Headphone Suggestions (Senn HD 228 vs 448; HD 595 vs???)
Oct 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vlwpdl2009

New Head-Fier
First off... Hi! I'm new here (relatively), and I suggest a large "Sorry about your wallet!" banner be put up on Head-Fi's home page for poor unknowing lurkers.

I'm in college. I play guitar. I sing. I work part-time. I'm not rich. I'm looking for headphones for use at school (in the library, use with my Zune 120GB) and also a set for home use (with my digital piano) and just music (playing, recording, and editing) and some computer gaming in general.

I listen... to a LOT of piano. I've recently been infatuated with it, but I do listen to a broad range of music, minus rap, hip-hop, heavy metal, and outright noise (not that I'm tying noise to those genres). I am... not a basshead.

I've had the chance to hear the Grado-SR60i's and the Sennheiser HD 555's and HD 280 pros (280's I've had for two years). The Grado's were surprising and amazing, but not very comfortable for long use for me and the sound got fatiguing after awhile. The HD 280s were somewhat lacking, and wayyyyyyyyyyyy too tight. They both gave me headaches for different reasons.

The HD 555's I returned because Liquiana/Z Electria on Amazon.com is a non-authorized Sennheiser dealer. Check list here:
Sennheiser Non-authorized Retailers
That said, I loved the 555's almost right out of the box
L3000.gif
, and decided to save up for the 595's instead of buying the 555's. I don't know though, how these will compare to other open cans in the price range. I love the comfort though.

For the library, I'd love to have great sounding cans, but my price range is really $80-$100 ish. Sealed phones are a must, and I can't look stupid in them (Yes, I take this into consideration. It's for use in public). I looked at the Sennheiser HD 228's and decided to give them a try, the 448's seem appealing too (though they might look stoopid on me, who knows), and I haven't seen any comparisons, so if anyone could give me some input, that would be great.

I've sent my SR60i's for exchange with the HD 228's at HeadRoom, and will try them out unless someone says that I absolutely shouldn't. HD 595's... I've got some time to decide on them if you wanna help me out.
regular_smile .gif

BTW - I do not have the money to spend on an amplifier. That option is completely out of the question because I just bought $700 worth of other gear in building my mini studio, and, well, my wallet was already hurt before knowing Head-Fi. Now it's bleeding all over the ground and smiling at the same time..
confused_face(1).gif

(I have not had anything but my new Zune earphones to listen with for a week now. They are already crackling and dying on me. Help quick!
frown.gif
)

(I like parentheses)

-PJ

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 13
I did. I just didn't like the overall feel of the headphones (Soft or Bowl pads). I guess it really depends on the person's head too. That said, they were too excited for me. Which is great for most music, but not necessarily what I was looking for, and for open cans at home use, I'm willing to spend a little more. Especially in the way of comfort.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Used HD 25

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmmm. Cooal. Thanks for the suggestions.

For portable use, I'm pretty much set on the HD 228s. I hope they'll be good when they arrive. About the HD 25, doesn't look too comfy to me. I've got an earring and i hate it just being pushed up against my head sometimes. Some headphones will do that.

But what I'm really looking for is something to use at home, and maybe sometimes with my Zune. I've looked at the HD 595, so my price range is $250 ish or lower. $200 range would be ideal. Open cans, supra-aural would be what I'm looking for. For use with my digital piano mostly, and, well, just music in general. Any suggestions? Can't use an amp though, no money for that.

@jjsoviet I did have the HD 555. Had to return it as it was sold on Amazon by an unauthorized dealer (Z Electria/Liquiana Inc.) Great headphones though, the big con being the jack. 1/4 with a 1/8 adaptor. Kind of backwards. But since I heard those, I decided to go the step up and get the HD 595, and probably will unless anyone has any other suggestions that I should consider.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, you can mod an HD 555 to sound like the HD 595. The soundstage mod is conceptualized since both phone have the same drivers, the difference with the HD 555 having a "Spatial Reflector" foam that actually reduces the clarity. You can easily remove it as well as the inner grill of the phone.

Search for the topic, it has the procedure and pics to boot.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 13
I... am, clumsy. LOL. So I try not to do stuff like that. Thanks for the suggestion though. I wouldn't mind the pleather on the 595 too. =) And who knows if it sounds just the same or not? XD

By the way, how would you compare your HD 238's to say, the Grado SR60i's? And does that 1/8" jack on the HD 555 ever annoy you?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 13
With the HD 228, check the threads for the advice that you must angle the HD 228 towards the rear of your head for proper sound. And you also can easily remove the center foam covering the driver (under the pads) if you want a brighter sound. They are great headphones, but experimenting with placement on your ears is crucial. Congrats.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 13
OOh. Thanks for the advice. Will definitely try that. But my head is a bit pointier near the top of my skull. =( Hahah. Not alien-like, but enough to make what you just suggested annoying I bet. And I just shaved my head too. Haha.

Will go and try that when I receive them, should be this friday. If you've got them, you mind posting a pic of you wearing them (front view especially)? It would be a great help as I'd be using these in public. Of course I don't intend to invade on your personal privacy or anything. Only if you don't mind. And I'm guessing the bass on these are pretty decent?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlwpdl2009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will go and try that when I receive them, should be this friday. If you've got them, you mind posting a pic of you wearing them (front view especially)? It would be a great help as I'd be using these in public. Of course I don't intend to invade on your personal privacy or anything. Only if you don't mind. And I'm guessing the bass on these are pretty decent?

Would be happy to, but (a) my camera is broken, (b) the positioning I am talking about is so subtle that it can't be perceived in a picture, and (c) I wouldn't want to horrify anyone with my mug.

All I'm talking about is pushing the pads ever so slightly farther back on your ear than would seem logical, and then pulling the cups slightly away from the back of your head with your thumbs. The drivers, if you are looking at them, move back and forth a little off the vertical axis if you know what I mean. Just experiment a little and you'll see. As for bass, it is a common reaction to think the headphones are unacceptably muddy when you first get them, which is greatly reduced by the placement and totally eliminated by taking off the pads, removing the removable center foam, and putting the pads back on. If you search for "astroid" and HD 228, you'll see what I mean. I never mod headphones (I am a purist that way), but this is not a mod, and for me was absolutely essential. Never thought about going back, although I could do so in about 15 seconds if I wanted to. Completely reversible.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Cool cool. I will be posting pics when I get mine just to show off xD, plus there's not a lot of them up IMO. I'll post some of me wearing them too because I like to scare people online (and give them nightmares xD).

About the foam, I'll see when I get them. I guess it's always reversible, but I'll think about it after about a week and see.

AHH I'm excited to get rid of these damn Zune earbuds.

Will post impressions though in another thread when I get em, and have the pics up. I think these headphones are eyecandy. Though they don't make me feel all fuzzy inside like the HD 555s/595s, they look great.

Opinions?

Thanks btw, priest, for all your input.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 13
No problem. You'll love them, especially compared to stock buds. Looking forward to your impressions and contributions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back