Headphone Suggestions
Jul 6, 2011 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Yyong

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am a new user here at Head-Fi and I'm currently in the process of searching for a pair of cans that will satisfy my inner audiophile. However, I have arrived at a crossroads and have become very indecisive in regards to which type of headphones I truly desire. My criteria for my headphones isn't too demanding, but at the same time, I'd like to get the best performance/quality for my money. 

I am also relatively new to the high-end headphone scene, so bear with me if my terminology or knowledge on headphones/accessories isn't spot on. Suggestions and discussion are encouraged, I seriously need as many opinions as I can get from experienced users.

As far as a budget goes, I'd like to keep it under $1000 and would very much like to purchase the headphones first while saving up for the amp and other required accessories to be purchased in the future. I am aware that for the most part, everybody in this community agrees that this is a huge mistake, considering I won't be able to properly drive my headphones to it's fullest potential, but all I can really say is that this is just a personal preference. Anything will be better than my current setup, which is currently a Sennheiser PC-151, a headset combo advertised for gaming. I purchased them because I enjoyed the idea of having an average headphone while being able to use it as a microphone as well, I'm pretty much over that phase in my life and found myself as a newly converted audiophile after joining some private bit torrent trackers. I'm more lenient towards getting the best audio quality out of my headphones and just losing myself in the audio from here on out.

By all means, please feel free to suggest a compatible amplifier and other accessories that would perfectly compliment the headphones you suggest me. This is a particular department I need assistance in considering, as I stated before, I am new to the high-end headphone scene and don't really know what works well with what.

I'd like to be able to use these around family, guests, roommates at home/school and would prefer to have as minimal sound leakage as possible, I find myself awake at odd hours of the night when I'm not in class or not at work, so I would very much like to have a pair of cans that can fill this need, this is perhaps my important concern considering I like the idea of open-end headphones and the fact that the resonance of the sound is more natural, but the fact that everybody can hear what you're listening to even at low volumes is a definite turn-off for me, considering I do like my privacy, who knows, maybe there are some things that I wouldn't want others to hear :wink: (this basically means I'll most likely be going for closed headphones, but I'm open to suggestions)

I am looking for headphones that produce superb and unmatched sound quality, in essence, as close as it can be to the best of the best without actually having a ridiculous price tag. Second rate is cool with me.

I plan to use these headphones for nearly everything, movies, PC gaming, music, and with portable audio devices such as my iPod or Android smartphone.

My musical tastes are heavily expanded and range from a variety of genres, there isn't one particular genre that I favor, but I will admit I do love the heavy kick of bass from a hip-hop or electronic track.

Thanks in advance,
Yyong

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 17
Why not look towards the new Beyer t70s coming out? They fit perfectly in your price range and we're all expecting big things out of them! The T70's are closed back so you don't have to worry about sound leakage, and if they are anything like the other tesla's they will sound very clear and crisp. Another thing about beyers is that they are hands down the most plush & comfortable headphones around.

I don't think they are publicly available yet but they should be soon. They will likely be the replacement of the well regarded beyerdynamic dt line and will start out around $600 - $700.

http://headfonics.com/2011/05/beyerdynamic-t70-t70p-to-get-public-airing-this-month/

I just thought of something else about these, since you won't be getting an amp right away you could shoot for the 32 ohm t70s instead of the 250 ohm.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 17
The Beyer T70s definitely look very interesting and nice, in a classy way hah. Thanks for the heads up colmustard, I will keep a tab on them as I browse for some more options that are actually available now.

I've been hearing some great things about the Denon AH-D series, especially the high-end ones (2000, 5000, 7000). Could anybody possibly vouch for these and recommend them as a purchase? Aside from the Ultrasone Edition 8/Beyers T70, the Denon AH-D series are the only headphones that I found to have been one of the best top tier closed headphones a person could ask for. I also heard that they've got nice bass, which is definitely a plus in my book. I know they are "closed" headphones, but do they have a lot of sound leakage?

More recommendations and opinions would be nice, keep them coming!

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 17
You should consider IEMs. Those are the little headphones that go in your ear canal. They will block much more sound than any full-size headphone, plus they will play from any portable device because of their high sensitivity. You don't need an amplifier. And you can take them anywhere. I would say IEMs suit your needs more than a full-size headphone. There is another forum here for IEMs where you can get some recommendations. 

If you really want a fullsize headphone, I would tell you to start with a lesser-quality headphone than something like the Edition 8 or T70. Most of us change headphones very often when we start in this hobby. You need to get experience with different brands to find which sound you like. Then when you know what you want, you won't be taking as much risk on a bigger purchase. You can buy and sell used headphones in the for sale forum here and only lose the cost of postage.  There are many good-sounding closed headphones around $100. For example:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD-25 II
Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 ohm
Shure SRH-840
Denon D1001/1100

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Let's not bump a thread because it hasn't been replied to in less than 24 hours yeah?

Seeing as your budget is anything under $1000, your options are wide and varied.

May I suggest this page: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphones

Where you'll find that the products and reviews are finely organised.

On a side note, I recently tried the Denon AH-D7000's and want to recommend them to you. Being a rather flat-sounding headphone - I think it will climatise nicely with all the environments you'll be putting your headphones through.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 17
To be honest, I don't think I'd be very interested in IEMs, mainly due to the fact that I've always been a headphones guy. IEMs for some reason have always irritated my ears and I just can't stand it after long hours of usage. I just love slapping two giant cups on and having my ears fully enclosed.. Something about it just draws me to them and these higher-end headphones I've recently been looking at look so nice and comfortable to wear for long hours, especially with some of the materials they use for the earcups.

I definitely agree that when starting out in this hobby you should start out small and develop your own personal tastes, but I'm pretty much at that point in my life where I'd like to just purchase an amazing set of headphones from the start and use them for as long as possible. Call it impulsive, call it reckless, but honestly, I'd just like a pair of high level audiophile headphones and almost anything will do at this point. Like I stated before in previous posts, anything and I mean anything will be better than my current setup, I'd just like to find myself a pair that are of top tier quality and is something I can rely on in terms of longevity. The way I see it is, the money I spend now will be well spent considering I do plan on using this one particular pair for years to come. I'm secretly an audiophile but I really don't have the budget as an employed college student to go over the top, so I figured, I'd just purchase some amazing cans now (being the fact that I actually have the opportunity/budget as of now) and then get the DAC/Amp and other accessories later on. After that, chances are it will be a very long time until I make another investment in anything related to high-end audio.

I've seriously been considering the Denon AH-D5000/7000s these past few days, can anyone recommend them as a closed headphone? Will it fit the criteria I listed up top? Also, what would be nice accessories such as an amp to drive it with?

Thanks for the contribution tvrboy.

Just saw your post LegendaryLvl1, I'll definitely keep the bumping in mind hehe. Just kind of desperate for some opinions considering this is my first high-end audio purchase, I just don't want to end up making a bad decision, which is why I need you guys!

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 17
Are you in Asia? I ask because it's the middle of the night in America now, and cause of your username 
rolleyes.gif

The Denon series are "fun" sounding headphones with emphasized bass. They are not anywhere close to neutral. If you listen to a lot of pop and rock, you may like them. But if you have played instruments in your life, are familiar with the sound of acoustic instruments, or listen to acoustic music, then you will find they are not realistic. To be honest i don't have experience with high-end closed headphones. But I can give you a list of suggestions, and you can search for some information on this forum.
-Sony MDR-Z1000
-Ultrasone Edition 8, PRO900
-Beyerdynamic T70p, DT770 600 ohm
-Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X, W5000
-Kenwood KH-1000
-JVC DX-1000

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 17
I have just another suggestion which I gathered from " Call it impulsive, call it reckless, but honestly, I'd just like a pair of high level audiophile headphones and almost anything will do at this point.".

You might want to take a chance at Audeze's LCD-2's - If only to assure yourself that you managed to purchase a pair of headphones that are claimed to be the best on the head-fi forums (which lets face it, is the best audiophile forum^^).

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I have just another suggestion which I gathered from " Call it impulsive, call it reckless, but honestly, I'd just like a pair of high level audiophile headphones and almost anything will do at this point.".

You might want to take a chance at Audeze's LCD-2's - If only to assure yourself that you managed to purchase a pair of headphones that are claimed to be the best on the head-fi forums (which lets face it, is the best audiophile forum^^).

The LCD-2 is not claimed to be the best here. Did you ever hear people talking about the HE90, SR-007, SR-009, R-10, Qualia, etc? It's not even the best headphone I've owned, and I'm dirt poor.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Are you in Asia? I ask because it's the middle of the night in America now, and cause of your username 
rolleyes.gif

The Denon series are "fun" sounding headphones with emphasized bass. They are not anywhere close to neutral. If you listen to a lot of pop and rock, you may like them. But if you have played instruments in your life, are familiar with the sound of acoustic instruments, or listen to acoustic music, then you will find they are not realistic. To be honest i don't have experience with high-end closed headphones. But I can give you a list of suggestions, and you can search for some information on this forum.
-Sony MDR-Z1000
-Ultrasone Edition 8, PRO900
-Beyerdynamic T70p, DT770 600 ohm
-Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X, W5000
-Kenwood KH-1000
-JVC DX-1000

eek.gif
 I feel judged man! No, I'm actually living in the United States and I am a Malaysian born Chinese. It's currently 6:10AM here, and I'm probably gonna call it a night very soon. I've recently just been living off of a messed up sleeping schedule. As I said in my first post, if I'm not in class or not working, I am up at odd hours of the night and I when I say odd, I mean nightowl status odd.. Guess what, it's summer vacation! 

I'll check those headphones out for sure, again thanks for your help.

@LegendaryLvl1

Although they fit under my budget, I was kind of hoping for something that I wouldn't blow my entire absolute budget on. I'll definitely keep a tab on these, but chances are, I'll most likely be going for one of the Denon AH-D series. They seem to fit most of my criteria and best of all, they are a closed headphone! Unless someone can suggest something better.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 17

I would highly recommend either of the Denon series, superb headphones, very resolving, detailed with rich organic bass, and loadsa fun across all genres, if you have your heart set on Denons (great choice) this is my current Denon set up .Denon AH-D5000 , Meire Corda Stepdance ,80gb iMod.
The ALO CLAS, plus 7th Gen Classic is another great option and the 2Stepdance has just been released, any of the above combinations will make you extremely happy, I have other headphones and amps but the synergy with any of the above is stupendous.

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think I'd be very interested in IEMs, mainly due to the fact that I've always been a headphones guy. IEMs for some reason have always irritated my ears and I just can't stand it after long hours of usage. I just love slapping two giant cups on and having my ears fully enclosed.. Something about it just draws me to them and these higher-end headphones I've recently been looking at look so nice and comfortable to wear for long hours, especially with some of the materials they use for the earcups.

I definitely agree that when starting out in this hobby you should start out small and develop your own personal tastes, but I'm pretty much at that point in my life where I'd like to just purchase an amazing set of headphones from the start and use them for as long as possible. Call it impulsive, call it reckless, but honestly, I'd just like a pair of high level audiophile headphones and almost anything will do at this point. Like I stated before in previous posts, anything and I mean anything will be better than my current setup, I'd just like to find myself a pair that are of top tier quality and is something I can rely on in terms of longevity. The way I see it is, the money I spend now will be well spent considering I do plan on using this one particular pair for years to come. I'm secretly an audiophile but I really don't have the budget as an employed college student to go over the top, so I figured, I'd just purchase some amazing cans now (being the fact that I actually have the opportunity/budget as of now) and then get the DAC/Amp and other accessories later on. After that, chances are it will be a very long time until I make another investment in anything related to high-end audio.

I've seriously been considering the Denon AH-D5000/7000s these past few days, can anyone recommend them as a closed headphone? Will it fit the criteria I listed up top? Also, what would be nice accessories such as an amp to drive it with?

Thanks for the contribution tvrboy.

Just saw your post LegendaryLvl1, I'll definitely keep the bumping in mind hehe. Just kind of desperate for some opinions considering this is my first high-end audio purchase, I just don't want to end up making a bad decision, which is why I need you guys!

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
The LCD-2 is not claimed to be the best here. Did you ever hear people talking about the HE90, SR-007, SR-009, R-10, Qualia, etc? It's not even the best headphone I've owned, and I'm dirt poor.

When the 2nd main tab of the head-fi.org home page states that the LCD-2's are coming in at #1. I think I can say that the LCD-2 is indeed claimed to be 'the best'. 

I've heard of people talking about the HE90's the SR-007's and all the other various brands and models. But unless you can get me a definitive consensus on which headphones are the best, then I will for the foreseeable future, be using that page as a tool in aiding any requests for a particular type of headphone.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
When the 2nd main tab of the head-fi.org home page states that the LCD-2's are coming in at #1. I think I can say that the LCD-2 is indeed claimed to be 'the best'. 

I've heard of people talking about the HE90's the SR-007's and all the other various brands and models. But unless you can get me a definitive consensus on which headphones are the best, then I will for the foreseeable future, be using that page as a tool in aiding any requests for a particular type of headphone.

Most popular =/= best. That's like saying a Toyota Corolla is the best car in the world, which I guess for some people might be true.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 17
Lcd2 "the best"? WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!?

You meant to say "the best for bass"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back