Headphone suggestions please and thanks!
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

philbegas

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.
I owned a couple pairs of Superlux HD 681 EVOs. They're nice sounding, but the jack is just so damn cheap. I can spend up to around $100-$125 on a new pair of over ear cans.
My preferences:
-I love that split headband style like Superlux, Samson, or AKG.
-Semi-open (will be using in libraries and cafes so I don't want fully open).
-32 ohms? I believe that 55 ohms is normally too high to power with phones, iPods, etc.
-I COULD just get the HD 681 EVO again but I wanted to see if I could get something higher quality.
-Velour earpads will fit/are available. I don't like when leather gets sticky/sweaty.
-If you want to recommend a set that doesn't have that split headband style, it should be light at least. I've worn some heavier headphones that start to make me nauseous for some reason.
-Short cable or removable cable. I don't want to be stuck with a 3 meter cable lol.

Headphones I was looking at:
AKG M220
AKG K240 MK1 or 2
Samson SR 850

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 7
There's not too many semi-open headphones in that price range, so you might want to consider using closed headphones. The AKG K553 can often be found for around $120 and has a very very good soundstage despite being closed, and is easy to drive.

Impedance isn't the whole story, there's also headphone sensitivity.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Welcome. You should post here for best results.

But given the budget, the Sennheiser 598 might be a good start. They're not a perfect fit to everything, but they're quite acceptable as a next hop and you can get them even a bit below that budget if you wait for promotions and drops (Keepa.com is your friend).

There are many other alternatives, for instance today someone mentioned the FIdelo X2 being at around $140 at Amazon Prime, so that could be an interesting choice too.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 7
32 ohms? I believe that 55 ohms is normally too high to power with phones, iPods, etc.

55ohms isn't that much higher than 32ohms. If the sensitivity is 95dB or higher even 150ohms won't be a problem on the better smartphones (then again, the ones that pile on distortion by this point tend to suck for other reasons too, like high crosstalk).

Look into the Brainwavz HM5, or if you can raise your budget, there's the Beyer DT770. I'm partial to the latter since the metal frame might be heavier than the HM5's plastic, but you can bend it to adjust the clamp. Make the clamp light enough and you can reduce what some find to be overwhelming bass on the DT770 (ie, chances are what they did to relax the clamp was tohave them clamp on something to simulate head time, which also just smooshed the earpads more than it relaxed the metal bits) as well as give it a lighter feel on the head.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey so I only see the DT770 in 80 and 250 ohms, were you suggesting looking for the 32 ohm version?

Also, I didn't see the X2s OR 598 within my budget.

I'm feeling like at the end of the day my decision is going to be between the SR850 and the HD 681 EVO.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Wel if you were interested in the 16ohm beyerdynamics DT770 "I" model then newegg has them for $99 right now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TH-00JD-000R6

Be aware that the DT770 series does not have a detachable cable. Another good alternative for open gaming headphones are the Philips SHP9500 cans.Those have been around $50-$60 for awhile now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Some people like the stock setup on them, and some prefer to stick on aftermarket pads to bring up the bass. Leather pads bring them up more, but the Hybrid pads by Brainwavz might be better for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY

You'll get a far superior product compared to those Superlux's with the philip or beyerdynamics set.

As far a fully open, I use fully open at work and no one hears what I'm playing at all. Taken them into libraries too and unless I put them to obnoxious volumes that kill my ears no one hears anything. This was with really open 400i's which to me let all sounds in completely.

Now if you are REALLY still stuck on semi-open design, I can say the ISK 2010's are nice. Unfortunately, you can only order them from aliexpress and have to wait for them to ship to the US. Although for $40 they are inexpensive. They come with the velor style pads and are semi open. Good sound and comfort. However, they don't have detachable cable system. There are youtube video's showing how to change that, but takes some work with soldering and a drill usually. Which not everyone is up to doing. You can order these off amazon, but they are from a Chinese seller for $10 more.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...lgo_pvid=f29d1625-c86a-4a91-8c54-46febbfce88b

Last, but not least, would be the Bosshifi B7's as semi open. Decent sound, good reviews here, wood cups, comfortable, detachable cable, and good price. Can get them from Aliexpress again, or a bit more from Amazon. Either way if you order these they are shipped from China.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pro...lgo_pvid=77dfdbaf-7a96-4f1e-b039-de2133caa95c

Damn I hate those aliexpress links being as long as they are. Can't shorten them either or nothing is found.

Personally I would go with the Philips route if you aren't super dead set on semi-open and think you can handle open. Otherwise either the ISK or Bosshifi unless you really can't deal with waiting on a shipment from China. In that case the Beyers are the only thing I know left open to you. The Beyer are "closed" but more like semi-closed. A lot less open than the Superlux's though.

Oh one last entry I forgot to mention. Sennheiser HD 558s. Been on sale at Bestbuy for awhile now at $99. Again these are "open" style like the philips.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back