Headphones and value
Feb 10, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SodiumChloride

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for some headphones around $100, but I've been wondering about how much better the more expensive ones are. Of course, a higher price doesn't always mean better sound, but I'm sure that you can't buy a top-of-the-line set for cheap.

Which headphones would you consider to have the most value for their cost?

How much better is a typical $500 set than a $100 set?

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 5
There is a huge discussion here about headphones and their "value."

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SodiumChloride /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....but I'm sure that you can't buy a top-of-the-line set for cheap.

Don't be so sure about that. There are terrific bargains on the market right now.

For one, you can pick up the Sennheiser HD-580 for $125 at Amazon. It was their flagship for some time, and is still pretty close in sound to the HD-650. Another former flagship is the AKG K-501. Yeah, it's a controversial headphone, but I've seen them stocked at a couple places (still) around $120. If you're not a bass head and willing to amp it properly, the K-501 is like the baby K-1000. Same sound signature and unbelievable mids. If you like that sound, it is amazing. The other former (I think) flagship is the Beyerdynamic DT880. I don't know if you can pick up a 2003 model for $149 any longer, but it's an incredible value.

The expensive cans are good, no doubt about it, but you can get most of the way there for $150 and less. Look for used ones here and you should hit the $100 mark, no problem.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the K-501 is like the baby K-1000. Same sound signature and unbelievable mids. If you like that sound, it is amazing.

you, sir, just made my day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back