Headphone Recommendation Help please!
May 29, 2019 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kayLF

New Head-Fier
I’m seeking to buy my dad headphones as a birthday gift that will enhance his music listening experience. I’ve already purchased an Earstudio es100 for him as a portable amp. He has diverse taste in music, with the exception of most classical & hip hop and he mostly listens while relaxing at home.

I’m completely new to this but upon doing some searches I’ve come up with the following options and would so deeply appreciate some assistance in making a final decision:
-Sennheiser HD58x
-Beyerdynamic DT 770
-Audio Technica ATH M40x (or 50x)
-Sennheiser HD599

Also open to new suggestions!

Thank you all so much!

May 31, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi Kay,
I am far from an expert, but thought I would add a few thoughts. There are a few basic considerations. One is is sound isolation important? As in, will the listener be in a quiet environment, or noisy? Closed back design isolates outside noise and also keeps most sound from leaking out. Open back do neither but tend to sound better overall. Next, what will be used to drive them? A phone? If so, you will want to keep impedance 50 Ohms or lower I think to get sufficient sound levels. The Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica models you referenced are known as V shaped headphones. Meaning to say that the bass and treble are enhanced. Not really true reproduction of music, but many prefer this sound. I have listened to both of the Sennheiser models, but it has been a while so I cannot really comment on them. All the models you mentioned are very popular. Hope this helps. I am sure others will offer some valuable info as well.
Cheers, Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back