Headphones + Amp under $500 recommendations?
Oct 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Xawr

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been trolling around here for awhile now. I'm still new to this whole headphone world, been using IEMs for the last 3-4 years. Finally, I have deciding to buy actual cans...

I enjoy just about any genre of music, however, I do listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop/r&b/ballads/pop/classical.

I've heard good things about the DT880 (600/250?) and the D2000, and from what I've been reading, they require a decent amp to bring out their full potential? Any recommendations on headphones?

As for the amp, I do prefer if it's something portable that's rechargeable (I don't like using batteries much), but it doesn't have to be. It'd be nice if I can bring use it with my IE8s commuting to work.

I'm looking to spend about ~300 on headphones and ~150-200 on an amp, any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 12
for headphones i would recommended D2000, for amp i would recommend EF-1.
i am not into the whole portable thing, so i cant make any recommendation. personally i think for portable, you should just go for cans that sound good and dont need an amp. ie. SRH440

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 12
I bought a new hifiman ef2 amp to go along with my new Shure SRH 840 headphones.

They are a killer combo.

Price breakdown is as follows:

EF2 amp-$205 or so shipped,

SRH 840 phone-$200 or less shipped.

I doubt, for this price, that you could beat the combo.

Matt
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 12
I think you mean browsing not trolling.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 12
@Commanderloochy Yeah, okay, you win. I've been "browsing" forums lol.

I have considered the SRH840 considering I probably could get them for under $180. How do they compare to the DT880/D2000?

I have emailed jaben.net to see if they still offer the DT880/Edge combo, no reply yet. Any more recommendations?

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 12
I have heard every dynamic headphone and so far, in your price range, the Beyer DT 880is the best choice. It does everything well. The 250ohm is the best price point. Several different amps to choose from with the 250 wheras the 600 requires more $$ than I think you want to spend. New prices at least.

Consider Stax too but that is more $$$.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the responses guys. I was leaning towards the DT880 from the beginning, but looking for a proper amp is the problem now, which brings me to... 250 ohms vs 600 ohms?

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xawr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses guys. I was leaning towards the DT880 from the beginning, but looking for a proper amp is the problem now, which brings me to... 250 ohms vs 600 ohms?

At your price point you have to go with the 250 ohm version. look at people's signatures, find someone who is a DT880-lover (there are many here) and PM them a question about a budget amp they would recommend. EF1 or EF2 are probably good contenders for desktop setups. If mobility is your preference, then go with an M^3 or ~browse~ the sales forums for a used predator or pico portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back