Headphone recommendations for music/gaming/movies
Dec 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

remedy1419

New Head-Fier
So my HD555's have started to rattle incredibly even at low volumes in the right ear, and my warranty is expired. Therefore, I'm now in the market for some new phones.

Few facts:
-I love the comfort of the HD555's, especially since I have a small head.
-Open/closed headphones makes no difference to me, I'll just be using these at home.

I'll primarily need headphones which are phenomenal for music, then games, and movies last. That's my little order of priorities for new headphones. I have a mic already for games, so I don't need a headset.

I listen to high quality (properly ripped) music of all types, primarily either hip hop or alternative, though.

As far as games, I play a few games competitively (CS 1.6 and CoD4) so positioning is pretty important, but most phones do that well as long as they have a decent sound stage.

Budget is around $200.

My setup is:
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude -> Logitech Z5500's -> Headphones

I've been looking at AD700's, but beyond that I can't seem to differentiate between all the other models of phones people mention.

If there's any info I missed, drop a reply and I'll throw it in here. Thanks in advance.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy1419 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my HD555's have started to rattle incredibly even at low volumes in the right ear, and my warranty is expired. Therefore, I'm now in the market for some new phones.

Few facts:
-I love the comfort of the HD555's, especially since I have a small head.
-Open/closed headphones makes no difference to me, I'll just be using these at home.

I'll primarily need headphones which are phenomenal for music, then games, and movies last. That's my little order of priorities for new headphones. I have a mic already for games, so I don't need a headset.

I listen to high quality (properly ripped) music of all types, primarily either hip hop or alternative, though.

As far as games, I play a few games competitively (CS 1.6 and CoD4) so positioning is pretty important, but most phones do that well as long as they have a decent sound stage.

Budget is around $200.

My setup is:
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude -> Logitech Z5500's -> Headphones

I've been looking at AD700's, but beyond that I can't seem to differentiate between all the other models of phones people mention.

If there's any info I missed, drop a reply and I'll throw it in here. Thanks in advance.

I like my ATH-AD500s so much that I asked for ATH-AD700s for Christmas.
And the ATH-AD700s are well under your $200 budget.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my ATH-AD500s so much that I asked for ATH-AD700s for Christmas.
And the ATH-AD700s are well under your $200 budget.

My issue with those is that everyone I know who has gotten them says they're huge, and I have a tiny head. From what I hear, the AD/ATH 700/900's are too big for me.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 9
You just need to decide if you want open or closed headphones. I think the AT's will suit you best as they are low impedance and will not need an amp. The 770 is 80 Ohms and should work with your sources but not quite as well as the AT's. I mentioned the 770's because the Pro model at 80 Ohms is a bass monster if that is important to you.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 9
I think I'll end up going with Open headphones. I assume the best I can get around my price point would be the ATH-AD900's then, hm? Are there any alternatives you guys know of?

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 9
The Sennheiser HD595s are going for 169.99 on jr.com and I believe they go for 179.99 on headphone.com. Headphone.com has amazing customer service so i would buy from them first but jr is no slouch in that department either from my experience.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy1419 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll end up going with Open headphones. I assume the best I can get around my price point would be the ATH-AD900's then, hm? Are there any alternatives you guys know of?

I think for an all rounder that wont be amped and with the price range, you made a great choice. They will also take to being amped at some point too if you decide to go that way.

http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?...a&filter_id=10

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 9
I just remember seeing the Dt770s(pro) as ideal phones for gaming/movies. Your headphone out on the Z5500s should easily be enough to power them. They would probably compliment hiphop as well... But for some reason I have a feeling that AD900s would better fit your needs. I think that since you already have Z5500s set up with your desktop rig, you should be fine on movies and partly on games (considering you have the option of speakers). The AD900s have been known to be very nice for gaming and music alike. It just comes down to what you prefer :]

Also I think you may be overlooking the importance of a open/closed design. Generally, an open design will have a better soundstage whereas a closed design will have better bass (and isolation) but that's not always the case. I haven't tried the AD900s so I can't make a judgment call on that, sorry :[

Users who are viewing this thread

Back