Headphone output from Tubed CDPs?
Nov 26, 2002 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

merc

100+ Head-Fier
I am still headphone ampless and have been using my HD-600s directly from the headphone output of my Sony scd-c555es player. Recently, I decided to look into a tubed CD player for redbook CD playback.

Some of the units I am considering include the AH Tjoeb 2000(with upsampler), Jolida JD100, and the Heart 6000 OSELE. I noticed that all these units have a headphone output.

Has anyone used these units via their headphone outputs? Do the headphone outputs utilize the tubes in these CDPs?

Anyone have another $1K tubed CDP with Headphone output that they can recommend?

OR... should I forget about a tubed CDP and just get the dang Cary SLP-88 preamp with headphone output?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Do the headphone outputs utilize the tubes in these CDPs?

The Heart CD6000 doesn't have a headphone output. The tube stage is routed through the headphone jack on the Tjoeb and Jolida, but the volume control on the Ah! is digital, and you will lose 1-bit of resolution for each 6db of attenuation. The Jolida has MOSFET output for its headphone amp, and the volume pot is in the analogue domain.

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Merc:

Just my 2 cents...I have the Ah Tjoeb 2000 (w/o the new upsampler). The headphone output is using the tube output stage. Sounds pretty good, but I am sure not as good as a dedicated amp.

---------------------------
Kevin
Ah Tjoeb 2000 > AKG240

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 12
SumB: Thank you very much for your help!

It sounds as though the Jolida might be the ticket for me then? Has anyone used the Jolida's headphone output with Senn HD600s?

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Kevin: thanks for the info on the Tjoeb. Actually, I am looking for a cheaper and easier way to get back to the sound I used to have(MG Head OTL) while also getting the tube sound on my speakers...

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 12
It would seem to me that any of these players would be a step down in sound quality when compared to the Sony 555 that you currently have. It would seem more logical to spend the same amount of money for a better headphone amp and some really good tubes!!! For about $895 you could get a MicroZOTL, then replace the tubes with some really good ones for a mere $50 of so, and have a much, muhc better sound.

Hirsch did a rather in-depth review of various tubes for the ZOTL, click HERE to read all about it!! Just make sure you don't just skip to the end and read his final comments as he tried various tubes throughout the thread, and might suggest something more along the lines of what you are looking for in sounds!!

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 12
doug: Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a solution which gives me good CD playback for my primary system, and, also provides good headphone output. I am looking at tubed preamps as well as tubed CDPs.

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by merc
doug: Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a solution which gives me good CD playback for my primary system, and, also provides good headphone output. I am looking at tubed preamps as well as tubed CDPs.

Are you looking at doing this in two different rooms? Or does the 555 only have one output??

I ask as it would seem that one good CDP like this should work for both the primary and secondary systems, unless they are located in different rooms.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 12
doug: the 555es has both 5.1 and 2 channel outputs. Currently, I am feeding the 5.1 output to a Sony P9K preamp and the 2 channel output to a Parasound PLD-2000 preamp. SACD playback on the 555es sounds very nice, as do many stereo redbook CDs... however, some of my older CDs sound harsh, and almost distorted in the upper mid to treble area. When using the 555es into an MG Head OTL amp, these harsh CDs sounded much better... due to the tubes?

I now want to get the benefit of the tube sound in my non-headphone system(through my speakers) while having a nice onboard headphone output/amp. The best sounding example of this I've heard so far was from the Cary SLP-88. However, I am exploring the possibility of getting a tubed CDP with onboard headphone amp, if this unit could do what I want, at a sub $1K cost, versus the $2K Cary.

Hope this explanation makes sense...

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 12
thanks, your last reply helped clear things up a bit. I guess that's one thing to look at when buying an SACD player.

If you were using a low impedance set of cans I would highly recommend a Melos preamp as it comes with a really, really good headphone output and an awesome preamp to boot!! But, as MarkL stated, it works best with lower imperdance cans. You should be able to find some variant of the Melos for anywhere between $800 and $1500, dependent upon the mods is has had and its level. Mine is a Gold Reference, but others have Maestro level stuff which is a bit more expensive. They make Gold, Gold Reference, Maestro, and some lower line stuff from the SHA-1 line. Check Audiogon for one of these variants and look here for info on it and its performance and cost!!

This Melos preamp is quite good, and with it you might even decide to sell the Parasound to offset the cost......

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I've owned the Jolida JD-100 for about 4 months. It's hooked up (both analog and digital) to an Outlaw 950 pre/pro thats driving a 5 channel Parasound amp. For cd playback, the analog bypass mode is clearly superior to any of the Outlaw's processing modes. Sound is fuller, tighter bass, crystal clear highs, better all around.

As stated, the Jolida tubed output stage is routed through the headphone jack and it is powered by a mosfet amp. I've used the headphone amp to drive my ety er-4s and have been quite satisfied with the sound. The etys do sound better through a dedicated amp but I'm more than just ok with the sound straight out of the cd player.

One thing I like about the Jolida is that good quality cds sound glorious but even poorly recorded ones can be listened to and enjoyed. The tubed output stage drives two sets of rca jacks so you can hook it up to a second pre or head amp easily. It's built like a tank, I don't think there is any plastic to be found on the unit. The remote is machined out of a solid block of aluminum and the buttons are stainless steel ball bearings.

I like this cd player a lot. When I bought I seriously compared it with the Rega Planet 2000 and one of the high end Rotels, 933 I think it was. I though the Jolida bested the other two. If you're interested, check Audiogon for some of underwoodwally's sales. He carries the Jolida line and gave me a really nice price.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi mojo. I think I've decided to get the Jolida and yes, I have already spoken to Walter about this unit. He is a very nice guy and has educated me on a number of different topics. Of course, he also carries a bunch of nice lines and gives you great prices too!

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back