Headphone safety puzzle
Feb 19, 2006 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gino

500+ Head-Fier
I've been reading posts claiming IEMs are "safer" than full cans or speakers for that matter. I don't totally buy this. SPL is SPL right?

If I hear loud music from full cans and hear it just as loud using IEMs, they are registering same SPL right? So hearing damage if existent should be the same? I don't think a full can's "SPL" will be more damaging than an IEM's "SPL".

Perhaps the lower volume level from the source in each instance gives this perception. Or that with IEMs and its good isolation, one can appreciate lower SPL.

Please elighten me.

Feb 19, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
I've been reading posts claiming IEMs are "safer" than full cans or speakers for that matter. I don't totally buy this. SPL is SPL right?

If I hear loud music from full cans and hear it just as loud using IEMs, they are registering same SPL right? So hearing damage if existent should be the same? I don't think a full can's "SPL" will be more damaging than an IEM's "SPL".

Perhaps the lower volume level from the source in each instance gives this perception. Or that with IEMs and its good isolation, one can appreciate lower SPL.

Please elighten me.

Technically some people say they are safer since in theory they block out external noise quite well so you could listen to them at a lower volume but I always found that most people turn them up anyway, I know I did whenever I got to a song I really liked, even though they block out exterior noise, so for some they are actually more dangerous for your ears, if you are one of those people who doesn't turn them up though I guess they would be better for you.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 4
IEMs are safer in noisy environments due to their isolation. In a quiet environment your thinking is correct, but in a noisy environment, the substantial isolation IEMs give you mean you need a much lower 'real' volume level to get the same 'perceived' volume level, as compared to open cans or even most closed cans.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 4
In a noisy environment, IEMs are undoutedly more ear-friendly because you can leave them at the same volume as in a quiet place, but other headphones need to compensate, be turned up.

In a silent environment 50dB is 50dB, from anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back