headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #136 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Keep your eyes open the first week of January. If you see a tall (6' 4") old guy with Ety's and a traveler bag near the counterbalance it will be me. Will be visiting my Mother in law that lives on the other side near 15th Ave.

cool. i used to live on the counterbalance.

Dec 15, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #138 of 855
I saw a guy wearing a pair of hd600's with a GIANT pcdp on the 3 train in nyc. Saw another guy with a slim-x and white ex70's. Saw 5 people with coby headphones...unknown player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #139 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
I was wearing my Grado SR-60's at my University's Union Foodcourt and as I leaned back to think about a math problem, I saw a guy get up and leave that was wearing Grados as well
eek.gif

dude, I used to go to UIUC....
If I still went there, we could've started a Headphone geek R.O.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #140 of 855
UIUC seems to be vastly underrepresented on the forum. To the best of my knowledge, only jim and I are the only students on the forum though Hirsch is an alumnus. There's that college out in CA that has a lot of students (and even a staff member I think) on the forum, they're the ones with the Banana Slug as their mascot (I swear, there's a good reason why California is slated to eventually sink into the ocean...).

Jan 7, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #141 of 855
Hilarious thread. Read it from beginning to end and ultimately decided to register and post because of it.

Just got into the hobby, so I'll keep my eyes open for any HP sightings in Beverly Hills and Manhattan Beach. Cheers!

Jan 7, 2003 at 10:23 AM Post #142 of 855
Can't remember, but I recall seeing Alicia Keys wearing Grado SR125's in one of her videos once. She also had a Tivoli Audio Model One radio in her first video.

I don't like her stuff that much, but she must have good taste in audio equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #143 of 855
I haven't seen a lot of good headphones out and about,but I did see an interesting pair this weekend.Some friends and I were out to breakfast at Bob Evans,and over at the table across from us was this kid I would guess to be about 8-9 years old sitting with Grandma.....and he had on a pair of Sennheisers,something in the 500 series(my best guess would be 570's....they are on sale at quite a few retail shops around here),one of the 'bionetic' designs.Now people here may not think these are the best Senns in the world,but I think that's a pretty damn nice set of cans for a kid that age...addicted at a young age,what a tragedy.
biggrin.gif

On the other hand,one of the reasons I'm back to reading Head-Fi is to bone up on Ety's.I'm not entirely sure I want to wander around town with my Beyer's on...

Jan 8, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #144 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by Kingboy
...but I think that's a pretty damn nice set of cans for a kid that age...addicted at a young age,what a tragedy.
biggrin.gif

Thank you, thats the first thing I could laugh at today and its already past noon.

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #145 of 855
On Dec 23 just off Broadway near Dick's in Seattle I saw someone walking wearing Eggos.

I also remember an episode of the Cosby show with some silver Grados hanging in the background in the girls' room.

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #146 of 855
I just returned from a week in Seattle and I must say that I noticed more people wearing headphones there than I remember in other cities. They were especially prevalent at the coffee shops where I spent some time. I was relaxing over in Fremont on Monday in the warm sun watching the passersby and enjoying a coffee. I saw a number of Panasonics and Sony headphones nothing too extraordinary. A number of people did take a second look at the Audio Technica EM-7's I was wearing and one young lady even asked what brand they were.

A little off subject, I stopped by Silver Platters in Northgate and was pleasantly surprised by their wide selection and extensive listening collection.

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #147 of 855
here in the NYC subways, the most decent phones i see often are the Sony MDR-EX70's. They seem to be fairly popular in NYC. But as for low-end stuff, i constantly see jWin's, Coby's, Jenson's, cheap stock earbuds, and those stock white iPod earbuds. I would never use those stock iPod buds on mine. I don't care what apple says about their "high-quality" phones, they stink!
rolleyes.gif

and it's not just the headphones people use that appalls me, its the equipment that's usually attached to them. Cassette "walkmans" and portable CD players from, again; jWin, Coby, low end Sony's and Panasonic's, and many other brands i've never heard of.
every single day I see this dude that thinks he looks cool with his MDR-V700DJ's on his head. He always bops his head up and down, flaunting his "cool" phones. one day I would like to walk up to him and let him sample my MDR-7506's or my SR-60's, whichever I'm using that day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #148 of 855
on the NYC subways, i've actually seen it all. i've seen grados (sr60, sr80, sr125, sr225), sennheisers (hd495, hd545), koss (ksc50, ksc35, porta pro, porta pro jr, sporta pro, ksc 55), etymotic (er4p), sony v6, philips cans, etc...

most common 'good' cans i see are koss, followed by grado.

Jan 11, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #149 of 855
I've seen Sennheiser 497's, Grado SR60's, and some assorted Koss phones at school. Several V700 and many street style phones, though.

Jan 12, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #150 of 855
I've never seen (or heard of) the EX70 LPs with tape over the holes. Until I read about it here, I didn't realize there were holes. (I had to look pretty close.) So, what am I missing? What type of tape do you use? Anything special?

BTW, I have replaced the stock ear pads on my EX70s with an old pair of white ear tips from a pair of Etymotic 4S. You have to cut off the smallest bevel on the tips to get the headphones far enough into your ear, but I think (my opinion) it makes a big difference in the quality of the sound. The beveled tips also give you better isolation and make the headphones feel more secure in your ear - not like they always want to fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back