Headphone Repair / Upgrade - DIY plug Help?? (UE 6000)
Jan 12, 2018 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi HF -
I have a set of ultimate ears UE6000s. One of my earliest forays into nicer headphones. It, of course, has that shoddy 1.8" connection in the right ear and I haven't been able to keep them working well. I like the cans, but they get no use, so I am in to try a little headphone surgery if anyone has advice/tips/tricks.
I used to flip music gear - basic wiring fixes on guitars and the like - so I probably won't ruin the 6000s. If there are any thoughts of upgrades I'd be interested in that too. TiA

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 3
It looks like a 3.5mm mini at first glance. Have you tried another cable to confirm it's the jack and not the cable or plug? It is common for 3.5mm jacks to go bad over time, they lose contact tension, so it wouldn't surprise me. There are plenty of DIY 3.5mm jacks on the market, so you should be able to fit another one, or just hardwire the cable directly. The next step is taking the headphone cup apart and taking some photos so we can see what you are working with. Most headphones are pretty easy to take apart with a screwdriver, letter opener and a little bit of elbow grease. The wiring inside is simple, much simpler than a guitar, although guitar parts are far more robust. You'll usually dealing with flimsy plastic inside headphones.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the response. I have tried numerous cables, the issue persisted. I think these UEs had a known issue with the plug. I found some instructions for disassembly - I'll drop in pics and updates. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back