Headphone you regretted selling & bought again
Apr 4, 2021 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BobG55

Formerly known as Old Groucho
In my case it’s the Sennheiser HD650. Back in 2013, after buying the Audeze LCD 2 rev.2 I sold my HD650 before even receiving the LCD2. My thinking was that the Audeze would be so superior I wouldn’t need or want the HD650 any longer.

Big mistake. Live and learn. I liked the LCD2 rev.2 but after a week or so I began really missing the HD650. Shortly afterwards I bought another HD650 and have never been without one since. It just sounds so good with well produced music and a good amp. At one time it was Sennheiser’s Flagship headphone. I believe most audiophiles either love or hate the HD650. I belong to the former group.

Anyways, this is the headphone I regretted most selling and don’t see myself ever parting with again.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 17
The 650 is a very comfortable headphone (at least with me). So that’s a huge reason why I would never sell it. I think one of the reasons why it’s important to have is because it is popular in recordings studios. Studio guys would check on their monitors and also check on the 650 headphones after the mixing.

Sennheiser headphones and microphones have been used in movie and documentary productions so there is that Hollywood connection too which I like.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 17
I bought and sold the AKG K601, then the K612, only to buy a final pair of K612s. At this point I don't think I'm ever going to sell them. They just have something to them that I haven't heard in any other headphones. I think maybe the main reason I love them so much is that for a solid two years the K601 was my only high end headphone, so I just know them inside and out. I know them better than probably any other headphone I've owned.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 is in a similar boat; I owned and sold them three times. I did sell that one off for good, however, because of the DT1770. I do kind of regret it though, as there are some things I think the DT770 does better, namely comfort and soundstage.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST I think I owned twice and sold. Like the K601/K612 there was a point where they were my sole headphone, so I put tons of time on them. I still think they sound great, and think everyone should at least try them at some point, but I had to move on from them for comfort reasons. The direct contact with my ears just became too much, despite the clamping force being extremely low, and caused actual pain. For years this wasn't an issue, it just hit a tipping point after so long. It's a shame, because if not for that they'd probably be a permanent fixture in my collection.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 17
I bought and sold the AKG K601, then the K612, only to buy a final pair of K612s. At this point I don't think I'm ever going to sell them. They just have something to them that I haven't heard in any other headphones. I think maybe the main reason I love them so much is that for a solid two years the K601 was my only high end headphone, so I just know them inside and out. I know them better than probably any other headphone I've owned.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 is in a similar boat; I owned and sold them three times. I did sell that one off for good, however, because of the DT1770. I do kind of regret it though, as there are some things I think the DT770 does better, namely comfort and soundstage.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST I think I owned twice and sold. Like the K601/K612 there was a point where they were my sole headphone, so I put tons of time on them. I still think they sound great, and think everyone should at least try them at some point, but I had to move on from them for comfort reasons. The direct contact with my ears just became too much, despite the clamping force being extremely low, and caused actual pain. For years this wasn't an issue, it just hit a tipping point after so long. It's a shame, because if not for that they'd probably be a permanent fixture in my collection.
Aren’t there some yaxi pads made specifically for the CD900ST that aren’t supposed to really hurt the sound but improve comfort a lot?

A headphone I sold and bought again and plan to keep would have to be the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2. I regretted ever selling them as I always felt something was missing from my other open backs and the comfort is still basically the best I’ve owned to this day.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Aren’t there some yaxi pads made specifically for the CD900ST that aren’t supposed to really hurt the sound but improve comfort a lot?

Not sure, typically aftermarket pads fly below my radar since I've been burned by them too much. Every time someone recommends a pad that's supposed to be better (or the same) I find them to be a large step down. I've pretty much given up on pad swapping at this point; I figure the engineers knew what they were doing when the selected the pads they did.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Not sure, typically aftermarket pads fly below my radar since I've been burned by them too much. Every time someone recommends a pad that's supposed to be better (or the same) I find them to be a large step down. I've pretty much given up on pad swapping at this point; I figure the engineers knew what they were doing when the selected the pads they did.
That is true, I’ve had a lot of bad luck with pads too, only a couple times had good luck. I’ve had good experience with the MSR7 yaxi comfort pads not ruining the sound of the MSR7b but that was one of the only cases pads didn’t hurt a headphone. While the dekoni beyer pads I tried hurt the Tesla Beyers sound imho. Swapping pads almost always ruins a headphone sound signature for me. If I ever get a CD900ST I’ll get those specific yaxi pads to see if they mostly retain the stock sound while improving comfort or not. I’ve been wanting to try the CD900ST for a while now.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 17
Probably not the most popular, but I had bought a used set of Beats Pros, the silver and black ones with the red cord. I loved them. Then I traded them away for a Specialized bicycle and honestly I wish I still had them. One day I will get another set.

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 17
Hd800 - I'm on my 4th pair right now. More like a love hate relationship. I'm keeping the house, take that, eh.
HD650 - Good set, kinda regret selling it after I've build my 3d printed pad system

Thats it, really

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 17
Probably not the most popular, but I had bought a used set of Beats Pros, the silver and black ones with the red cord. I loved them. Then I traded them away for a Specialized bicycle and honestly I wish I still had them. One day I will get another set.

I remember hearing the Beats Pros back in the day, and I was surprised at how much I liked them, considering how bad the Studios were. Always kinda wanted to own a pair.

That is true, I’ve had a lot of bad luck with pads too, only a couple times had good luck. I’ve had good experience with the MSR7 yaxi comfort pads not ruining the sound of the MSR7b but that was one of the only cases pads didn’t hurt a headphone. While the dekoni beyer pads I tried hurt the Tesla Beyers sound imho. Swapping pads almost always ruins a headphone sound signature for me. If I ever get a CD900ST I’ll get those specific yaxi pads to see if they mostly retain the stock sound while improving comfort or not. I’ve been wanting to try the CD900ST for a while now.

Might be worth trying the different pads; the CD900STs are so good they just might justify rolling the dice.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 17
I have bought used and sold the Utopia twice. It is one of my favorite sounding headphones but the driver failure and lack of warranty keeps scaring me into selling it. The price on it new to get the warranty is too high for me to swallow.

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 17
Two Grado headphones that I bought again during the last few months : the GS1000i & the original PS1000. Both are so clear and detailed headphones. I’ve owned more expensive Grados like, the PS1000e, PS2000e but I prefer the overall sound of the GS1000i & PS1000 & I use them regularly.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 17
I’ve repurchased the hd600 after selling in a moment of weakness. I also had to sell a nice one of a kind auteur when I was laid off during covid but have picked up a b stock pair again.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 17
I sold my hd600 because I was kinda disappointed with them. I did not really regret selling them but I occasionally thought they might deserve a second chance. Nineteen years later I purchased a second pair. They sound quite good to my aged ears.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 17
I sold my hd600 because I was kinda disappointed with them. I did not really regret selling them but I occasionally thought they might deserve a second chance. Nineteen years later I purchased a second pair. They sound quite good to my aged ears.
Indeed. I personally love the HD600. Haven’t been without one since 2003.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 17
In my case is Bowers and Wilkins P5- Bought them on sale a few years ago because I loved how they look, unfortunately, that's the only thing I like about them. The on ear design with compressible foam and tight clamping is just painful to wear and the sound is not at all on par with what I expected headphone from a renowned company.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back