Headphone travelling case
Feb 26, 2006 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Inviting suggestions for a travelling headphone case. It must be a hard case, and able to fit in a suitcase... I'll cap the case dimensions at 5" x 13" x 11".

I'm commuting between my base city and an office abroad quite often at the moment, and I've been lent an electrostatic headphone amp while there, which will probably be replaced by something purchased new or I'll move one of my home amps over. To make use of the amp I've been moving my phones occasionally and I'd like something which serves better as a flightcase. I know the photographic case is the default choice for something you can cut inside to fit, but I can't seem to find any within the dimension limits above and in any case I want something different.

The Orpheus occupies a space approximately 9" x 8" x 4" with the headband extended (which is how I like to store it, as it can then be worn straight away), but I'd like the case to be versatile enough to accomodate phones which vary a little from that size.

90size.jpg

I'm looking for something interesting looking yet protective. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 20
How thick do you need to get one of these cases to include the foam that comes with it. Foam takes up about 2 inches and the case a little more, so would that mean the case would need to be 8 inches think minimum? I order a small one before and it was just to small. Have you taken the foam and modified it and what was the resulting case thickness that worked for you? It appears that the large case is the only case that comes close.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 20
It's going inside a suitcase so it's protected to an extent against hard extenal impacts. Cushioning and anti-deformation is what's required of the case so the Pelikan is probably overkill.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 20
Ooh, good thread! I've been looking for a flight-solution for my HD600 as well. One of those large Pelicans look promising..maybe it could hold my PIMETA as well.

Here's a cheap solution ($39 from Headroom). Don't know if it's large enough for you:

0040010050_1337.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headroom
The HeadCase measures 8.25" (20 cm)high and 8.5" (21 cm) at its widest point, about in the middle of the bag. The bag is just over 4" (10 cm) deep at the bottom end, and tapers up to a slim 2" (5 cm) towards the top.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 20
Or you might try this bag...

pbag.jpg

Seems pretty much the same as the HeadRoom bag at half the price.

See it here.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It's going inside a suitcase so it's protected to an extent against hard extenal impacts. Cushioning and anti-deformation is what's required of the case so the Pelikan is probably overkill.

How much did you pay for the Orpheus? Have you seen how some baggage handlers and taxi drivers treat luggage? I sure would not risk them, better safe than sorry.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
How much did you pay for the Orpheus? Have you seen how some baggage handlers and taxi drivers treat luggage? I sure would not risk them, better safe than sorry.
biggrin.gif

My main suitcase is one of a batch customised for me back in the early 90's. They've been through a lot, and although a couple were rendered unusable after an indirect RPG hit I dare say the case is more than a match for most baggage handlers.

Thanks for the Headcase link. I didn't spot that... I might as well give it a try.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
One of the best cases is the Pelikan Case - water tight, dust proof, almost indistructable. You can see them at: http://www.ausmedia.com.au/pelican.htm

or at:

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/pelican.html

or at:

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Pro...nproducts.html

Good luck.

Almost indistructable, and garranteed for life. I have four pelican cases, one for photo equipment, one for laptop, one for tools, and yes a small one for portable audio, holds amp, player, phones and cables.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

They've been through a lot, and although a couple were rendered unusable after an indirect RPG hit I dare say the case is more than a match for most baggage handlers.

I think an explaination is in order.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

My main suitcase is one of a batch customised for me back in the early 90's. They've been through a lot, and although a couple were rendered unusable after an indirect RPG hit I dare say the case is more than a match for most baggage handlers.

You can't say that and then not give a story!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
You can't say that and then not give a story!
biggrin.gif

All right. The vehicle that had my suitcases in was hit by a couple of RPG's. The contents of the cases just about survived, the occupants didn't.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Thanks for the Headcase link. I didn't spot that... I might as well give it a try.

Where did you get such good luggage? And for how mnuch (given that you can afford an Orpheus I'm guessing it's quite high).

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 20
NNow I'm curious too about the luggage. Pics? (and whats a RPG? All I can think of is role playing game, but that would be way weird). As for a case, I would do a search for "flight cases" I just did one and got a lot of hits for what looked like sturdy containers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back