Headphone noob looking for headphones
Nov 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

corycc

New Head-Fier
I'm brand new to the headphone world, and I want something with better quality than my two year old skullcandys. I'm looking for headphones that look fairly good (able to wear out in public) for around $100 - $150

I mainly listen to rock/rap/house

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Check out the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro. They are $143 new on B&H (I'd get them used on Amazon for cheaper). They have good sound isolation for public use, can be driven by a portable device, are sexy, and will blow your ass out of the water compared to the Skullcandies. Check out Ultrasone in general. I am currently using the Pro 900 and love them (although a little out of your price range). The Pro 750 or HFI 780 are closer to your price range and are also good choices. I stopped using my Skullcandy G.I.s several months ago... Couldn't have been happier becoming an audiophile! Happy hunting!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 7
Howdy - I don't own any ultrasones but I have demo'd a few pairs - I like them, but I would highly recommend trying them first, if you have the opportunity. S-Logic isn't for everyone.

Many people recommend the Audio Technica ATH m50 has a good pair of starter audiophile headphones. They come in a little under your price point at B and H (a great and very reliable retailer) for around $117. There are lots of versions of this headphone (coiled cable vs. straight, white anniversary edition, etc) but they all sound the same so if you don't care about looks go for the cheapest!

You could also consider Grads - specifically the sr60i($69 i think) or the sr80i ($99). Grados don't have the most conventional looks but they are nice headphones and there are lots of easy mods you can do. I recently got my brother, for his birthday, a new set of earpads and a replacement headband for his sr80.

The Audio Technica ATH AD700 comes in at $100 from amazon although it is an open headphone and might not be well suited to wearing it out and about. 

A kind of cool option (if you are patient since shipping takes a few weeks) is to get a pair of JVC HA S500. They use a driver that is made from carbon nanotubes. I have personally ordered this headphone (you can only get it from retailers directly from japan - so check amazon.com and ebay) and am expecting delivery next week. With the shipping it comes in around $72ish and supposedly they sound great and compete well with more expensive choices.

Anyways, search around the forum - many people have asked this question before and I am sure you would find more suggestions and ideas. 

and finally - "welcome to head-fi.com Sorry about your wallet!"

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 7
You can find AudioTechnica m50S for around $82 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004ZG9TMA/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

I highly recommend these headphones. They are very precise headphones but their base extends very far and its boomy, if you are into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back