Headphone recommendation-wireless-HD Movies
Dec 14, 2007 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

doctorxring

New Head-Fier
Hi

I just found this site on a recommendation from avsforum.

I would like to obtain a set of wireless headphones to use while watching
TV in my bedroom while the wifey is asleep.

This is my set-up -- Panasonic BD30K Blu-Ray hooked to a Panasonic
42PZ700U plasma TV via HDMI. I have a digital audio out on the TV.

Can you give me a recommendation for some good wireless
phones (over ear type) inside of $200. Ones that do 5.1
if possible. If that type goes over $200 what would be the
first tier that would be a good choice there ? So I guess
I might be asking for two recommendations.
redface.gif

thanks kindly, Chris

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Friendly lot here. Nobody wants to help huh?

I have not heard them but I believe the Sennheiser Wireless headphones will do you right proper steady.

Sennheiser USA - Wireless

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

You might want to drop the 5.1 idea. A decent set of stereo headphones will sound perfectly fine since you only have 2 ears.

If you are listening to 5.1 media, the CCCP codec pack has a normalise option which will retain the surround sound but requires more amplification. Someone can try and explain this better than I could.

-Jonathan

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7
If you can handle a wire, here's the holy grail of 5.1 systems, IMO: beyerdynamic: Headzone 5.1 System People around here are not too fond of wireless headphones. I use Sennheiser 580/600s for movies and 5.1 downmixed to 2 channel. And a wire. And a Toshiba HD-A3. And a 50 inch Samsung plasma. I'm also active over on that other site. Works for me and it meets your budget.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 7
We don't talk about wireless headphones much because we don't like to compromise on sound. Hardly anybody here wouldn't rather use a long extension cord.

Sorry for the lack of responses but we just don't know. Sennheiser and AKG both appear to have good wireless sets.

We can tell you, unequivocally, that "5.1" headphones with multiple drivers in them are crap. They fail at surround-sound and they fail as headphones. if you must have surround-sound, you're much better off with a dsp that will accept the multi-channel input and apply the appropriate HRTF methods to simulate surround into two drivers.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Friendly lot here. Nobody wants to help huh?

I have not heard them but I believe the Sennheiser Wireless headphones will do you right proper steady.

Sennheiser USA - Wireless

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

I have a pair of RS120s that I use for movies and games. Not a bad pair for being wireless, but you'll always be better of with a wired pair and a long extension as noted above.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We don't talk about wireless headphones much because we don't like to compromise on sound. Hardly anybody here wouldn't rather use a long extension cord.

Sorry for the lack of responses but we just don't know. Sennheiser and AKG both appear to have good wireless sets.

We can tell you, unequivocally, that "5.1" headphones with multiple drivers in them are crap. They fail at surround-sound and they fail as headphones. if you must have surround-sound, you're much better off with a dsp that will accept the multi-channel input and apply the appropriate HRTF methods to simulate surround into two drivers.

x2 - Extension cord ftw, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back