Headphone newbie seeks recommendations
Nov 10, 2002 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Foehammer

New Head-Fier
Greetings gentlemen,

After dealing with poor headphones for many many years to listen to music, I got sick of it and decided I needed a hi-fi set of headphones for use with music and computer gaming. I mananged to find this site through google at it seems like here is where I can get some help. I know absolutely nothing about hi-fi terms like 'soundstage' or this that or the other thing, though I'd like to learn.

Here's what I listen to; metal, metal, and more metal! I think personally that metal requires a headphone that would a)provide plenty of bass kick for double-bass drumming b) enough depth to where you can actually hear a bass player (which are usually turned down in metal recordings...why I dont know) c) great treble for lead guitar work, vocals, and melody/harmony (yes, that does exist in metal!). I also listen to classical, some Beatles, and Dave Matthews.

For games, I usually play strategy, shooters, or RPG's.

I have heard great things about Sennheiser headphones, like the 500, 570,580,590, and 600 models, and they seem like a good way to get started in the hi-fi world. Which headphone would you recommend for me?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 9
How much are you willing to spend?
Are you gonna purchase an amp too? If so,
then I'm recommending you the beyer Dt770pro with Creek Obh-11.They hould cost you around $360. Really nice bass. The beyer will keep you rocking in your chair and they have very realistic sounding drum kicks . I will look no further in other headphone. Also, the vocal is sweet with the beyer. Very musical and pleasant.

The Sennheiser is excellent headphone too. However for the money, the beyer will satisfy you more. Probably because it is designed with bass freak in mind
biggrin.gif
wherease the senn is more for pop/classical where it isn't that heavy.

For gaming it will give you very good positioning too. Esp first person shooter.

Welcome to head-fi.
Sorry about your wallte (standard greeting here.. I'm starting to love it
biggrin.gif
)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Foehammer
I have heard great things about Sennheiser headphones, like the 500, 570,580,590, and 600 models, and they seem like a good way to get started in the hi-fi world.

Well, the 500 isn't at all highly regarded here at Head-Fi. And the 570 has gotten very mixed reviews here. The 590 is good, but we still don't regard it as highly as either the 580 or 600 in general - though some Head-Fiers had rated the 590 higher than either the 580 or the 600.

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 9
I've heard about preamps and amps before (like I said, I'm a COMPLETE newb) but only in the guitar audio world. Your amp is the thing that a) processes the signal and B) has a speaker thingy to make the actual sound. As for a preamp, I'm not even sure what those do with guitars...you can use them to add effects or equalization, but thats all I know.

What do these things do in the hi-fi world? Is it possible to get a portable preamp for for walkman-esque use, or is there no such thing? I will mainly use the phones for portable music and my computer (I will watch DVD on the computer) so would an amp/preamp be useful there? Wouldn't my sound card (Creative Audigy) already act as an amp?

pardon my questions, but I dont know anything!!

Would you all happen to know of a site that has a "hifi for newbs and dummies" type FAQ?

Thanks again

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 9
If you buy those headphones which I think all have very high impedance (my HD600's are still very very shiny and unsullied in their box, must get around to using them sometime
biggrin.gif
) you will ideally need a headphone amplifier because generally soundcard outputs and domestic hi-fi equipment won't have enough power to allow you to use the phones to their full potential.
Look in the amps section and you'll get an idea of what is needed.
Being very biased, I would push an Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (you can order from audiocubes.com) in your direction because it works from practically anything and has this amazing open sound (which can admittedly sound a bit cold sometimes) from closed, very comfortable, headphones at a very cheap price (sub $200).
If you plan to buy a good headphone amplifier to start with, the Sennheiser HD600 is probably a good buy.

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Usually, sources for headphones are not very good. Often, they cannot do not have enough power for headphones (especially the high-impedance variety). An amp helps overcome this by supplying additional power to the headphones.

Yes, there are people here who build amps that can be portable. They fit into those altoid or penguin mint tins and work quite well. There are other members who can tell you how to find one.

I agree that the beyerdynamic dt770s would work well for you. But those need an amp to sound their best because they are high-impedance (250 ohms). If you want to go a little cheaper, you can find the Sony V6 (NOT V600) for about $60-$80 and they don't require an amp. If you're willing to spend more, you can consider the beyerdynamic dt250-80. They don't require an amp either, but they cost about $170.

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 9
sorry for not replying in so long, have been quite busy.

As for a price range? I suppose I dont wanna spend more than 200 or so on headphones unless the quality is truly amazing. As for this whole headphone amp stuff, I'm not sure. i dont know if it would be possible but I'd like to go try out a bunch of gear at a local audio store and see what suits what I listen to best.

How much could I get senn 600' s for on a good day?

would anyone else recommend the beyers? I've never heard of them.

thanks again

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 9
You can get HD600 for around $219 on www.audiogon.com shipped. HD600 sounds really good with amp. However, never never buy HD600 without amp, since it will only sounds like $70 headphone without amp. Maybe you can think around Sony V6 or MDR-7506, they are cheap and sound good without amp in the price range $60-80.

Welcome to become Head-Fier, but sorry about your wallet.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back