Headphone system recommendations desired! $1500 budget.
Mar 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

UNIFi

100+ Head-Fier
So I know very little about high end headphone set ups but have $1500 dollars to play with. My best headphones that I've had are the Sennheiser HD449's powered from a Ipod Classic. I'm mainly looking to buy a headphone for both portable and home use here though as well as an amp and dac. I have a pair of KEF X300A active speakers (which are near field) for usages at home most of the time and I'm looking to get a closed pair of headphones for when I cannot use the speakers. I connect the Speakers to my computer as it has a USB dac inbuilt. I prefer Dac/Amp units to be a combo unit.

I almost mainly listen to both Electronic music (DnB, Dubstep, Ambient, Psy-Trance, IDM, Glitch, Trip Hop, Trap, Chillout) and to artists like Pink Floyd, Sigur Ros, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Animals as Leaders, Liquid Tension Experiment, Porcupine Tree and others. I love Korean pop music and some select Western pop ~ almost exclusively female singers.  I also listen to game and movie scores that are classical.

My listening would be 50% electronic 20% Pop/Kpop, 20% Rock/Metal/etc - 10% soundtracks. I do not like most heavy metal bands at all other progressive or instrumental acts, I almost never listen to Jazz and I don't like too many old school rock bands.

I prefer my bass to be fairly strong but never boomy or anything and I would prefer more treble than the hd449 as it can lack a bit of bite at times and sounds a bit muffled for classical compared to the KEF. Coming from speakers I want the soundstage to be of a fair size.

I live in Newcastle Australia. There are no local stores that I'm aware of that stock high end equipment.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 3
There's the alpha dogs, but i haven't heard them and i'm afraid that they might be too balanced for electronic. There's the doggy treat mod, which decreases the treble, so it should increased perceived bass. It's one of the best closed headphones below $1k, so you should look into it.

If you're up for used headphones, get any of the discontinued higher end denons. D5000, D7000.

Otherwise, i suggest the fostex th600... or used th900.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the tip, I've been browsing the Alpha Dog thread, from pictures it seems like they would be a bit big/cumbersome for travelling. They are gorgeous, not sure about jumping onto them yet as I've read the bass is rather neutral or weak to some peoples tastes. Mind you I'm not after extreme bass bloat just some impact and weight as I'm coming over to headfi from speakers.

I'll definitely look into the Fostex series of headphones, I'm reading good things there. 

I got a message nudging me in the Ultrasone Signature line direction as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back