Headphones 80$ Music/gaming
Sep 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

IntensityX

New Head-Fier
EDIT: I would also like to point out that these are going to be my first "audiophile" headphones, and not being an "audiophile" myself I probably won't notice the small faults in some products.

Hello and thank you for taking your time to read this first of all.

Well the past couple of days I've been searching for a gaming headset and like I always do I look a lot into whatever I'm buying and read that buying a good headset and just a standalone mic would be the best option. The thing is I'm still bit unsure on which headset to get.

My main uses would be 65% music and 35% gaming battlefield being the main game then minecraft, but I usually listen to music while playing minecraft. I listen to rock/metal/rap/dubstep mainly, so I am more or less looking for a good all rounder. If the headphones have a mic for 100$ then I don't mind getting that but if they don't I'd prefer they stay 80$ or less as the mic I'm getting is 16$. 

If the headphones have a mic that would be awesome but I see most of them are over 100$ such as the sennheiser pc 350's. I'm usually on a skype call when playing games so if there is a mic on the headphones it has to have good quality. 

Mic I'm looking at-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MYPPPE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know many people recommend the zalman mic, but I don't want it picking up any background noise.

Basically what I'm looking for is

-All around headphones.
-100$ if they have a mic.
-80$ if they don't have a mic.

Thank you!

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 26
I haven't personally tried them out but the Superlux HD 668b (can also be bought under the name of Samson SR850) and HD 681 are both regarded as pretty awesome when it comes to both gaming and music, and they can be had for under $50 shipped via ebay.

You could use the remaining money to get an Antlion Modmic, which once again I haven't personally tried out but hearing samples from youtube makes it seem like it has a great price to performance ratio. Here is a comparison between the Zalman and the Modmic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wagouFraCE

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
I haven't personally tried them out but the Superlux HD 668b (can also be bought under the name of Samson SR850) and HD 681 are both regarded as pretty awesome when it comes to both gaming and music, and they can be had for under $50 shipped via ebay.
You could use the remaining money to get an Antlion Modmic, which once again I haven't personally tried out but hearing samples from youtube makes it seem like it has a great price to performance ratio. Here is a comparison between the Zalman and the Modmic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wagouFraCE

Yea I was looking at the sr850's on amazon which is where I plan to buy the headphones since I have a 20$ giftcard. Is there anything better then the sr850's for about 20$ more?  I was really interested in the modmic, but the thing is they're pretty much sold out.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 26
Koss Pro DJ 100's or Sony MDR-V6's.

The V6's have better bass, but the Pro DJ 100's have better mids. The V6's are also a little more comfortable, and offer better isolation (if that's important to you).

You can get the Pro DJ 100's on Amazon for $80, or the V6's on Newegg for about $70.

If you decide on the V6's, I'd really recommend buying them on Newegg, since the price is about as cheap as you'll find, and you don't risk getting a fake pair.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 26
Yea I was looking at the sr850's on amazon which is where I plan to buy the headphones since I have a 20$ giftcard. Is there anything better then the sr850's for about 20$ more?  I was really interested in the modmic, but the thing is they're pretty much sold out.

At that price range, I can't really think of anything else that would be great for gaming aside from the AD700s (I personally would get these over the Superluxes if it was strictly for gaming, but you also want to use 'em for music so...). They don't have much bass so I don't think you'd be happy with them when it comes to music.

You could try to risk getting a somewhat unknown, at least compared to the Superluxes, headphone called the Takstar Hi2050s, you could also buy them under the name Technical Pro HPT990. From what I've read they have a great soundstage which i'd assume translates to a good experience in battlefield and other FPS games. They also come with velour pads by default so they're going to be more comfortable compared to the stock pleather pads that the Superlux headphones carry. The thing about these is that you might need a different amp, i'm not sure if your current sound card can drive them properly, I might be wrong on that note though so don't let that discourage you. I think there are some people in the thread below who are using it unamped & are happy with it.

Here is the thread for the Takstar headphones if you wanna look at more opinions on them, there are other models in the thread as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/takstar-beyer-oem/180

I can't really give any alternatives for the mic, sorry. ;_;

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 26
Most of what was mentioned I have looked at but it's pretty hard to decide. Gaming sound is not a big priority since in about 2 months I will most likely switch to linux I won't really play any mainstream games other than minecraft, but like I said I usually listen to music while playing that game. As for the mic this is probably what I'm going to get

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MYPPPE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I would really love to get the modmic but I can't really wait for it to go out on sale. This is what I'm more or less deciding on

Samson sr850

Sony mdr v6

Koss prodj100

possibly beyerdynamic mmx2 (pretty much what I need but haven't heard much about them regarding sound)

The ad700s are bit out of my price range for one without a mic plus the no bass is a bit off putting.

I just kind of want something that will suit every music genre pretty well or at least most of the ones I listen to.

Looking into those takstar atm.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 26
Technical Pro HPT990 (Hi2050) headphones, sells on eBay for $45
Comes with decent Velour ear pads.

If all your currently using is motherboard on-board audio, then get the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 26
I snagged a pair of AD700's for $60 on ebay. Watch some auctions for a week or two and I bet you can find some below $80. As far as the bass is concerned, I find it to be very nice. It doesn't have massive impact, but it is there. I find it responds accurately to how the music was recorded.   

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
Technical Pro HPT990 (Hi2050) headphones, sells on eBay for $45
Comes with decent Velour ear pads.

If all your currently using is motherboard on-board audio, then get the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card.

This is the sound card I currently have : http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Champion/dp/B001BDPLJA

I'm looking for something a bit higher quality than that though 80$ is my budget if it's just headphones.
Quote:
I snagged a pair of AD700's for $60 on ebay. Watch some auctions for a week or two and I bet you can find some below $80. As far as the bass is concerned, I find it to be very nice. It doesn't have massive impact, but it is there. I find it responds accurately to how the music was recorded.   

I read a lot the ad700's is highly recommended for gaming though which I plan to stop in the coming months. I just want something that sounds pretty good for most music genres mainly the ones I listen to which are in listed in the OP.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
This is the sound card I currently have : http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Champion/dp/B001BDPLJA

I'm looking for something a bit higher quality than that though 80$ is my budget if it's just headphones.
I read a lot the ad700's is highly recommended for gaming though which I plan to stop in the coming months. I just want something that sounds pretty good for most music genres mainly the ones I listen to which are in listed in the OP.

So your covered sound card wise.
The HI2050/HPT990 give my $130 AKG K242s a run for the money.
I really doubt your going to find anything really better until you go above $150.
The ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off, but nice headphone for laying around after work and getting wasted while relaxing to Newage or Soundscape music.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
So your covered sound card wise.
The HI2050/HPT990 give my $130 AKG K242s a run for the money.
I really doubt your going to find anything really better until you go above $150.
The ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off, but nice headphone for laying around after work and getting wasted while relaxing to Newage or Soundscape music.

I see well I guess it's between the

-Samsons sr850

-HPT990

Which out of those two do you think is

-Most all rounder (will suit most music genres)

-Comfortable 

-Build quality

Thanks again everyone!

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 26
How about the Superlux HD662's? Like the 668b but closed. There are three variants

The 662 (red) has deep rich bass
The 662b (grey) is more balanced with lively sound
The 662f (white) has best clarity with a natural sound

So I think the 662f is closest to the 668b with nicer more detailed bass due to the closed design, mids are a bit less recessed, and the isolation is better. For a closed phone they have a really airy open feel to them.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
I see well I guess it's between the
-Samsons sr850
-HPT990
Which out of those two do you think is
-Most all rounder (will suit most music genres)
-Comfortable 
-Build quality
Thanks again everyone!

Both headphone build quality is about as good as it can get for $50.
HPT990 come stock with Velour ear pads, wins at comfort.
Sound quality is roughly equal.
Both are semi-open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back