Headphones and fashion
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
Be honest here - if u wear a set of full size cans down the street does that make u look like a d-bag? There used to be a time before the proliferation of iPods and the ubiquitous (and goddam annoying) ibuds they used to be acceptable, but I hardly see them any more. If u rock K1000's u look like a d-bag as a rule, but does this extend to full sized cans in general?

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 33
How about Audio Technica Closed back phones? I wore my ATH-A700 which was like a what ? two big bra cup cover my ears, but no one give a damn weird sight to me. Some say it looks like a real Headphones to them from the front view where u actually see the ear cups design.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 33
i have yet to see someone go out with their alessandro/grados. but i have seen others with AT and smaller AKG

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the headphones, most of the Skullcandies I'd say yes.

heh they don't sell for their sound that's for sure. of course im talking about general public opinion rather than our niche opinion

changin the topic to : has headphones ever gotten u +ve attention from the opposite sex?

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 33
Is a street the proper place to wear cans !? Due to the dangerousness and rudeness of it while among people it is considered by the authorities to ban this !
regular_smile .gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 33
Why would you care in ANY way what others think about what you look like?

If anything you're the person who has good headphones, enjoying awesome music and not being a god dang generic citizen.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipHan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you care in ANY way what others think about what you look like?

If anything you're the person who has good headphones, enjoying awesome music and not being a god dang generic citizen.

Not everyone has such high self esteem as you. While this holds true most of the time that strangers don't give a crap about what you do as long as it doesn't involve them, I think part of us still wants to fit in in the society around us. I personally don't enjoy cold stare from anyone. Also as someone else mentioned already, the more you stand out the easier you will become the victim of thieves. I prefer IEM in the street. There is no need for anyone else to know how much I enjoy music.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an age limit for this thread?

Yes , come back later !
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 33
Who cares? Listen to what you want whenever you want. The only reason I wouldn't take the K-1000 in public is because there's too much external noise. Amping it wouldn't be easy, either.

The only people who look like idiots are those who slavishly follow fashion.

And if anyone says something, offer them a listen.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 33
I agree with Uncle Erik - do we build our lives around whether others find us attractive with a pair of headphones on our noggins ? Therein lies the path to eternal damnation (and Bose, which is a lot like hell minus the company of people who have led interesting lives).

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 33
I think it would make you look different, however I would have no problem with wearing them around. However IEMs are easier, so I choose them.

However on the subject of d-bags, I know a guy who thinks it's cool to wear these around everywhere he goes:

ti_green-yellow.jpg

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 33
Personally, the only thing I don't like about wearing headphones outside is that it puts an awkward dent in my hair. It doesn't really work unless you wear short hairstyles.

IMO, portable headphones are fine in fashion, but not full-sized cans. Good fashion is always based the idea of portraying an image. If you wear headphones out, the image you want to portray is that you care about music and are knowledgeable about sound quality.

If you wear open headphones outside, you look bad because the sound won't be good in noisy environments, so it makes you look ignorant or just dumb. If you wear huge full-size headphones, you look bad because they're impractical and generally need serious full-size amps to sound good (even if they don't need one, they LOOK like they need one, which is what matters in fashion), so you'll look like you're dumb or don't know how to spend money.

The rest of your clothes also affect how the headphones will look. I.E., if you wear a preppy or clean-cut getup and add headphones, you give off a nerdy/uptight vibe that doesn't really look good. On the other hand, if you add headphones to a laid back "music-inspired" look, adding headphones around your neck or on your head looks good.

For comparison, The classic "ipod" look is: colorful tshirt, loose khaki shorts, flip-flops/sandals, mp3 player in pocket and earbuds with white cord, and add whatever accessories you regularly wear. This look is really easy to pull off which is why you see so many people do it. It portrays an easygoing, laidback, "fun" personality.

If you wear headphones instead of earbuds, you can't do the laidback "ipod" look because you will draw attention to the headphones, so you need to build a look around that fact. You can either go for the "music lover" look (band shirt, slim jeans, canvas shoes, etc.) or if you are up for a challenge, you can try to portray the "I'm a DJ at night" image (much harder to pull off): urban-styled graphic tshirt, optional white undershirt, wrist-watch with neutral colors (silver/black/darkbrown, some red or white on face is okay), dark fitted jeans (no skinny jeans), sleek sneakers with colors that match or complement tshirt design (red works well these days)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back