Headphones $300-450 recommendation?
Jul 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
I had klipsch image x10. I was deeply amazed how clear the sound can be from sub 200 IEM. I instantly fell in love with it's superb punchy bass,until yesterday. I left my klipsch in the laundry.
frown.gif

I'm looking for pair of cans that can satisfy my picky needs. I listen mainly to techno(60%) and hiphop(40%) for about 4-5hrs daily. I'm also a producer(just as a hobby), and most of my musics are FLAC coded. I don't record any vocals (thanks to my vocaloids) so I don't care if the headphones are open or closed.

As for my device, I use my ancient ipod video 5G with no amp. I never owned pair of headphones that's over $100, so i need some input form you head-fiers.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I had klipsch image x10. I was deeply amazed how clear the sound can be from sub 200 IEM. I instantly fell in love with it's superb punchy bass,until yesterday. I left my klipsch in the laundry.
frown.gif

I'm looking for pair of cans that can satisfy my picky needs. I listen mainly to techno(60%) and hiphop(40%) for about 4-5hrs daily. I'm also a producer(just as a hobby), and most of my musics are FLAC coded. I don't record any vocals (thanks to my vocaloids) so I don't care if the headphones are open or closed.

As for my device, I use my ancient ipod video 5G with no amp. I never owned pair of headphones that's over $100, so i need some input form you head-fiers.

That's strange, since most earbuds can handle the beatings in a laundry. My Brainwavz M2s were washed about 4 times before the stress reliefs broke off, and they still function perfectly.

Anyways, I would suggest a HD600 + Asgard combo. Good all-arounder, great producing headphones. Has a slight bass hump and at the darker/warmer side of neutral, perfect amount of detail to well-sampled and mastered hip hop. Not too sure about how it does with techno since I do not listen to lots of techno but it may lack sparkle. 

Best step into the $500 world in my opinion, safest choice - can fit almost all tastes without being offensive in any real category. However, for the money, it's not known to particularly excel in any real category - bass is not particularly fast and does not have amazing extension, mids are fluid but sometimes don't sound realistic, highs lack real extension and sparkle, soundstage both enormous and small at the same time (hard to describe). However, it is very natural sounding and never fatiguing, EVER. I could listen to the headphone for many hours without getting tired of them, which is not something I can say for my Beyers or my Grados.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 9
+1 Ultrasones

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm going to give the recommendation of the PSB M4U 2. I really like them, but that's not the only reason I'm recommending them. In all the writings about these cans I've seen on the net, I've found only 1 person has commented in any way negatively on the sound quality, and he/she was using a ****ty quality CD/album files to test with, so I completely disregard their opinion. Their opinion is in the second link below.

You can read more of my opinion, and others' opinions in these Head-Fi threads here:
So what is wrong with this 3-way headphone review from Oz?
PSB M4U 2
and decide if you think they might be worth an audition.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 9
You may want to take a look at the HE400, as they're relatively dark. If you want them to be portable, you could pair them with a C421 or National, and be set. Otherwise just grab an O2 or Asgard for desktop use and you'll be a happy camper!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Skip D2000 . avoid HD650 cause to picky with pairing. If want to save money go with HE-400 but be aware they are heavy. If can go higher in price and want light put on and forget headphones get D7000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back