Headphone music!
Jul 11, 2008 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
What are some artists that make music aimed at the headphone listener?

I'm talking about an immersive, almost-360' experience of music.

The type of music I'm talking about has had excellent production work that allows it to make exceptional use of the 2 channels and the soundstage in between/outside.

For example: SHPONGLE.

Psy-trance is also a good example.

Any others?

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 17
Two that immediately spring to mind are Made in the Dark by Hot Chip and Mu by Jah Wobble.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Ottmar Liebert's The Fritz Files. Neo-flamenco session recorded live with a dummy head.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 17
i would say anything mastered before 1990s, or maybe even some after shouldn't really have been designed for headphones. so unless it is remastered, or it just simply works, the chances of any older stuff being suited is slim.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the discs from Zenph (Zenph Studios home page re-performance MIDI Sony Gould Tatum). They only have the Gould and Tatum discs out right now, but both have duplicate binaural tracks just for us headphone listeners. I have both and love them to pieces.

I was just reading about these disks the other day and they appear to be hybrid SACDs. Are the binaural tracks SACD only? If so, how do the redbook tracks sound?

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 17
hmm,
ModdySteve,
I went to your profile randomly and found that we have the same birthday
cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 17
when most people think of headphone music they immediately think hi-fidelity music. i beg to differ.

my single greatest headphone album:

the microphones - the glow pt. 2

also:
slint - spiderland (post rock masterpiece, sounds amazing on cans)
john frusciante - niandra lades (you can hear his lips rubbing)
slowdive - souvlaki (dream pop classic - ethereal to say the least)
M83 - any of his albums really (for the headphone dreamers)
Bibio - FI (lo-fi guitars have never sounded so nostalgic)
Galaxie 500 - Today (there is no such thing as too much reverb)

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 17
I purchased Pearl Jam's "Binaural" simply for the sake of some cool headphones listening. The songs that were supposedly recorded binaurally are interesting to hear, but I do not know if I would prefer the sound if all music was recorded that way. Maybe it would just take some time to get used to, and then slowly I would realize that its supreme over the old way.
The binaural tracks in "Binaural" sound very warm (I think that is the word for it). I have yet to listen to the whole album because it is kind of jarring. But I only bought the CD a couple days ago so give me a break.
Anyone else with this CD have any impressions?

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else with this CD have any impressions?

It's been ages since I've listened to it, but I recall it being my favourite Pearl Jam release when I was a fan of that sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back