Headphone recommendation
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 37
Totally get the weight issue...it's one of the reasons that I have HiFiMan Edition X's instead

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #18 of 37
Hmmm...you might like the Edition X then. Definitely a 'set and forget' headphone for me...put my player on shuffle and just listen to music.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #21 of 37
The LCD 2 is pretty forgiving of bad recordings and I'd assume the rest of them in that line are somewhat similar. As for weight, I don't think the issue is how heavy the cans are, but the bad headband design for the LCD's. If you can budget for the X and throw in $200 for the carbon fiber headband it should make it much more comfortable. I'm still flip flopping in my mind about buying the upgrade headband :p

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #24 of 37
Tonally accurate? Not how I'd describe the Elear, especially with the sucked out upper midrange :frowning2:

I wanted to like the Elear but couldn't.

I'd spend the extra and get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation, excellent headphones that work with all genres and pair really well with Feliks audio tube amps.

Agreed.Beyer T1.2 fits the OPs original description,also very comfortable.I personally find them too bright,and the mids dont have enough texture for metal.YMMV.

I'll see if I can try out the Focal Elear then. Mostly depends on how it deals with the older Sinatra songs that I listen to or some of the iffy metal recordings that I listen to.

Headphones wont turn crappy production into gold...I listen to a lot of metal,and poor production is part of the equation.Old metal like Maiden sound dark and lifeless,so a bright HP typically is preferred.Old blues on the other hand can be quite bright and lacking bass,so a warm HP is preferred. This is the reason so many members own multiple HPs.

Does anyone have any experience with ZMF headphones? I've seen them mentioned a lot, but there's no way I'd be able to try them out.

I own the Atticus and the Blackwoods.What would you like to know?

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #25 of 37
Agreed.Beyer T1.2 fits the OPs original description,also very comfortable.I personally find them too bright,and the mids dont have enough texture for metal.YMMV.

Headphones wont turn crappy production into gold...I listen to a lot of metal,and poor production is part of the equation.Old metal like Maiden sound dark and lifeless,so a bright HP typically is preferred.Old blues on the other hand can be quite bright and lacking bass,so a warm HP is preferred. This is the reason so many members own multiple HPs.

I own the Atticus and the Blackwoods.What would you like to know?
Just want to know how the soundstage for ZMF headphones are generally, mainly the Atticus or Ori. Along with what their sound signature is like. I've tried out open-back headphones, but I've never heard a single pair of semi-open headphones.

Just wanted to know if the headphones would keep the recordings bearable; as I can't deal with a headphone being too unforgiving when it comes to showing the details in recordings.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 37
Just want to know how the soundstage for ZMF headphones are generally, mainly the Atticus or Ori. Along with what their sound signature is like. I've tried out open-back headphones, but I've never heard a single pair of semi-open headphones.

Just wanted to know if the headphones would keep the recordings bearable; as I can't deal with a headphone being too unforgiving when it comes to showing the details in recordings.

I havent heard The Ori,so my comments are on the Atticus:

Soundstage is pretty good for a closed back(semi-open is closed IMHO),but I didnt buy The Atticus for its soundstage,just like I wouldnt buy the HD800 for its bass.

Zach tunes his headphones to have glorious mids and bass,with the treble rolled off,so theres a non-fatiguing quality about the ZMF sound.
Having owned many pairs of HPs over the years,The Atticus is my current fav of alltime.It isnt neutral.It isnt the final word in resolving or detail.Its just damn sweet to listen to and does metal extremely well.

EDIT: FWIW if youre considering pulling the trigger on The Atticus I would highly recommend asking about your amp with The Atticus.It isnt hard to drive,but the bass response is highly dependent upon amp being used.

Just a heads up, Zach has just announced his first ever non Fostex open back headphone....Pricing and release date to follow this weekend...check The Eikon/Atticus thread for more info.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 37
I havent heard The Ori,so my comments are on the Atticus:

Soundstage is pretty good for a closed back(semi-open is closed IMHO),but I didnt buy The Atticus for its soundstage,just like I wouldnt buy the HD800 for its bass.

Zach tunes his headphones to have glorious mids and bass,with the treble rolled off,so theres a non-fatiguing quality about the ZMF sound.
Having owned many pairs of HPs over the years,The Atticus is my current fav of alltime.It isnt neutral.It isnt the final word in resolving or detail.Its just damn sweet to listen to and does metal extremely well.

EDIT: FWIW if youre considering pulling the trigger on The Atticus I would highly recommend asking about your amp with The Atticus.It isnt hard to drive,but the bass response is highly dependent upon amp being used.

Just a heads up, Zach has just announced his first ever non Fostex open back headphone....Pricing and release date to follow this weekend...check The Eikon/Atticus thread for more info.

I have the Feliks Euforia as an amp.

Also, I heard based on the CanJam Chicago meetup article. The ZMF Auteur, open-back dynamic headphones made by Zach. They look fantastic, just like all of the ZMF headphones. Although, I'm new to the "audiophile" hobby and can't choose between planar magnetic or dynamic.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 37
FWIW, I believe there's a "Focal Super Deal" on the Elear's this month for $699 (found it over at the top of the "Introductions, Help and Recommendations" forum), which I think is a steal. I've heard them (my best friend has them) and I really enjoyed them, but I haven't spent enough time to really comment in detail on how they sound, unfortunately.

Also, FWIW, Headfonics published a review of the 2017 Feliks Elise, and they said this about the Elears:

"Using the Elear
The Elise, combined with my Focal Elear, is sublime beyond words and a match made in audio heaven. The Elear’s properties mirror the Elise: good height and width, amazing depth of field, a bit clinical and closer to the middle of the road in terms of tonality and texture. That setup is end game depth of field and realism factor for dynamic driver headphone experiences, at least in my opinion."

Since you have the Euforia (basically a beefed-up Elise), I personally would give the Elear's a shot, especially at the deal price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back