Headphone Recommendations
Aug 19, 2002 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jinx

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole headphone universe and I need a recommendation on a new set. First of all, just for reference, I have a pair of Sony EX70's which I love and a pair of Koss UR30's which aren't so great (although not bad) and a pair of Kenwoods (don't remember model). I'm looking for a pair of great sounding headphones for use with my computer (Audigy sound card). I intend to do music listening, music production (I'm a musician), and maybe a little gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
. Preferably a closed pair (and NOT earbuds, the larger models please). I'm willing to spend about $100. What's the best I can get? Thanks!

Aug 19, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Here are a couple models that I believe fit your requirements. Sony V-6
Sennheiser HD280

Both are closed, circumaural phones, that are relatively easy to drive.

Aug 19, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 12
If you have classical or Jazz leanings, and don't mind the fit of the 280 (MAKE SURE YOU CAN RETURN THE PHONES if comfort is an issue), it's a great phone. If you're looking more for a slightly more all-rounder with better comfort, the V6/7506 would fit the bill.

If you are thinking about portable use for the phones, avoid the 280's.

Also I haven't even tried these, but how about the HD25 SP - anyone have an opinion about those?

Aug 20, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Also I haven't even tried these, but how about the HD25 SP - anyone have an opinion about those?

I had them and sold them. They're comfortable, but the mid-bass is way too excessive.

Aug 24, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Well, if you are going to make recommendations, let's do all aspects here for optimal performance:

1) Source. You are listening to an Audigy. To maximize your listening pleasure, I would suggest mp3s at least encoded to 192 CBR, and --alt-standard or -extreme on LAME preferred. Or just use wav files or CD playback. If you do use mp3's, I suggest either CoolPlayer or WinAmp 2.x with the MAD plugin for your in source plugin, and the new ASIO out plugin. This will bypass kmixer and the other unfortunate software resamplers. Unfortunately, the Audigy is an AC97 card, and your mp3 files and wavs would have to be upsampled to 48K sampling rate for the ASIO to work. Not a problem if you rip them yourself. An easy way to do this is either use Ogg Vorbis, or upsample using something like CoolEdit.

Set your drivers to 4-spkr mode, and use the Rear Outs for the playback, since that port uses the I2S Bus and the Phillips DACs, as opposed to the Creative Tech DAC on the Fronts.

2) For headphones, consider the Koss A250. You can get these for $99 if you shop around and are only 120 Ohm, so you should be able to drive these nicely. They have a really nice sound for the money, as some have compared it to the HD580s and Grado 225s in quality. (Your mileage may vary)

Yeah, i know this is a lot in one gulp, and I would be very happy to answer your questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Chastity
2) For headphones, consider the Koss A250. You can get these for $99 if you shop around and are only 120 Ohm, so you should be able to drive these nicely. They have a really nice sound for the money, as some have compared it to the HD580s and Grado 225s in quality. (Your mileage may vary)

Just curious, but who compares the A250 to the HD 580 and SR225?

But more to the point, the A250 are $130-$150, which is $20-$50 over Jinx's budget
frown.gif
(And personally, if I was going to spend the money for the A250, the Beyer DT250-80 would be a much better buy, IMO)

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Ah, I'm a regular over at 3DSoundSurge's forum, and they just setup a dedicated Headphone forum over there. The Koss A250 phones has been a topic of discussion, with all sorts of links to other reviews.

Anyone is welcome to visit there as well, and then more people can feel sorry for their wallet.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the info; unfortunately, I'll pass. I've read some of the "audio" discussion that goes on over at 3DSoundSurge, and I'll stay here where people have... um... good ears
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back