Headphone system for a newcomer
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matt L

New Head-Fier
I have moved to a place with very bad acoustic separation from the neighbours. I have a decent amount of money to invest in a headphone based system. I like female vocal music, mainly. I want to get something really good so I am thinking about auditioning the Focal Utopia and the Stax SR-009. From the reviews I've read, the sense of space the SR-009's give sounds more appealing.

I need advise on the rest of the system.

Firstly, what are the advantages if any of a dedicated music server or streamer over using the PC as a source and then a DAC?

If I go for the Focal - could I just plug my computer into something like a Chord Hugo and be up and running.

With the Stax I know I would need an Energiser, again the reviews suggest the vacuum tube would suit my kind of music. Presumably if I went for a computer as a source, I would plug into a DAC and connect this to the Energiser, but if I went for a fully-fledged streamer I could go just connect this to the energiser?

So to summerize, how would I get better sound for my money. What electronics should I be considering?

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Well you are starting out with some of the best their is. To be honest I have neither but have heard both on many different setups so take this with a grain of salt or so. These two headphones give a different presentation of the music. You are going to spend more on the Stax as the amps are much more expensive to equal there need as they are in my opinion a better headphone but that is just my opinion. I did hear the Utopias from a Chord Dave and Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype and it did give them a run for their money. It depends on what your looking for. The Blue Hawaii is just plain awesome I did hear a pair of 007’s from a Gilmore amp that was just superb also. As far as streamers go don’t know but if you want a dac that will complete either setup as long as your spending good money the Schiit Yggdrasil will make it right.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I prefer a warmer,more analogue sound,thus when I did an a/b of the 009 vs 007,I preferred the 007....Regardless of which of those two you choose(or the yet to be released Mr.Speakers e-stat) if money is no object your search for an amp should start...and end with The Blue Hawaii.

If your laptop isnt doing double duty as a computer while you listen and have an coax out then there really isnt too much of a reason to invest in a streamer/dedicated server.I am currently using a Sony HAP to play my files in my home set-up but im growing real fond of my R2R DAC warmth on my desktop set-up and will most likely move on from that and use a second laptop+ another R2R DAC for my home speaker system.

The Utopia is also a really nice sounding headphone,as is the Susvara,as is the Abyss,as is the LCD-4,as is HD800s,as is Pioneer SE Master 1...each have their strengths and weaknesses and depending upon your personal preferences and musical tastes one of those could possibly be a better choice than the others

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 9
As far as sources, there really isn't a need to worry about PC VS whatever else. Just use what's easiest for you, be it a laptop or DAP or server, etc. Looks like your aim is already nicely high, either setup would make plenty of people here jealous :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 9
If I go for the Focal - could I just plug my computer into something like a Chord Hugo and be up and running.

Yup, you could indeed. A suggestion: Get a Schiit Audio Wyrd to put between the Hugo 2 (I presume you'd get the latest version) and your computer. It will ensure good results with the USB connection in various ways, from reliability to reducing noise over the USB line.

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Hello,

I am not anywhere near to the summit-fi headphones that you are talking about. But for me, if you intend to spend that much, then I would suggest find somewhere that you can demo and do just that. if its possible with music you know. That's a lot of money to plunk down there and spending 100 or even 200 to get to demo is like a drop in the bucket. Who Knows, you might prefer the HD800 or TH900 or something else more than either the Stax or the Focal. It all down to your ears and your preferences.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 9
I have moved to a place with very bad acoustic separation from the neighbours. I have a decent amount of money to invest in a headphone based system. I like female vocal music, mainly. I want to get something really good so I am thinking about auditioning the Focal Utopia and the Stax SR-009. From the reviews I've read, the sense of space the SR-009's give sounds more appealing.

I need advise on the rest of the system.

Firstly, what are the advantages if any of a dedicated music server or streamer over using the PC as a source and then a DAC?

With the Stax I know I would need an Energiser, again the reviews suggest the vacuum tube would suit my kind of music. Presumably if I went for a computer as a source, I would plug into a DAC and connect this to the Energiser, but if I went for a fully-fledged streamer I could go just connect this to the energiser?

So to summerize, how would I get better sound for my money. What electronics should I be considering?

We are in the same boat. I'm starting from scratch with the HiFi Man HE-1000 headphones and the MicroZotl MZ2 tube-based amplifier.
I'm not saying you should have a tube amp, but I'll say you owe it to yourself to hear the MicroZotl or the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 (in the range of $2000 including good linear power supplies) or one of the Woo Audio offerings. Or any other tube amplifier you can find at a local shop

I've been thinking about this for several months. This is where I'm headed; this is what I think. And what I think I know. My budget pricing is included when I haven't decided upon an option but feel I have a good feel for what is a reasonable amount for what I'm trying to accomplish. I think in most cases you could get by for less, but I would suggest doing nothing (like, using stock headphone cables or power cords) would be a mistake - if you are headed towards the ultimate in headphone quality. I could be wrong about several things (well, hopefully not several) - but I hope a description of my looong journey is at least somewhat helpful.

What I'm trying to accomplish: I want better than average sound quality, and to do that I'm looking to do the "minimum" to address each part of the music chain (including power, both cords and conditioning).

Starting backwards, just because it includes the two components I'm set on:
HiFi Man HE-1000 planer magnetic headphones
Some sort of silver wired headphone cable ($500)
MicroZotl MZ2 ("only" $1200, but add $600 min. for Linear Power Supply)
Mains power cord for Linear Power Supply ($200 will cover a billion options; Voodo Mojo Digital is one)
12volt power cord between Linear Power Supply and MZ2 amplifier ($100)
RCA interconnect to go from DAC to headphone amp, TBA ($500)
A sad note about interconnects: An acquaintance came over to my house with his Schiit BiFrost DAC to see if it would improve the sound in my television room (nice TV: would a small DAC receiving a signal from the RCA coaxial digital output of my Blu-Ray player be a worthwhile small expenditure; placed between my Blu-Ray player and my sound base speaker system?). The worthless dog brought with him a couple of nice interconnects too - we used the $200 variety (both his and mine) for our comparisons. Just before he had to leave he allowed me to listen to see if I could hear a difference when we replaced the $200 RCA interconnects with his $900/half-meter Kimber interconnect. The additional level of blackness - nothingness - between the two was astounding. I'd describe the difference as being like out at night under the stars ($5 interconnect), the blackness of being out in the country at night with no moon and no clouds (good interconnects), and the utter blackness of turning out your torch (flashlight) while 100' deep in a cave - THAT is what black is and that is how much difference his uber-expensive interconnects made. I'm not spending $900, but I'm going to spend on the only RCA interconnect I need what to most is still an absurd amount.

"All we need now" is a DAC; and then one's computer, OR streamer/network audio player.

-------------------------------------

Which brings us to the sticky wicket: I am eschewing any musical signal contact between my desktop or PC, and my DAC. In fact (for streaming, or playing CDs, by using my CD player's coax digital output) neither will be anywhere in the chain. Like some others, I believe (and this is why streamers are made, perhaps only for the gullible who have too much money), a desktop or laptop made as cheaply as possible to do many different things with no regard for audio quality can only pollute the musical signal as it is sent, via USB cable, to one's DAC. This is one reason why USB conditioners like the microRendu exist, installed between one's existing personal computer and their DAC in order to clean up the digital signal before it gets converted to analog (Sanore microRendu is $640, plus $400 or more for Linear Power Supply, plus $200 for a power cord and $200 for the additional USB cable). Instead of this $1400 expenditure, (to get the perceived better audio quality) I thought I'd put this money towards a $2000 streamer.
So, if you can't (aren't going to) use a regular computer, then you need a streamer/renderer/network audio player, which is a purpose built device that hooks via Ethernet cable to your internet modem and allows you to send a digital signal from the Internet to your DAC. In order to do this you will need to subscribe to a streaming service like TIDAL, ROON, etc. (so, the "server" unit will have some processing capability)

Many streamers have a DAC built in; but if I choose to purchase a DAC separate from my streamer, for the streamer I'd purchase Wolf Audio's CUB ($2000 plus a little, with options). It is a kind of computer, purpose-built by a middle-aged computer nerd (raised from birth in a high-end audio family) to take the digital signal from the internet (via one's modem) and send it on to their DAC in as pristine a condition as is humanly possible. As a bonus, it's browser will let you operate it like your computer (in some ways) and you can actually run an HDMI cable to your television and watch YouTube videos (or any other streamed video content) on your tele. Run a digital out from your tele to your audio system and viola: big picture, great sound.

Because a friend of mine has one, used, for sale at a good price, I'm going with a Streamer with a DAC built in: the Cary DMS-500, because it is excellent, and available, and it is MQA compatible.
Before that streamer/DAC became available I concluded (YMMV) the following streamers were mighty good:
STREAMERS:
First choice, Wolf Audio - Cub ($2000-$2500)
PS Audio makes a "bridge" called the Bridge II, for $900, which converts their superior DirectStream DAC to a server/DAC
Signature Rendu (out of production, has coaxial and I2S digital outputs)
Signature Rendu SE - new USB only model of Sonore's streamer.
SOtM sMS-200 - inexpensive but highly regarded, for $400 (plus $400 for linear power supply and $200 for power cord) (Edit: I'm not convinced this is all you need, or if I listed the exact right product)

Combination STREAMER/DAC options
Aforementioned Cary DMS-500 and PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II option
Lumin D-1 ($2000 but their bottom product and it still needs a power supply at this price)
Lumin T-1 ($5000) nearly exactly the same as the highly regarded A-1 with a vastly less expensive case
Lumin A-1 ($7200)

OK, I have to go so I'll skip DAC recommendations - with MQA the choices are limited nearly to Mytek Brooklyn; without MQA the choices are myriad.

--------------------------------

Finishing my setup:
Cary DMS-500 Streamer/DAC ($5000)
Power Cord for Cary unit ($200)
Ethernet Cable from modem ($300 or more)

Power conditioning and dedicated line from mains box (mains box is nearby, so only 30' of wire needed, for my particular home situation).
Isotek IVO3 Sirius Power conditioner ($700 I own this one - there are several superior options in this price range
two options: Shunyata Venom PS-8 ($700 plus cord) and Audioquest Niagra ($1000)
Power Cord for Power Conditioner ($300 or more, for $300 one of 1000 options is the Shunyata Venom HC)

Duplex Receptacle: Synergistic Research Tesla Plex SE ($95) or Cardis 4181US Duplex ($150)
Wire from Mains Box: DH Silver Sonic - Power Plus Studio Reference 12AWG $80/meter
Furatech FP-314ag silver coated 15AWG (good up to 15 amps, and with this setup I'll have to work to push 3 Amps) $130/meter

That's all! Depressed?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 9
You can do a lot worse than the Microzotl 2 it is one of my favorites as it can run just about any headphone out there one of those OTL’s that break all the rules. I was so close to buying it before I went for the Amps and Sounds Kenzie.

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Aside from the current discussion, if you eventually decide to get a "normal" headphone, i.e. not electrostatic headphones, I'd highly recommend the Wells Audio HeadTrip Reference. I've heard it in a show and it absolutely astounded me with how musical and precise sound gets at the same time. It is literally the best amp and probably the only amp you'll ever need. Highly recommend it (if cost is not something you care too much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back