Headphone recommendation
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Gym_Turtle

100+ Head-Fier
I went to a local audio store and tried out the LCD-Xs, which sounded absolutely insane playing Soilwork's Living Infinite album off Tidal Hi-Fi.

However, I'm still torn between headphone choices. My budget goes all the way up to 1200 USD and right now I have a Feliks Euforia amp.

The music I listen to is rock (Queen, The Clash, King Crimson), David Bowie (no clue how to classify his music), metal (progressive to heavy), blues and jazz (Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra). I adore airy sound signatures with smooth mids, impactful lows with strong presence, and clear highs. I prefer better mids and highs over the lows, however I'm open to sound signatures as I'm new to the audiophile hobby.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 37
You might have a look at the HD-800's as I'm sure the Feliks would do them pretty good as I like them with a tube amp.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 37
You might have a look at the HD-800's as I'm sure the Feliks would do them pretty good as I like them with a tube amp.
The HD-800 is a bit out of my budget. Since I'm really only willing to spend 1200 USD and I live in a place where customs cost way too much for me to ship headphones in by myself.

Edit: The shipping and customs is referring to buying second hand or trading.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 37
You can find pretty good deals on a used pair as I did and mine were mint and only payed $680. Another to check out is the MR Speakers Aeon which are also very good not for sure how they react to the Euphoria as it is a OTL amp but they claim it works well with Planars so I'll take their word at it as I have not heard it yet. I'm sure there are more but I only recommend ones I own or have heard . I have to say Soilwork is much different than the others you listed. I love all the others you listed and these guys aren't bad just not in that mood right now as I listen just about anything . Saw King Crimson is concert in 82 the one with Fripp , Belew , Levine and Bruford still one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 37
You can find pretty good deals on a used pair as I did and mine were mint and only payed $680. Another to check out is the MR Speakers Aeon which are also very good not for sure how they react to the Euphoria as it is a OTL amp but they claim it works well with Planars so I'll take their word at it as I have not heard it yet. I'm sure there are more but I only recommend ones I own or have heard . I have to say Soilwork is much different than the others you listed. I love all the others you listed and these guys aren't bad just not in that mood right now as I listen just about anything . Saw King Crimson is concert in 82 the one with Fripp , Belew , Levine and Bruford still one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
My music choice is very diverse, I'd say. Pretty much the only music I can't get into is hop. Don't really have a specific reason, just not into the style and sound. People have preferences, each to their own.

Edit: I tried out the HD-800S while in Japan and felt they were a bit too big and awkward (in terms of the cups, everything else was fine) for me. Another reason why I liked the LCD-X is because it was hefty and felty durable, while having a light enough clamping force for my big head.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 37
My music choice is very diverse, I'd say. Pretty much the only music I can't get into is hop. Don't really have a specific reason, just not into the style and sound. People have preferences, each to their own.

Edit: I tried out the HD-800S while in Japan and felt they were a bit too big and awkward (in terms of the cups, everything else was fine) for me. Another reason why I liked the LCD-X is because it was hefty and felty durable, while having a light enough clamping force for my big head.
Well then you should save up and get the LCD-X's if you liked them that much it would be only about $400 more. I like the LCD line and have no problem with their weight and have not head any complaints on the construction either the LCD 4's are in my top ten of best headphones I've heard and the XC's are also very good.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 37
They rock. Plain and simple. Dynamic overachiever, tonally accurate, frequency extension is pretty deep at both ends. Soundstaging is largey recording dependent, but what is in there is rendered nicely. It's not the last word in detailed resolution but is damn close IMHO. Plenty of reviews now out there. I am keeping mine for a long time.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 37
I think I might be willing to shell out a bit more money to buy an LCD-3, so does anyone have recommendations at that price point? Or experience with similar high impedance planar magnetic headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 37
They rock. Plain and simple. Dynamic overachiever, tonally accurate, frequency extension is pretty deep at both ends. Soundstaging is largey recording dependent, but what is in there is rendered nicely. It's not the last word in detailed resolution but is damn close IMHO. Plenty of reviews now out there. I am keeping mine for a long time.

Tonally accurate? Not how I'd describe the Elear, especially with the sucked out upper midrange :frowning2:

I wanted to like the Elear but couldn't.

I'd spend the extra and get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation, excellent headphones that work with all genres and pair really well with Feliks audio tube amps.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 37
Tonally accurate? Not how I'd describe the Elear, especially with the sucked out upper midrange :frowning2:

I wanted to like the Elear but couldn't.

I'd spend the extra and get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation, excellent headphones that work with all genres and pair really well with Feliks audio tube amps.
Haha. Opinions vary. I own the T1.2 and can't stand them. Dull, veiled sonics, truncated frequency extension and slow transients. Comfortable all day long though.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back