headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #436 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPoet
interesting how many grado sightings there are in the general public...
maybe it's the whole retro thing?

I think I've only seen them once before on the street and I'm in NYC. Actually that was the subway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
"Excuse me, but I just noticed your cans. Can I take a closer look?"
wink.gif

The crazy thing was they were hanging around her neck and were riding low. She was wearing this low cut vneck also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
how can you pass that up?

whats that dude got on you? nothing he aint got no headfi experience...you the man!

She was just okay looking.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #437 of 855
Whenever I have stopped a woman and asked about her phones, she was always blown away. There aren't many of us, guys, so use what you have. We kinda have the market cornered. 3 female Grado sightings, 2 dates. Not that bad.

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #438 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by etys rule
Whenever I have stopped a woman and asked about her phones, she was always blown away. There aren't many of us, guys, so use what you have. We kinda have the market cornered. 3 female Grado sightings, 2 dates. Not that bad.

Plus use of the Grado Jacuzzi afterwards. Team Senn has nothing like that track record
lambda.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #439 of 855
Today I saw an iHP-100 in uptown Bronx. It was weird, you don't see that type of gear in these parts.

Jul 16, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #441 of 855
Considering the university I attend (UT Austin, the largest in the US), and the major I'm in/was in (formerly Electrical/Computer Engineering, now Computer Science, both of which has a lot of people and a lot of geeks), I really would've expected to see more good headphones around campus. But the only good (IMO) ones I've seen have been a pair of D66SL Eggos (I was wearing mine too, so we had a nice chat), a couple of Grados (one was definitely a SR-60, another a SR-80 connected to a CMoy...though that was my friend
tongue.gif
, and not sure which model on the others), and one guy with a HD580. A few PortaPros here and there, and one guy had one of the high-end KOSS models (don't remember which).

Also, I have seen a few EX-51/EX-70/EX-71s, though three of the EX-51s belong to my friends who needed earbuds and I refused to let leave the store (Fry's) with anything less (they're $40 there, which makes them somewhat of a ripoff, but they're the only earbuds worth buying that I can find in B&M stores) and one of the EX-71s is myself.
tongue.gif

Everybody else just uses the phones that come with their CDP/MP3 Player/iPod, or crappy StreetStyle and similar products.

~KS

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #442 of 855
well fellow headfiers, tis been awhile for yours truly, king of such and such of nappings and such,

and, if your memory serves you well, then i apologize for the inconvience of reiterating this statement:
it is true, my girlfriend had a pair of grado sr-60's. yet it is true that I did reccomend them for her.
well friends, spring came, summer as well, and the ties that bind did indeed break, and seperated from past lady love, new horizons did present themselves.
moving like Hermes, I came upon another lady love, truer than the one before, and, when led back to her apartment, I was in store for two wonderful delights.
The first was that she owned a pair of sr 80's, amped to a chu moy

and the second prize is for mine eyes and ears alone
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #443 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
well fellow headfiers, tis been awhile for yours truly, king of such and such of nappings and such,

and, if your memory serves you well, then i apologize for the inconvience of reiterating this statement:
it is true, my girlfriend had a pair of grado sr-60's. yet it is true that I did reccomend them for her.
well friends, spring came, summer as well, and the ties that bind did indeed break, and seperated from past lady love, new horizons did present themselves.
moving like Hermes, I came upon another lady love, truer than the one before, and, when led back to her apartment, I was in store for two wonderful delights.
The first was that she owned a pair of sr 80's, amped to a chu moy

and the second prize is for mine eyes and ears alone
very_evil_smiley.gif

so thats how I got the sr-80's huh.......lol

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #444 of 855
The mainstream is using stock earbuds or 20$ Sonys here(at deafening levels, BTW).
I've seen some Koss Sporta Pros , Porta Pros and Koss the Plug, a B&O A8, a Stax SR- 001 system and last week a guy sitting in our central park using a RA1/RS1 combo.
99% of the listeners are using crap by our terms.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #445 of 855
I just got back from NYC last night and after riding in the subway for a week, all I saw was a girl with a px-100 or 200.

I did see hundreds of stock iBuds and Streetstyles and I think a piece of me died.
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #446 of 855
Currently travelling in Norway after spending a week in Paris.

PortaPros are pretty popular here - spotted two pairs just a few minutes apart in Oslo, and a pair in Trondheim; both pretty big university towns.

On the train from Tronheim to Oslo, saw a very young (8 years?) boy with *big* circumaural phones on (Phillips, I think, though I didn't recognize the model), apparently travelling alone.

Otherwise I'm seeing mainly earbuds here in Norway, but a lot that don't look "stock." More like people have bought $15-$25 (US) upgrades from their stock earbuds, but haven't moved up to PortaPro/Shure/Ety territory yet.

In Paris saw a tall blond fellow, mid-20's, wearing HD-25-1's while shopping in a little novelty/joke/costume shop not far from the Hotel de Ville. Saw him again a few minutes later in a bakery nearby. Kept wondering if he was a fellow head-fi-er.

Jul 24, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #447 of 855
In "Blade Runner" DVD at minute 8:00 just before Harrison Ford is going to appear reading a newspaper sitting somewhere in the crowded city, a neon-light sign is briefly caught by the camera in the top-left corner of the scene, the sign reads "KOSS stereophones"
biggrin.gif
Not exactly a headphone sighting, but an unexpected headphone brand sighting nonetheless.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #449 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by joplin
How come no one has mentioned these headphones?

Where's the "headphone sighting" part of your post? Maybe you meant it for another thread.

Anyway, another unexpected pseudo-sighting: right now reading "The Da Vinci Code" (awesome book btw). Near the bottom of page 39 in the hardcover version: "Collet was comfortable. He adjusted his AKG headphones and checked the input levels on the hard-disk recording system".
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #450 of 855
The usual craptacular sony v150,300,500,600, and the king of the crap hill the v700 @ my school.

Saw a geek with porta pros in the comp lab once, he was busy with unreal 2k4 so i didnt talk to him. i was 15 feet away probably and i could hear the gun shots and explosions from the game off his cans, 95% of the people in my high school are gonin deaf, bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back