Headphone Noob - What Will Fit My Needs?
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tlarwa

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so thanks in advance for the help!

I'm looking for a decent set of cans for night-time listening. The source will be my trusty Thorens turntable (running through a Cambridge 640P phono pre), and the music will be classic rock, prog rock, prog jazz and jazz. Amplification is a Denon AVR-4306 receiver. I do not have a dedicated headphone amp (at least not yet!). My budget is around $100 or so, and I have ZERO problems buying on the used market. In fact, I'd prefer it, as pretty much all my equipment is pre-owned and I have definitely gotten my money's worth!

I've been looking through the for sale forum, but there are so many choices I don't know where to start! Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Tom

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 10
How about lower Grados?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I'll keep an eye out for the AKGs. My budget's not set in stone, I just don't want to spend a ton until I know that I'lluse them and that I'm getting something I'm happy with. Thanks for the advice!

Tom

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 10
You can't possibly know this until after you've already spent the money and have used the headphones at home. You increase the chance of failure by not using the headphones before buying. And, you're already being talked into spending more money than your original budget on headphones you won't be listening to before buying. Welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlarwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll keep an eye out for the AKGs. My budget's not set in stone, I just don't want to spend a ton until I know that I'lluse them and that I'm getting something I'm happy with. Thanks for the advice!

Tom

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 10
For a budget of $100, the only recommendation I'd make is the Alessandro MS-1. It was my entry into the "audiophile" market and if I didn't loan them out (they broke in a friend's possession..) I'd still be in love with them. Very eargasmic for the money!

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 10
x2 on the MS-1i. My preference is with bowls, which will cost another $20 -- to me, the stock pads muddy the bass. Also, with the bowls, my MS-100 mod will produce a more natural sound with an expansion of the soundstage, which the Grado/Aless models need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back