Headphones and health
post-813776
Post #1 of 28

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Just curious: are there any studies which show the relationship between headphones use and brain tumour (just like how some studies show the relationship between mobile phones and brain tumour).

Don't be alarmed - I'm just curious.

post-813779
Post #2 of 28

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
No, but I'm sure somewhere you can find evidence that they cause cancer. I mean, what doesn't these days?

After I told my mom today that I planned on buying some more headphone gear, she said she was going to kill me if I kept spending my money on this stuff. I guess that can be hazardous to my health

post-813790
Post #3 of 28

EightyEight

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Same here man...it was hard even buying my a500 without my mom killing me.
They just dont understand us :'(

post-813841
Post #4 of 28

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
After I told my mom today that I planned on buying some more headphone gear, she said she was going to kill me if I kept spending my money on this stuff. I guess that can be hazardous to my health

post-813845
Post #5 of 28

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I never thought of this, could this seriously be possible?

post-813854
Post #6 of 28

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
There is some material on the Ultrasone website referring to studies suggesting that some headphones produce strong enough electromagnetic fields to be dangerous. They also suggest that different headphones have different emission levels. I'd imagine that canalphones are safer for long term listening than other headphones (due to the smaller magnets and coils) but it would be interesting to see actual data.

post-813856
Post #7 of 28

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I highly doubt anything like tumors can be successfully linked to headphones. I'm still quite skeptical about the cell phone "brain tumor" theory.

I do know of one thing a headphone can cure. It doesn't work everytime, but when I have my daily severe back pains, listening to soothing music takes some of the pain away. Whether it puts my muscles in a more relaxed state, or it helps my brain create more "pain killing" endorphins, I do not know?? But I do know it happens.

post-813860
Post #8 of 28

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
No, but I'm sure somewhere you can find evidence that they cause cancer. I mean, what doesn't these days?

Or you may find evidence that thay prevent heart disease. I mean, what doesn't these days?

post-813864
Post #9 of 28

geek42

Head-Fier
Reaction score
As an aside - is there any link between extended headphone use and hearing loss? I feel my ears are more affected by my headphones then when I'm playing music over speakers, even at the same (percieved) volume... Maybe I'm just listening to it louder on my headphones without realizing it.

post-813869
Post #10 of 28

mikeliao

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I listen to my phones when I get back to the hotel or sometimes go home after work. Usually I'm stressed out and overworked. Music calms me down and gives me the time and space to relax. And since I'm usually on the road, I can only carry headphones. So in this sense, headphones have a direct and positive relationship with my health.

post-813871
Post #11 of 28

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
I'm still quite skeptical about the cell phone "brain tumor" theory.

The evidence is getting fairly strong for that one. The only reason anyone believed otherwise was because microwaves are not ionizing radiation, but now that changes in cellular nuclei have been demonstrated from the thermal effects of microwave radiation, it's reasonable to argue for moderation in cell phone use. Most people can feel the side of their head warm up after they've spoken on a cell phone for 10-15 minutes. Makes sense to practise moderation.

post-813872
Post #12 of 28

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
ok, you guys wanna know the reason why headphones cause some diseases ?

well, im sure many of us here, in order to get the headphones (or rigs) they want, they have to sacrifice something to afford them...
so one of the alternative is, eating cheap instant noodle repeatedly for a long period of time.... thats why you got cancer...

and the brain tumour issue... i have to agree, headphones give you brain tumour, thats because the person who has brain tumour, he was listening to JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE with his headphone.

post-813880
Post #13 of 28

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Weren't cell phone tumors more a product of the waves being zapped to the antenna of your phone, right by your head? Thats why most cell phone manuals now a days say to avoid contact, and many people insist on using hands free headsets whenever possible.

Headphones wouldn't have the same effect, it seems. I mean, magnets and a vibrating diaphragme shouldn't do anything like that.

post-813888
Post #14 of 28

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Weren't cell phone tumors more a product of the waves being zapped to the antenna of your phone, right by your head? Thats why most cell phone manuals now a days say to avoid contact, and many people insist on using hands free headsets whenever possible.

Cell phones emit microwaves. The closer you are to the source of those waves, the stronger the effect. So it's definitely ill-advised to touch the antenna, but holding the headset close to your head but not touching doesn't solve the problem, just lessens it. Hands-free devices seem to be a good idea. For fun, if you're interested in exploring this and you have unlimited minutes, you can melt a chocolate bar by placing it close to your cell phone and talking to someone.

With headphones, we're talking about a different thing: the magnetic field generated by the diaphragm, which oscillates at much lower frequencies. This is more akin to the risks of living next to high-frequency power lines than cell phones.

post-813889
Post #15 of 28

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
dj mocok,

I agree! I believe the term for the disease is called upgraditis. A sad and painful disease that can actually have huge affects in other aspects of our lives...this is the truth at least IME.

Wodgy,
It's a good thing I've chosen not to own a cellphone. I've gotten along without one for so long, so why should it be any different in this cell phone age. Now, the only thing I better watch out for is second hand cell phone tumors.

But I do know about all the research that is being done. The fact that there are many studies out there, both completed and in the process, tells me that there is a good possibility of cell phones causing tumors. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)