Headphone recommendation plz
Jul 13, 2005 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aita

Head-Fier
Hello have been pricing and comparing headphones for about 2 weeks now and need to make a decision on which to get based on three criteria in this order 1. Sound Isolation (will not be heard and no one will hear me) 2. DEEP BASS (rap/rock heavy though i venture into jazz/reggae) 3. Soud quality (no point in hearing the music if you can hear the lyrics right?) ive priced all of these headphones within my range and they will be used with a CD/MP3 player with a Boostaroo headphone amp(dont laugh i heard it was good and i got it for $5) here are the headphones:

1.Senn. HD280 Pro
2. Senn HD212 Pro
3. Beyer DT231
4.Senn EH250
5.Sony MDR-V700DJ
6.Technics RP-DH 1200
7.Stanton DJ Pro 2000
8.Audio Technica ATH-D40fs
9.JVC HADX1
10.Sony V7506/V6

if anyone can tell me which if these closed headphones fit the criteria the best or order them in which closest fits and the next closest and so on. Really appreciate any and all help (P.S. my last headphones were Sony V300's which i found lacking in bass and decent in sound quality if that helps to judge them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aita

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 13
These stand out in front of the rest:

1.Senn. HD280 Pro (Strong bass, bad highs, smoother than Sonys, Sonys have better presence)
10.Sony V7506/V6 (Great bass, nice sound overall, highs are comparatively grainy)

Audio-Technica A500s and A900s are great too if you don't mind their size. (Bass is present. Extension is comparatively great. Closed. Great quality. Also value.)

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 13
You have been here for 2 weeks and somehow have missed the DT770? The 80 Ohm version might be powered ok by ye olde boostaroo, but don't hold me to that! But other than this bassmeister, I agree with the above rec of the V6/V7506 or the HD280 from your list (Tho personally I didn't like the HD280 and it has a tendency to break, and takes a billion years to burn in).

Edit - Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
icon10.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 13
thanx for the reply Jahn though i didnt miss the beyer 770 i just didnt know there was an 80 ohm version ( i think i saw the specs reading a much higher ohmage than that) anyways thnx again

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Let me rule out a few cans from your list:
MDR-V700. Overpriced, not all that great sounding, breaks.
Stanton - cheapo crap, AFAIK.
RP-DH1200 - IIRC it's OK sounding, but nothing particularly exciting either. (Search forum.)
ATH-D40fs - similar to the Technics cans (i.e. OK but not outstanding); dig out the thread from a while back for details.
DT231 - only moderate level of isolation for closed cans, plus a tad on the bright side (currently looking for a replacement because of this). Decent bass tho.

A few more points to consider:

HD212 Pros have very, very strong bass - something for real bassheads, but not appealing to everyone. The eH250 has a much flatter frequency response and would certainly be worth considering when it comes to reasonably small cans.

HD280s apparently share a few characteristics with the old HD250 II if you look at the Headroom frequency response graph. Because of the way they are EQ'd, these aren't really basshead cans. I imagine the 280s' bass level may improve in terms of dropping off at lower freqs (like with the HD250 II) given sufficient burn-in, but that's about it.

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 13
hey a friend of mine told me about a supposedly "awesome" set of headphones the Sennheiser HD 25. I've read nothiong but good reviews though most reviewers whine about about extreme volume and bass which is exactly what i want. has anybody heard these and if so can u compare them with my list at the top in terms of bass and isolation? thanks for your help guys

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 13
hmmmm headphones do have a tendency to be quite overated in some aspects (the Bose Triports for example) thnx for the heads up

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 13
that seems to be the headphone of choice (besides beyer DT770 but thats too expensive) the circuitcity by my house has them so i'll try them out and return them if i dont like them in the same day (only way i can return them though i wouldn't have to do this if my little brother weren't so darn stingy since he whines when i even touc anything that "belongs" to him

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 13
DT770 would be a perfect choice... have an audition before parting yr money

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aita
hey a friend of mine told me about a supposedly "awesome" set of headphones the Sennheiser HD 25. I've read nothiong but good reviews though most reviewers whine about about extreme volume and bass which is exactly what i want. has anybody heard these and if so can u compare them with my list at the top in terms of bass and isolation? thanks for your help guys

The hd25-1s are generally considered the best portable non-IEM headphone out there.
For home use you can do better for the money tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back