headphone recable and no sound!?!?
Aug 24, 2006 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
so I attempted to recable a pair of my sister's headphones that had a loose connection. They're a $50 pair of phillips noise canceling cans that she got. So, she sent them to me... I never listened to them, I just trusted her... I guess that was my mistake.

I desoldered everything and after looking at things decided to not have the noise canceling feature and didn't wire anything up to the microphones.

I braided 4 wires (left, right then independant grounds) and ran them into the left ear cup. I then connected the left pair to the left speaker and the other two to a small pcb which I thought was just a connection point... you can't see too much in this pic, but it'll give you an idea what I'm talking about.

so I used that to pair up to a separate twisted pair that I ran through the headband to the right speaker.

I then terminated them in a neurik mini plug and just put the grounds together.... and no sound whatsoever comes out. what'd I do wrong?

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone
did you make sure you completely bypassed all the noise cancelling circuitry? you can also test for continuity, if you have a meter

I think so. I do have a meter... how do I test for continuity?

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 4
set the meter to ohms (Ω). put one probe to the left (?) earspeaker ground solder point (should be the green one). ideally, this should be connected to the ground part (the base) of the mini phone plug. to test for continuity, put the other probe to the base of the plug. if the meter reads something less than a couple of ohms or so, your left speaker ground is probably connected properly. Test this for all the other connections to figure out what part of the plug connects to which terminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back