Headphone recommendation: Meze Empyrean and Focal Utopia

4K ranges headphone budget, what your recommended HD?

• Meze Empyrean

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Focal Utopia

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

altyne

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need recommendation for full size HD. Currently, I have aging Hifiman HD500 with Schiit Lyr and Bifrost (version 1). I need an upgrade mainly listening to rock (but sometimes listens to cringe (love songs), background and classical music if my family is around).

I do not want too much bombastic and muffle sounded HD. Bass should enough and felt.

I do programming/development all day.

I cannot do audition in my place since most audio shop here closes for public (due to covid).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi all,

I need recommendation for full size HD. Currently, I have aging Hifiman HD500 with Schiit Lyr and Bifrost (version 1). I need an upgrade mainly listening to rock (but sometimes listens to cringe (love songs), background and classical music if my family is around).

I do not want too much bombastic and muffle sounded HD. Bass should enough and felt.

I do programming/development all day.

I cannot do audition in my place since most audio shop here closes for public (due to covid).
The Meze Empyrean is not the same class of headphone as the Utopia. Did you mean the Meze Elite?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 13
The Meze Empyrean is not the same class of headphone as the Utopia. Did you mean the Meze Elite?

really? are they're not in the same league? Most of the reviews I read Empyrean is most bassy than elite. Ok, for price they are not the same. What I mean for the sound subjectively, they some almost the same?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 13
really? are they're not in the same league? Most of the reviews I read Empyrean is most bassy than elite. Ok, for price they are not the same. What I mean for the sound subjectively, they some almost the same?
The Empyrean is more bassy but it's somewhat bloated. The Elite is punchier and more controlled with better bass texture.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 13
The Empyrean is more bassy but it's somewhat bloated. The Elite is punchier and more controlled with better bass texture.
Ok, thanks for explanation. Among these option which do you prefer for mostly rock music ? Or you can recommend other alternative?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 13
I compared the Utopia with the Elite and chose the Elite for my personal tastes, but I don't listen to a ton of rock. The Elite is vastly more comfortable to me. You mentioned needing to wear it around family--is isolation not an issue?

If they're available in UAE, what I'd recommend for rock would be a ZMF... something like a Verite Closed or if open is still not a concern, the Atrium (which I have not heard personally).

But again, if long sessions and comfort matter, the Elite is my choice.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 13
I compared the Utopia with the Elite and chose the Elite for my personal tastes, but I don't listen to a ton of rock. The Elite is vastly more comfortable to me. You mentioned needing to wear it around family--is isolation not an issue?

If they're available in UAE, what I'd recommend for rock would be a ZMF... something like a Verite Closed or if open is still not a concern, the Atrium (which I have not heard personally).

But again, if long sessions and comfort matter, the Elite is my choice.
If family around, I just lowered the volume 😒. I prefer open back headphone because most closed HD tend to have this vacuum-effect.

This is no distro/authorized reseller from my place. Yeah, its my first heard this brand (interestingly, there are some other brands that can compete with mainstream known brands).

Thank you mate.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 13
You're welcome. Let us know what you get.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 13
The Utopia works great. I used it quite a bit for rock and find it exceptional for that genre. Bass is tight and palpable. But I've since deferred role that to my ZMF Atrium as I find it even more enjoyable for rock with even more bass so I'd actually recommend that over the Utopia if you can get it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I’m with @helljudgement on this one the ZMF Atrium is a excellent headphone that can do many genres very well. I had a loaner pair for a couple of months and just loved them. They came out with a LTD in Cocobolo ( the same as my Verite opens) and just ordered a pair 10 minutes ago. You might PM @zach915m the owner of ZMF to see how you could get a pair in your country if your interested.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Can they offer a loan item for auditioning - in UAE?
All you can do is ask but not holding my breath on that one.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 13
All you can do is ask but not holding my breath on that one.
I pm'ed (zach915m) and given contacts for local know dealers/distributors in my area; awaiting a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back