headphonereviews.org ?
Apr 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 18
They say the GS/PS1000s are supra-aural? The ones I know sure aren't. (At least not with elephant ears.) I would stick to head-fi.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 18
As I am sure FA is aware, most of the reviews on that site have historically been written by head-fi members.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 18
Scores are kind of skewed any which way, because 1. Not everyone knows how the headphones they reviewed really stack up, and 2. not everyone gives the same score for the same sound. A good example of this is the PortaPro. Some give it 5s (which would be the fair score for it because of its price) but others will give it 7s or even 8s.

Also, many headphones don't have any reviews, or only a few.

I'd suggest reading the reviews themselves and ignore the scores. Then it could be handy for looking up popular headphones, but nothing obscure.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I am sure FA is aware, most of the reviews on that site have historically been written by head-fi members.

Not like there has ever been any bad advice given here, hmm?
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not like there has ever been any bad advice given here, hmm?
wink.gif

I don't know what you're talking about, I give bad advice all the time.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah. Actually that site was stickied here when I was a new member around here. A lot of reviews there are by headfiers and ex-headfiers.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 18
I think having more reviews about headphones is always good.
I wouldn't mind too much about their rankings or the numerical values people give for certain traits of the headphones, since everyone has different prior experience with which they compare the reviewed headphone.

Nevertheless, reading about what people think are the good and bad points of a headphone are gives you an idea of what they might be, but of course actually trying them out on your own head is the best way to judge.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 18
More reviews is always nice, so why not...

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 18
I run headphonereviews.org , I made it years ago as a centralized place to collect reviews as they could be a bit hard to find on head-fi. 99.9% of the reviews are by users, i've done maybe a dozen myself. I did do the recommendations page, based on personal experience, reviews I read on the site, and what people actually buy according to the site statistics (the site links through to amazon.com).

One of the biggest problems is the small number of reviews for most headphones, so the numbers are only mildly helpful. Still, they're better than nothing. The text of the reviews is more important. Only "senior members" scores are shown and taken into account, I choose senior members based on the information they enter when they register. Basically if someone's owned a few sets of decent headphones, enough to have heard enough good cans to be objective, they're senior. If someone's just bought their first pair of $50 headphones, after using stock buds for years, they rate headphones way too high, so we want their comments but not their scores.

It's not perfect, but I think it's better than cnet.com and places that post reviews that really have no idea about headphones. Suggestions on how to improve the site are welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say the GS/PS1000s are supra-aural? The ones I know sure aren't. (At least not with elephant ears.) I would stick to head-fi.

According to what I can see the website says they're circumaural. I haven't changed that headphone since it was created, as far as I can recall.

The PS1000's aren't in there as no-one's added them yet. Most headphones are added by users, then approved by myself after I quickly check a few facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They recommend Sennheiser HD280, SHUN THEM!

I have some 280s, they're not bad headphones. The highs are a bit crisp, and bass needs EQing up, but they're nice and clear and pretty cheap. They're not that durable though, the headband breaks. If you know something better in the same sort of price range let me know!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back