Headphone Overkill?
Jun 13, 2005 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Are the Senn models 595 thru to the 650 an overkill for someone who mostly listens from sources such as mostly PCs (MP3), iPod, portable CD, and the occasional portable DVD player?

Since joining this place I'm more confused with the myriad of headphone options.
confused.gif

Yes, I am an ultra newb. Please forgive me.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
Are the Senn models 595 thru to the 650 an overkill for someone who mostly listens from sources such as mostly PCs (MP3), iPod, portable CD, and the occasional portable DVD player?

Since joining this place I'm more confused with the myriad of headphone options.
confused.gif

Yes, I am an ultra newb. Please forgive me.

The 650s have a higfher impedance and really need a good amp, so unless you want to go that route, I would say the 650s are overkill. The 595s work nicely off an ipod or computer, so if you want a solid set of headphones to start out with, the 595s would be a great choice. If you want to spend less, the 555s are very good too.

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for the info!!

To sort of twist my requirements a bit, I'm not even sure if Senns are the answer. I guess more of what I'm looking takes into account the following:

sources in rank of use:
1) PC (MP3s, etc)
2) iPod
3) portable CD/DVD
4) sometimes home audio off a Denon AVR-4802

headphone features:
closed cans for as much isolation as possible
nice soundstage
preferably under the $300-350 range

I have tried the Bose QC2 and absolutely I dig the noise cancellation, however the SQ is something its lacking. Since I work in a noisy computer laden room, blocking out unwanted noise is a must.

Any more advice?

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 26
The Sennheisers will not block the sound, so you would probably be better off with decent canalphones. Not only will they function well with all of your sources without an amp, but they also isolate a lot of sound.

Quote:

Thanks for the info!!

To sort of twist my requirements a bit, I'm not even sure if Senns are the answer. I guess more of what I'm looking takes into account the following:

sources in rank of use:
1) PC (MP3s, etc)
2) iPod
3) portable CD/DVD
4) sometimes home audio off a Denon AVR-4802

headphone features:
closed cans for as much isolation as possible
nice soundstage
preferably under the $300-350 range

I have tried the Bose QC2 and absolutely I dig the noise cancellation, however the SQ is something its lacking. Since I work in a noisy computer laden room, blocking out unwanted noise is a must.

Any more advice?

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282
The Sennheisers will not block the sound, so you would probably be better off with decent canalphones. Not only will they function well with all of your sources without an amp, but they also isolate a lot of sound.

If by canalphones, do you mean those ear bud types?? hmm.. I cant wear them for long.. in my experience they can get uncomfortable quick.

But if I must, what model canalphones would fit the bill in this situation?

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 26
I think that the A900 will work very well for you. It is not very hard to power and super comfy for long periods of time. Isolation should be pretty good because they are closed cans. also this should probably be in the headphones section.

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 26
I'm not a can expert, but I vote for the sony mdr-7506. They're closed, go around the ear, fold up and fit into a little bag, and are reasonably durable. They also sound really good and go for $99. I wear 'em on the bus/train all the time and they're great at isolation and don't look "funny".

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 26
AKG K271 Studio with plans to later get an amp would be the best choice given your criteria. I would drop $25 on a Chaintech AV710 soundcard as well. And since your limit was $350, you could easily get the headphones [~$150], the soundcard, a starter headphone amp [cmoy, govibe, etc] and a decent interconnect.
cool.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 26
Hmm.. Looks like I might have to find a site with a decent return policy. There are too many choices! Ack!

How are the AKGs ampless for my current sources? Should be OK? I'm not too keen on amps, but would welcome suggestions. I really dont want to have to carry an amp with my iPod or portables though. Although I am not sure what a headphone amp looks like haha.

Whats a MINT or PIMETA?

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 26
I didn't mean earbud, but then again, I am not sure if we are using the same set of terms. Headroom has a decent selection of canalphones, though I don't know if they have the best prices:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...n-ear-monitor/

If you find a model you are interested in, just do a search on this board and it will turn up several reviews/opinions.

Quote:

If by canalphones, do you mean those ear bud types?? hmm.. I cant wear them for long.. in my experience they can get uncomfortable quick.

But if I must, what model canalphones would fit the bill in this situation?

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

How are the AKGs ampless for my current sources? Should be OK?

The K271 Studio are driven fairly well by the iPod. What soundcard do you have in your computer? Quote:

Whats a MINT or PIMETA?

A faily inexpensive amp... the CMOY and GOVIBE that I mentioned are two others. I've owned a PIMETA myself and it is quite a good amp for the money.

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 26
Right now I have a SoundBlaster Live, but I have the Chaintech on order. Will there be a big difference from these two cards?

As for the amps, they look pretty small. I thought they were these hulking things you plug into A/C. Wow. I guess they might be worth having. One problem though, it looks like you have to build them yourself? Or am I wrong?

I think I found a site that sells the GoVibe already built, but am not sure about the PIMETA? Which one is better?

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Right now I have a SoundBlaster Live, but I have the Chaintech on order. Will there be a big difference from these two cards?

As for the amps, they look pretty small. I thought they were these hulking things you plug into A/C. Wow. I guess they might be worth having. One problem though, it looks like you have to build them yourself? Or am I wrong?

I think I found a site that sells the GoVibe already built, but am not sure about the PIMETA? Which one is better?

A Pimeta is better, but I believe Norm also makes a pimeta level amp, not just the Go-Vibe. if he doesn't make them anymore, you can ask on the for sale forums, there are alot of pimetas floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back