headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #31 of 855
I brought my pair over. Why couldn't someone else from out of town bring theirs? Amsterdam is simply CHOKED with tourists! P.S. It had the red FOR DIGITAL sticker on it that typifies the V6, not the blue professional sticker common on the 7506.

Mar 13, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 855
I live in sweden:

Today I saw a girl with a pair of Sporta Pros, which isn't a common sight, usually people here who have Koss phones have a set of Porta Pros. Saw one guy walking around with a pair of serious 600 ohm AKG's with a small headphone backpackm thingy, it was during winter and he has a cap on above the headphones themselves, he looked, truth to say, like a fool; but hey while the rest of us were freezing are a**** off he was off in his own little world. The headphones that I see least here are Grado's to date I have only seen one pair, and I ain't kiddin. Sennheisers pop up here and there, usually 500 series... they too have to struggle to blend in with their rather biggish headphones. Naw I like my porta pros, a little expensive, but I still like them, and they look cute

Mar 15, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #33 of 855
i go to a high school in southern california. everybody that listens to (cheap) cd players or whatever listen with the headphones that came with the player, or street styles (generally sony). i have yet to see anybody with a decent sounding headphone.

i'm generally just getting started into this money sucking business of buying headphones, so i won't be able to get any for awhile. but i started looking at headphones when i ordered my ksc-35's. now i wonder how i lived listening to music the way i used to. i told my friend i bought some headphones for $30 and she told me i wasted money and i should just "deal with" the ones that came with the cd player. another guy said "it didn't really matter." i was shocked... but i guess good sound isn't really a priority for most people, even though they say they like music and probably listen to it more often than i do.

Mar 16, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #34 of 855
On the Hampshire College campus, I see lots of Sony mostly. V6's all over. I've seen Koss Prota Pro's a few times. Among the DJs the Sony V7's are very popular. I know one guy who wears Sony's open-air mid-size MDR-605LP constantly. They look good and sound okay. There's a guy living a few appartments over who has Senns HD600's model with a Antique Sound Labs Tube amp, which blew my mind. When walking around he uses Grado SR 60's. There's several musicians in my appartment who constantly borrow my Grado SR 80's for listening to vocals they've recorded. One guy downstairs has AKG K401's he uses sometimes when practicing with his electric piano or guitar amp. Those sound too dark for my taste, but they are fairly clean and even. The campus has a radio station that broadcasts only over the internet right now... I think the studio uses some Beyerdynamic DT831's, but not sure about that, anyhow they sound very decent. There's some lower end Beyers kicking about in video editing studios, but most video-heads here either use their Sonys, likely to be the V6's, or just blast the sound out of the H/K nearfield speakers that came with our G4s, or patch it out to the studio monitors. I'm not a mucian myslelf, so I don't know what they have in the music studios, but AKG and Beyer wouldn't suprise me at all. Mostly they just kick it with Mackie nearfield and event monitors though.

Personally I wear the Grado SR-80's around my neck almost constantly, hooked up to a Sangean DT110 portable digital FM tuner (actually it's Radio Shack branded, but it's the same unit), because there's 4 other colleges in the area that broadcast and I don't like to miss out. I've got a lot of comments about the Grados lately, and I think the music crowd here has had a very favorable reaction to them.

Mar 16, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #35 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by pennylane
i told my friend i bought some headphones for $30 and she told me i wasted money and i should just "deal with" the ones that came with the cd player. another guy said "it didn't really matter." i was shocked... but i guess good sound isn't really a priority for most people, even though they say they like music and probably listen to it more often than i do.

(argh!!!)

And for that they should each receive 10 lashings in the school yard.
mad.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #36 of 855
damn... I think Massachusetts has to have the highest ratio of fine headphones per capita of anyplace in the world.

I swear I am the only person with a headphone amp in the Baltimore, MD region... but someone please prove me wrong.

dang.

Driftwood

Mar 20, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #39 of 855
Quote:

On the Hampshire College campus, I see lots of Sony mostly. V6's all over. I've seen Koss Prota Pro's a few times. Among the DJs the Sony [size=medium]V7's[/size] are very popular.

Hey, the V7's had been discontinued ages ago. Those are *rare* beasts, you shouldn't be seeing them all over the place! Are you sure you're not referring to the V700? And by V6 do you mean V6 as in V6 or V600

Those are all different things you know... very, very different things, or so I am told
eek.gif

Other than that, though, I must say that your account reads like the fictional Head-Fi College!
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 21, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #40 of 855
I've seen about three, four people with the KSC-50's....

most of them were peers that bought them on my recommendation....

and a lot of people ask to borrow my KSC-35's all the time.... i think I'm going to end up buying a set for someone, as he doesn't have a credit card and is willing to give me $40 to get them to him, lol...

Mar 21, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #41 of 855
Quote:

i told my friend i bought some headphones for $30 and she told me i wasted money and i should just "deal with" the ones that came with the cd player. another guy said "it didn't really matter."

I would tell that girl that she's a nutcase. At first when I told my friends I spent $100 on a pair of headphones for my computer they were like "um, i don't think that's appropriate" then I'm like "well, think about how many dozens of hours I wear them per week." and they got the picture.

ESPECIALLY when I put them down in my computer chair with my amp and my HP890s and played a song they thought they knew. They see real quick where that money went!

Mar 21, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #42 of 855
i confess!! i still uses a sony clip-on/earplugs on the train and out about. I tend to churn through my portable headphones rather quickly and already have a nice collection of dead ear plugs.

I would never take my sennheiser or grado out for portable use in fear of damaging them. Besides they take up too much room in the backpack and they look silly on the train.. better the earplugs and *gulp* street style

ps: headphone for the office is another story
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #43 of 855
Throughout my school career(I'll be a junior in high school next year), I've only seen 1 person with something OTHER than street styles, stock, etc.

He had Koss KSC-50s!!! I sorta went into shock when I saw them. No doubt he got them at the local best buy(hey, I got them for my sister!) because they looked cool. If he only knew. . .

Personally, I wear MX500s to school, and I have hd580s @ home.

Mar 22, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #44 of 855
What a bunch of geeks we all are...

What would you do--go up to him, grab hold of his KSC-50's and say, 'this, my friend, is the legendary KSC-50 of yore. Do you know that what you own is a superb pair of headphones, produced by none other than the great Koss brand... The great andrezpw of xxx had used these to give joy to countless people; the great Baron Gluegun was wearing these when he conquered Team Streetstyles! Use these well, my friend, for you have a great tradition to live up to...'

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back