to a coil of wire (voice coil) which rests between a magnet. as the coil moves through the magnetic field a current is produced.

your headphones normally work the same way....just reversed.

edit: zoot beat me to it
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 28
Depends whether the mic jack supplies voltage to drive the fet amplifier in an electret ('condenser') mic. And whether that voltage is as current limited as it should be.

I've only heard of one person having a problem with it.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generaly a laptop dosn't have enough power to hurt you cans period. The Mic is an "inny" and the H/P out is an "outy"
YOUR SAFE !!!!!

However, PC mic jacks usually provide a DC bias voltage (likely to be about 3-12 VDC) for electret condenser mics. I'm not sure if it would cause any harm, but it's something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back