Headphones and airplanes
Oct 10, 2002 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I will be traveling by air and was curious about how in-ear phones react to the airplane's compression (which normally causes people's ears to "pop"), and which ones still make enough noise to bug other people. There seems to be a little controversy over the noise-leakage issue....

I might pick up a cheap earbud, more for blocking out noise than actualy listening, so I'm not sure how much quality really matters. Currently I have the V6 for isolation in public. (Poor me.
cool.gif
) But I don't know what to do with that massive coiled cord. Twist-tie it together, maybe? Anyway, how quiet is the V6 to the outside world?

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 28
Last time I was on an airplane I had to use some really really crappy and cheap headphones because my others one broke earlier that day. It was horrible. They leaked sound so much, sounded awful, and they had no isolation at all. I can't really help you though
wink.gif

As for the V6, I keep the coiled cord in my pocket and it's fine. Mine don't leak any sound at all, but I'm also not listening to music at a max volume. On my ChromeX I listen to it at 25-30 out of 40 and no one in the car I'm has complained.

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 28
On airplanes, Etymotics are your best bet. I've used them countless time, and I've never had a problem with compression. Nothing will eliminate a plane's noise better than a pair of Ety 4P/Ss.

Oct 11, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 28
What FCJ said.... and then some.

Ety's are MADE for folks that have to take long plane rides. The block out so much sound that you don't hear the screaming child in the seat behind you. Engine noise is reduced to a low rumble that is more felt than heard. AND, they deliver outstanding quality tunes! Makes air travel sooo much more pleasant.

Would suggest getting the ER4P, add the S adapter cable from Fixup (www.fixup.net) or from HeadRoom, add a META42 amp (from JMT, Eric343, Tangent or the SuperMini META variant from Fixup), and a decent PCD and yer off!

Good luck!
Bruce

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 28
I travel a fair amount, the Ety has changed the experience into something approaching pleasantry. My ER-4Ps of course deliver stellar sound, but the ability to tune out the rest of the plane is such a relief. As soon as I sit down, in they go, making sure the flight attendant sees the jack so I don't get hassled about no electronic devices. With no music I can doze off. There is a bit of sound leakage, but it's soooo much better. Then add Tom Harrell, Dave Douglas or Clifford Brown & viola, I'm in my own little world.

I have a portable META42, but it's still a bit large to carry (I try to travel light), so someday I'll have to have JMT pick me up some curiously strong mints....

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Bobby C
There is a bit of sound leakage, but it's soooo much better. Then add Tom Harrell, Dave Douglas or Clifford Brown & viola, I'm in my own little world.

I've never really had a problem with sound leakage from my Etys. Have people around you complained?

To second (or third) everyone's comments, not only will you experience superior isolation, but amazing sound.

Great trumpet players, BTW.

Oct 11, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 28
Has anyone tried beyer dt770pro on the airplane? coz probably I'm gonna try it out (bring lots of battery coz the portable probably won't last very long driving the high impedance beyer)...
I wonder if it gives sufficient isolation ?
The last time I used senn eh2270 and the isolation is not too bad.. but the airplane sound can still be heard quite clearly..

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm thinking about a Senn 202 as a cheap, lightweight-cord solution to my air travel. Unfortunately, either the one I'm trying out right now needs a lot more burn-in, or this isn't the phone for me, because right now everything it plays sounds like a Concerto for Lower Mids....My 497 really sounded much better even out of the box.

Oct 11, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 28
Hey GanChan.... that's great to know. I saw some 202s at compusa last weekend and they really got my curiosity going. If the 497s smoke them, I guess I'll just leave them on the shelf at the store. When I did a search on head-fi, the one major criticism of the 202s people seemed to have was problems with detail and treble. Maybe that's why they seem to emphasize the lower mids... cause they start to loose their luster in the highs? Doesn't sound like they'd be for me, either.

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 28
I feel kind of weird saying that, because the 202 gets some very good reviews here. But my KCS-50 is much clearer and more detailed, and cost half the price. Even the Koss R80 (is that the right name for it?) is a closer match for the V6 or 497 than the 202 is, to my ears. The 202 basically sounds like a 497 with the Bass Boost engaged and the treble turned way down.

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 28
Hey FCJ,

Sorry about that sound leakage comment. Absolutely, I've never had sound leakage from my ETYs, just doesn't happen. What I was referring to was sound seapage from the outside world into my ears w/ the ETYs in. If a kid is really yelling in back of me, I can hear it w/ my ETYs in, but barely...

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Bobby C
Hey FCJ,

Sorry about that sound leakage comment. Absolutely, I've never had sound leakage from my ETYs, just doesn't happen. What I was referring to was sound seapage from the outside world into my ears w/ the ETYs in. If a kid is really yelling in back of me, I can hear it w/ my ETYs in, but barely...

No need to apologize--I thought that maybe if they did leak sound everyone who ever sat near me on a plane didn't comment because they liked the music I was listening to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I've never really had a problem with sound leakage from my Etys. Have people around you complained?

I think the sound leakage he is talking about is inbound. THere is no leakage of music with the Etys as you get with open headphones.

I too would throw in another recommendation for the Etys for travel. They also make waiting areas alot more bearable as you can revert to your own world and are not bothered by all of the noise of an airport.

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 28
A consensus appears to be forming.
smily_headphones1.gif

Etys are very good for plane travel. On the smaller commuter planes I can still hear quite a bit of engine noise, but it takes the harshness out of it. When you pull the Etys out the noise is deafening in comparison.

Also, like John_jcb said these work GREAT while you're waiting for your plane. You have to sit where you can watch the departure board or gate though because you can't hear any of the announcemements.

Oct 12, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 28
Hey guys,

I don't own any Ety's (although I wish I could ...), and was wondering if there are any alternatives to the ety's? I mean, yes, canal phones block out by far the most sound, but is there something..perhaps a cheaper alternative that offers just as much isolation?

-nobody020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back