headphone stands and clamping force?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by FireDragon76, Nov 10, 2017.
  1. FireDragon76
    I watch Z Reviews and one thing I noticed is that one of his headphones seems to have widened somewhat from sitting on foam yoga blocks for so long. I do not have enough experience with full size headphones to judge so I was wondering if this also reduces the clamping force on the head- my guess is it would, since the headband is acting like a spring. But I'm not sure how that would impact the sound- I suppose if the clamping force is adequate, up to a certain point it doesn't matter?

I'm just asking because my wife keeps her headphones on a yoga block but I've thought about buying her a wooden headphone stand. The headphones have a firm clamp to them but they have nice thick pads (they are Status CB-1's) and really strong bass as a result. I keep my Tascam lying on top of my computer or on a wooden "monkey bars" type stand.

2. 71 dB
    I had to Google what a yoga block is. One learns new things every day! :L3000:

Bass response may suffer from weakening clamping force especially with closed back headphones (pressure leaking). Otherwise there shouldn't be much effect as far as I know.

3. bigshot
    Clamping force is more of a comfort issue

4. castleofargh Contributor
    my desk speakers are on yoga blocks. it's a highly audiophile product ^_^.