Headphone Overkill?
post-1426707
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
0
Are the Senn models 595 thru to the 650 an overkill for someone who mostly listens from sources such as mostly PCs (MP3), iPod, portable CD, and the occasional portable DVD player?

Since joining this place I'm more confused with the myriad of headphone options.


Yes, I am an ultra newb. Please forgive me.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1426721
Post #2 of 26

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
2,194
Reaction score
11
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Posts
2,194
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
Are the Senn models 595 thru to the 650 an overkill for someone who mostly listens from sources such as mostly PCs (MP3), iPod, portable CD, and the occasional portable DVD player?

Since joining this place I'm more confused with the myriad of headphone options.


Yes, I am an ultra newb. Please forgive me.



The 650s have a higfher impedance and really need a good amp, so unless you want to go that route, I would say the 650s are overkill. The 595s work nicely off an ipod or computer, so if you want a solid set of headphones to start out with, the 595s would be a great choice. If you want to spend less, the 555s are very good too.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1426760
Post #3 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
0
Thanks for the info!!

To sort of twist my requirements a bit, I'm not even sure if Senns are the answer. I guess more of what I'm looking takes into account the following:

sources in rank of use:
1) PC (MP3s, etc)
2) iPod
3) portable CD/DVD
4) sometimes home audio off a Denon AVR-4802

headphone features:
closed cans for as much isolation as possible
nice soundstage
preferably under the $300-350 range

I have tried the Bose QC2 and absolutely I dig the noise cancellation, however the SQ is something its lacking. Since I work in a noisy computer laden room, blocking out unwanted noise is a must.

Any more advice?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427204
Post #4 of 26

ya8282

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Posts
169
Likes
0
The Sennheisers will not block the sound, so you would probably be better off with decent canalphones. Not only will they function well with all of your sources without an amp, but they also isolate a lot of sound.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
Thanks for the info!!

To sort of twist my requirements a bit, I'm not even sure if Senns are the answer. I guess more of what I'm looking takes into account the following:

sources in rank of use:
1) PC (MP3s, etc)
2) iPod
3) portable CD/DVD
4) sometimes home audio off a Denon AVR-4802

headphone features:
closed cans for as much isolation as possible
nice soundstage
preferably under the $300-350 range

I have tried the Bose QC2 and absolutely I dig the noise cancellation, however the SQ is something its lacking. Since I work in a noisy computer laden room, blocking out unwanted noise is a must.

Any more advice?



 
     Share This Post       
post-1427271
Post #5 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282
The Sennheisers will not block the sound, so you would probably be better off with decent canalphones. Not only will they function well with all of your sources without an amp, but they also isolate a lot of sound.


If by canalphones, do you mean those ear bud types?? hmm.. I cant wear them for long.. in my experience they can get uncomfortable quick.

But if I must, what model canalphones would fit the bill in this situation?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427305
Post #6 of 26

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
672
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Posts
672
Likes
10
I think that the A900 will work very well for you. It is not very hard to power and super comfy for long periods of time. Isolation should be pretty good because they are closed cans. also this should probably be in the headphones section.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427402
Post #7 of 26

dwc

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
230
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 13, 2005
Posts
230
Likes
11
I'm not a can expert, but I vote for the sony mdr-7506. They're closed, go around the ear, fold up and fit into a little bag, and are reasonably durable. They also sound really good and go for $99. I wear 'em on the bus/train all the time and they're great at isolation and don't look "funny".
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427436
Post #9 of 26

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
16
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
AKG K271 Studio with plans to later get an amp would be the best choice given your criteria. I would drop $25 on a Chaintech AV710 soundcard as well. And since your limit was $350, you could easily get the headphones [~$150], the soundcard, a starter headphone amp [cmoy, govibe, etc] and a decent interconnect.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427519
Post #10 of 26

JWFokker

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
508
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Posts
508
Likes
10
Why not buy a MINT or PIMETA from someone and stick with the high end Senns rather than buying something completely different?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427545
Post #11 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
0
Hmm.. Looks like I might have to find a site with a decent return policy. There are too many choices! Ack!

How are the AKGs ampless for my current sources? Should be OK? I'm not too keen on amps, but would welcome suggestions. I really dont want to have to carry an amp with my iPod or portables though. Although I am not sure what a headphone amp looks like haha.

Whats a MINT or PIMETA?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1427996
Post #12 of 26

ya8282

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Posts
169
Likes
0
I didn't mean earbud, but then again, I am not sure if we are using the same set of terms. Headroom has a decent selection of canalphones, though I don't know if they have the best prices:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...n-ear-monitor/

If you find a model you are interested in, just do a search on this board and it will turn up several reviews/opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
If by canalphones, do you mean those ear bud types?? hmm.. I cant wear them for long.. in my experience they can get uncomfortable quick.

But if I must, what model canalphones would fit the bill in this situation?



 
     Share This Post       
post-1428010
Post #13 of 26

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
16
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
How are the AKGs ampless for my current sources? Should be OK?


The K271 Studio are driven fairly well by the iPod. What soundcard do you have in your computer? Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
Whats a MINT or PIMETA?


A faily inexpensive amp... the CMOY and GOVIBE that I mentioned are two others. I've owned a PIMETA myself and it is quite a good amp for the money.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1428250
Post #14 of 26

ramstryke

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
0
Right now I have a SoundBlaster Live, but I have the Chaintech on order. Will there be a big difference from these two cards?

As for the amps, they look pretty small. I thought they were these hulking things you plug into A/C. Wow. I guess they might be worth having. One problem though, it looks like you have to build them yourself? Or am I wrong?

I think I found a site that sells the GoVibe already built, but am not sure about the PIMETA? Which one is better?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1428255
Post #15 of 26

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
21,331
Reaction score
26
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,331
Likes
26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
Right now I have a SoundBlaster Live, but I have the Chaintech on order. Will there be a big difference from these two cards?

As for the amps, they look pretty small. I thought they were these hulking things you plug into A/C. Wow. I guess they might be worth having. One problem though, it looks like you have to build them yourself? Or am I wrong?

I think I found a site that sells the GoVibe already built, but am not sure about the PIMETA? Which one is better?



A Pimeta is better, but I believe Norm also makes a pimeta level amp, not just the Go-Vibe. if he doesn't make them anymore, you can ask on the for sale forums, there are alot of pimetas floating around.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top