headphone usage
Jun 9, 2002 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
most head-fiers has several high end headphones but only one head(debatable?). I wish I could listen to both of my cans, HD580 and SR-325 at the same time. Every time i use one i wish i could be utilising the other as well.

I tend to listen for long periods say 2-4 weeks on one headphone before swapping phones as i dont want to neglect the other.

I dont found it beneficiary swapping based on music as its troublesome and it takes me a few days on one phone before getting accustomed to the sound of the headphone again.

How do you pick and use your h'phone?

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 31
post #200!! Yippeee!! hahahaa
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 31
if im using noisy equipment = er4s
if i need the hear the phone ring =sen580
but
if I must listen to the er4s I have a vibrator
biggrin.gif
that warns me that the phone is ringing.
and sometimes I feel i must have a break from the er4s, i will switch to sen580 . Too much ear time with the white tips.
but i prefere er4s as i like the isolation. Isolation is a plus , how many of us would like to hear other headphones i isolation like ety's
then there is the amp question.
I now try to use my hansen with perm cross feed as much as possible. but the net md is pretty good with out an amp.

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 31
Woo hoo, post 156! Oh, wait, there's nothing special about that. ...

I only have two pairs of cans, but I use them both daily, pretty much. It's a little different, probably, since one is open and one is closed, but also I just go with whichever one is nearest to the source I happen to be using. Or whichever one begs me most to be used. Your headphones talk to you, too, don't they?

kerelybonto

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 31
For me the HD600 is more forgiving and more comfortable. Its open design makes it impractical for work but fine for home. I typically use the HD600 at home.

The Etymotic is closed design and blocks noise. Thus it is ideal for work. It's also more accurate and more detailed than the HD600 and is thus sometimes useful to use for comparrisons when I'm auditioning other equipment.

I don't "get" the owning 50 headphones thing either. I've tried to pry it out of Rick and Joe Longwood but to no avail.

I ultimately decided the uniqueness of the K1000 wasn't really a worthy enough feature for me and that I'd be happier with just the HD600. The DT931 is great but a little bright unless it's out of a 120 ohm jack, which I only have in the Corda. It's not worth the trouble to have an adapter built when its so close to the HD600. I couldn't justify keeping the ATW2002 when I found myself taking the less colored HD600 over the W2002's resolution on a regular basis. I had no use for the DT831 and 7506 when the Etymotic became my closed headphone of choise. I haven't gotten to hear the Grado HP-1000 yet which I'm told is up my alley, but I worry that the comfort factor might kill it for me. The Stax is definitely up my alley but I needed a good source first. The Stax is probably still on my list and perhaps the Grado. But if I found one rotating out of use, you can expect to find it posted for sale.

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 31
you are all very practical people. i dont think i can bare to part with my phones.

I am suprised the senn is still the reference choice of many compared to kelly's ATW2002, DT931 and Ken's CD3K.

I do like the sr325 and if i had to choice between the sr325 or the hd580, the sr325 would be it. atleast, this point in time.

Jun 9, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 31
The idea behind owning more than one headphone is simple...if you own them all, you essentially cover all bases and no longer have to deal the flaws of any one headphone. I used to own about 6-8 top headphones simultaneously myself. If I felt Sennheisers were too laid back for the current music, I switched over to Grados. If I felt Grados were too forward for the current music, I'd switch over to the Sennheisers. So on, so forth with Sonys, Beyerdynamics, yadda yadda. Eventually not only was this tiresome, but I literally started running out of room to store all these headphones, so I eliminated them one by one (a job the R10s helped me out with quite a bit
evil_smiley.gif
).

My goal had always been to have one solid headphone system utilizing one headphone, not to have two dozen headphones all across my walls. I think I've finally hit that goal with the Etymotic 4Bs. They sound good with everything and the price was right.
smily_headphones1.gif

The other thing is that in the headphone world, headphone collecting is actually possible moneywise and spacewise. You sure can't do the same with speakers and switch among them to compensate for each other's flaws. Because of a headphone's size and relative sound quality to price ratio, collecting them is certainly quite doable and desirable. But for me it's a "been there, done that" case.

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
The idea behind owning more than one headphone is simple...if you own them all, you essentially cover all bases and no longer have to deal the flaws of any one headphone.

I feel it's the opposite of this. You'd have to put up with the flaws of every headphone. You'd switch from HD600 to K501 in order to get more resolution and then you'd go, "but damn, the bass sucks hardcore." It's not like you get some kind of cumulative effect, you just trade one flaw for another. I'd rather pick the flaws I can live with the most and stick with that headphone. It'd be nice to keep the Senns around since they're comfortable and forgiving even if I got the Stax 007 (which to me betters the HD600 in speed, resolution, transparency and neutrality) but how forgiving or comfortable a headphone is is the only trait I could imagine switching back and forth for. (Ie, to me the HD600 is more comfortable than the Etymotic but the Etymotic wins in almost every other way--I'd be Etymotic only if not for this difference).
*shrug*

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 31
K501s @ work
HD600s @ home
Koss when portable

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I feel it's the opposite of this. You'd have to put up with the flaws of every headphone.

Yah but if one indeed owned that many headphones, I'd hope they'd find some flaw that they can be satisfied with for the night. Otherwise you'd have nowhere to run, and be quite screwed.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
You'd have to put up with the flaws of every headphone.

Until we as listeners become a homogenous group, headphones with different sounds are going to appeal to different listeners. What some perceive as flaws may be virtues to others. In order to achieve a wide understanding of the sonic capabilities of headphone systems that exist, it becomes necessary to experience variety, if only to determine our own preferences. But, once we figure out what we prefer, does it stay constant? Not to me. I'm happy if I can nail it down for an evening.

Jun 9, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

The idea behind owning more than one headphone is simple...if you own them all, you essentially cover all bases and no longer have to deal the flaws of any one headphone.

So what are you saying, that if you have three headphones, and they had two flaws each, one each of which is not there in another headphone, that we could listen to the piece three times, one on each headphone, and then we will have heard it? Bleargch! Quote:

Yah but if one indeed owned that many headphones, I'd hope they'd find some flaw that they can be satisfied with for the night. Otherwise you'd have nowhere to run, and be quite screwed.
evil_smiley.gif

Feeling kinda screwed...

PS In answer to the original question, I listen to whatever I happen to feel like at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back