Headphone Review in Wall St. Journal
Apr 19, 2002 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ponzio

That strange guy readingover your shoulder
While standing in line to get an egg sandwich this morning, I leaned over the shoulder of the person ahead in line (yes, I am that guy sometimes) and spotted a review of portable headphones with photo's, tables of info, prices etc. I only got a few quick glances, but all the phones reviewed appeared to be over-the-head portable models and pretty common consumer brands.

Does anyone have a copy nearby for a summary? I wouldn't expect too much detail in the article, but thought it was refreshing that at least an editor somewhere thought it print-worthy.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by ponzio
While standing in line to get an egg sandwich this morning, I leaned over the shoulder of the person ahead in line (yes, I am that guy sometimes)....

You nearly had me in tears, ponzio, I was laughing so hard.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 3

KurtW

500+ Head-Fier
The article was on noise canceling headphones. Here's a summary for what its worth:

Etronics
Sony MDR-NC5, $69
800-323-7669
www.etronics.com
Quality: Best Overall. The best music quality, and the most portable of the five. Used without music, there's a noticeable hiss. Uses AAA battery.

Sharper Image
NoiseBuster Extreme $39.99
800-344-4444
www.sharperimage.com
Quality: Best Value. Very quiet, with good audio quality. More lightweight than the pair from Sony. Takes two AAA batteries.

Crutchfield
Sennheiser HDC 451 $99.95
888-955-6000
www.crutchfield.com
Quality: Excellent noise-canceling ability when used without music, but music sounded tinny and far away. Takes two AA batteries.

Next Generation
Aiwa HP-CN5, $36
800-860-4411
www.nxgen.com
Quality: Decent audio, but with a noise-canceling hum whether music was on or off. Fit was uncomfortably tight-we couldn't adjust for head width.

J&R Music/Computer World
Panasonic RP-HC70 $39.99
800-806-1115
www.jandr.com
Quality: We heard a distinct hissing, with and without music. They were comfortable, though. Takes single AAA battery.

Users who are viewing this thread