Headphone Sightings 2
Apr 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #2,041 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I saw 4 monster beats in span of 2 hours, three of them white!

the owners/wearers were all guys.

Monster-Beats-by-Dr-Dre-white.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!

For the longest time, the Beats in white kept triggering some sort of nostalgic feelings in me/ kept tugging at something from my memory, and it bothered me for the longest time. I was never able to figure out what memory it was trying to pull out and it FINALLY CAME TO ME!!!

They remind me of this guy Shriek from the Batman Beyond cartoon.

Shriek - Batman Wiki - DC Comics - Batman, Joker, Robin, Riddler, Catwoman

Shriek.jpg

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #2,042 of 12,415
Haha, yeah. I always thought of the soldiers from the Batman Beyond cartoon on WB.

But, yeah. I mostly see Bose and Beats on people. I've actually made a delivery (chinese food) to a group of students, and one was wearing a pair Sennheiser HD201's. All I can say is that they look immensely better in person than in the pictures. The cups have a conspicuously reflective back that looks quite striking. All of the online-store pictures make them look like a matte grey.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #2,043 of 12,415
A week or two ago I could've sworn I saw someone wearing K240s in a local Target. Every once in awhile I see Bose Triports or Sony V150s [I had a college roommate once who had V150s], but I almost universally see the white iBuds.

Personally I don't wear my HD 280s out in public much - especially during the summer - but every once in a great while I do. Now that I have my HJE900s, I'll be wearing those around town. I don't expect anyone to recognize either of the phones I wear outside. Actually, I have worn my HD 497s to the laundromat a few times, but since they're open, they're pretty exclusive to home use.

I am somewhat relieved I haven't seen someone wearing Beats, though....

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #2,044 of 12,415
I've seen one Grado SR80's around my school (other than mine), and ton of Sony MDR-V150's, and a lot of Skullcandy's, unfortunately.

My roommate is the only one I know with good IEM's, he has Shure SE310's.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #2,047 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spotted a rather rare thing over here: some Dr. Dre Beats.

Not to my surprise, he was an American international student + fits the stereotype that it'll attract.

We'd be happy to ship more over if you want. The students, that is.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #2,048 of 12,415
Typing from my iPod Touch. Just saw a pair of MDR 150s and as I typed this kid pulled out some UR 40s. My first open headphone sighting! Today is off to a good start!

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2,049 of 12,415
I actually saw someone with a pair of Audio Technica M50's on campus yesterday. Needless to say I was surprised.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #2,050 of 12,415
I saw someone with a pair of M50 as well this morning, on my way to college. Surprising!

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2,051 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I had an interesting encounter today. It wasn't a sighting by me, but it was actually one of my teachers who saw mine!
So I brought my MS-1's to school today, and in my Seminar my teacher (one of the few that I actually like) noticed I had them, and told me he was surprised to see someone else with Grado headphones. It turns out he has the SR-125's.
He wanted to try them, and I was willing to let him, but unfortunately my iPod was dead. He really wanted hear them though, so he actually borrowed another kid's iPod and used that.
He liked them, but commented that they had less bass than his 125's. I made a comment about the small soundstage, and I guess he's not a huge audiophile because he didn't know what I meant by soundstage. I explained, and he said he didn't think his 125's had a small soundstage. I'm guessing he just hasn't heard anything that actually does have soundstage.
Anyway, it was really cool to find out that someone who I've known for a while is interested in good audio, and even has Grado headphones! Now I'm actually curious to hear what the SR-125's sound like. Maybe sometime I'll get the opportunity to try his out. Probably not. :p

Oh, and also, a few days ago at my Clarinet lesson I noticed my Clarinet instructor had a headphone pre-amp. I already knew she was into audio gear (apparently she worked at a hi-fi store where she was exposed to uber-awesome speakers and learned a lot about hi-fi audio), but it was nice to see some of her gear.

So some cool encounters recently.
biggrin.gif

Well just now I had another cool experience with the teacher who has SR-125's. Today I brought my AD-700's, which he had not heard of or seen before. As with the MS-1's I let him try them out, although this time my iPod was working and I was able to use the E-5 with it.
For the auditon, I played two songs. First Come Together by The Beatles and then Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. He was very impressed with the bass, surprisingly. I realized that I had the E-5's bass boost on, so I briefly A-B'd with and without the boost. He decided that there wasn't a whole lot of quantity in the bass, but what it has is controlled and strong...pretty consistent with most Head-Fier opinions. After the short audition, he said that he had been specifically listening for soundstage and thought it was very wide with good instrument placement...again a consistent conclusion.
Overall he seemed very impressed. Indeed, this is turning out to be a very good day!

This only makes me more eager to try his SR-125's! I'll mention that that I'm interested in trying them after I post this.
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE: He said he'd bring the 125's as well as his noise-cancelling Audio Technicas (not sure what model)!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #2,052 of 12,415
Mostly just crappy JVC and Sony Buds. Not to mention a billion iBuds.

I nearly cringed when I saw somebody with the Skullcrushers. Those things are some of the worst excuses for audio equipment I have ever heard.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #2,053 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'd be happy to ship more over if you want. The students, that is.

We can probably stand to ship some of the headphones too, while we're at it
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back