Headphone reccommendation please
Dec 19, 2007 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

biglakerider

New Head-Fier
Hi:

I have caught the bug. I wanted to experience that hi quality sound I remember from my college days back when hi fi was cool and computers, games and home theater didn't exist. So in ignoranceI bought a set of Bose on ear phones and connected them to my ipod and felt completely disappointed.

Since then I have ordered a LD Mark III and am waiting for delivery of a DIY "mod pod" from one of the forum members as a source and will be using Apple Lossless files. My listening will be done in an environment where I do not want to disturb others with sound leakage.

Hence the ? is what phones should I be looking at for an audiophile quality
experience to take advantage of this equipment. Will the Bose On Ear sound at all good?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-fi...sorry about the wallet...

Okay, I have a couple of questions: What are your musical preferences and can you still return the bose?

Please don't take any offense, but you can get much better sounding headphones for around if not only a little more than the bose set.

Oh, and what's your budget?

Nylan

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the response. I cannot return but my kids can use the Bose. Budget is flexible aand I am willing to pay for optimal experience. Music preference is wide and eclectic but presently tends to classical chorale, contemporary vocal with a long love for Bruce Springsteen and Lyle Lovett. My playlist does include the top 100 rock songs of all time per John Sandford's protagonist Lucas Davenport!

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by biglakerider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I am very open to suggestions. Per my original post I need to be able to listen without disturbing others in close proximity and am not keen on ear canal devices.

Here is a small list to look into:

Audio Technica ATH-ES7
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Denon AH-D2000
Stax SR-001
Ultrasone HFI700 (and the hfi700dvd version)
Ultrasone Proline 750
AKG K271s
Sennheiser HD25

There are other non-leaking cans on the market, but this gets you started.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Just a head's up. The A900s are delicious and the most open sounding closed cans I have. They do however leak considerably more than any other closed can I've experienced. I bought my 900s specifically as a closed can for work. The peeps in the pens around me complained about the noise. Alas, I quite love them anyway but if sound leakage is a top consideration you might want to check them out before you buy.

The HD280pro have a great seal and great sound for the buck BTW.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 9
just to throw this one in the ring...
as far as closed headphones, i am a dt770pro/80 fan.
but the a900's are nice too, not as bassy as the beyers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back