Headphone Meet in Pittsburgh, PA - October 22nd 2022
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #106 of 155
It's fortunate that I also brought along my SRM-D10, because it allowed a few people to listen to the electrostats for a bit more after the 006t failed. On the bright side, this means I can dive into the world of tube rolling and acquire a few NOS tubes to swap them out with. There's always something new to learn, and while I studied some electrical engineering in college, I'm young enough that my education didn't include anything about tube electronics.

Bummer that a tube failed at a meet. Especially since the other electrostatic amp was DOA. Bummer.

TubeDepot has 6CG7 RCA clear top (USA made) in stock for $70 each, the cheaper Brazil made ones are out of stock.
UpscaleAudio had Mazda 6CG7 tubes two years ago. Now no more.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #107 of 155
So, what were your highlights? I'll start with mine.
I was also impressed with how many people came to a first time event! I live south of Pittsburgh (South Park), but I hope some of us get to know eachother a bit over time :)

I missed out on the peanut butter M&M’s, but I agree they’re good… have you ever tried a bowl of Brownie & Mint M&Ms mixed together? Yummaaaay! 😂

I was the caboose who arrived last, so unfortunately I didn’t get to try everything. Those gorgeous ZMFs and I were yet again a missed connection! I should have tried the Bartok, and an acquaintance from Australia has raves about the simple pairing of the Mojo 2 with an HD 800 but I missed that chance too, lastly I feel a bit bad because someone asked to try the Apos Caspian and I did bring it, but I didn’t take it out of the case and leave it sitting out on the table😅 But enough of regrets! Seems like there is a good chance for “next time!”

I enjoyed playing around with Roon on other people’s devices… especially the two people that loaned me their phones for a few minutes, you guys were super generous (and I wanted to treat your phones with utmost care, and not hold them too long!). It was cool to finally see the app in action, the remote casting feature to the different listening stations seems ideal for meets and store demos.

The DSC Luna was indeed really good. It does take up a fair amount of desk space, but I felt like the different cubes had a handsome symmetry… go ahead and laugh, but the luxury of how much space it used seemed fitting for the price, haha! I wish I had more “home time” familiarity with the Utopia to really “grok” its character before hearing its performance on the Luna, and the chance to compare it to the new 2022 version, but the whole setup definitely had that “summit-fi” sound and I was happy for the one song I heard.

Speaking about the luxury of space, Stereo Stereo was a fantastic location. Mike was nice but humble, and he had arranged the whole store to look like a chic magazine photo from every angle. I wish I had buckets of money, because I feel like I just discovered another gem of Pittsburgh 💎

Right before the DSC setup, I tried the iFi Go Blu with my HD 660S, balanced. Sure, there were some compromises due to wireless, the lower price, compact size (and gosh, I wish the Go Blu had a clip-on pocket clip so the buttons would be easily at hand!), but the music and convenience still satisfied and made me happy. Maybe more than the gear, I appreciated the iFi rep Miles coming all the way from the UK for this meet, and sharing some of his favorite demo tracks with me… I monopolized a bit of his time at the end of the scheduled time, but it was fun to exchange songs and hear his thought process behind why he chose them (I think I tried too hard to find something new for him, haha).

I also want to thank @SolarCetacean for sharing his gear and his time with me. Not only did he save the day with electrostat amps, and brought some unique gear, but he also selflessly gave his time to me/us so that I could listen to a track and be reminded of the clean treble you can only get on estats, while also letting me use his phone to control Roon so I wouldn’t lose time setting up and learning Roon on my own iPhone. Quite a generous guy, and me saying “thanks!” doesn’t seem enough. 🙇‍♂️

Speaking of generous, another person let me use their phone near the DIY built Bottlehead, and interacted with me at a few other stations too. Thank you too! I’m so sorry I forgot your name, but I really enjoyed just talking with you, and I wish I had arrived earlier so we could have chatted more.

I think I’ll finish by repeating my wish that I feel like I would be happy spending more time engaging with the group. I had more extended interactions with about 5 of you, and it was joyfully easy to break the ice, but in general I felt like everyone was very generous and easy to talk to, and I enjoyed the time spent!

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #108 of 155
I enjoyed hearing the HEDDphone on the 2A3 Elekit amplifier and the modded HD800 on the very nicely built Bottlehead Mainline.

Listening to the original Grado SR325 "goldies" on the CD rig was pretty cool too, I don't own any CDs anymore but it took me back :)

The dCS Lina stack was also an impressive listen, very detailed, airy, and clean sound. I listened with the Utopia 2022 and the ZMF Atrium. The Atrium is more my flavor but I can see what people like so much about the Utopia.

I had a good time talking DIY with several people and talking with Mike about those Shunyata cables, maybe I'll give them a test run some day!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #109 of 155
I know I am a little late with this post..It ended up being a really busy weekend....I had an awesome time on Saturday....One of the best things that came out of it for me (besides the gear) was the people..Great conversations,knowledge and advice in this hobby..

@bevanc you did a great job setting the meet up..it seemed to go off with out a hitch..I can only imagine the hours that you put into setting the entire meet up..I am also glad I got to sit down with you an listen to the Jot2 and Bifrost...The Bifrost is definitely in the upgrade path for me...

@L0rdGwyn I absolutely loved the Atrias with your diy dac and tube amp...Speaking of you dac and tube amp..The build quality and craftsmanship it top notch..I also saw one of your other amps that was in the ZMF tube amp video...People really need to hear your amps...Amazing sound

I could of sat in the room with the dCS Lina stack and listened for days...Each song I listened to got better and better...Really clean detailed sound...I really liked the sound of the Utopia 2022...To my ears it sounded like they tamed the treble just a tad on the 2022 version.

I can see my end game being the Atrium's with a quality tube amp...I would be happy with that for a long time.

I really enjoyed the meet and I am glad that I went...10/10 would go again

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #110 of 155
Highlights and impressions from the meet for me:

This always sounds cheesy, but the people I met there was the big highlight. I have never been to a headphone meet before, and while I've visited Stereo Stereo a few times before, it wasn't with other people. My headphone journey has mostly involved online interactions, so being able to chat and demo things in person and share impressions on the spot was an amazing experience.

The highlight headphone was the Audeze CRBN. Having 2 high-end non-Stax electrostatics together for a demo was a delight. I think the CRBN and the Shangri-La Jr are the electrostatic embodiments of Audeze's and Hifiman's respective house sounds. The CRBN is very much an electrostatic Audeze, with the new Audeze sound that debut in the LCD-5 that is. It's a bassy electrostat. Its punch is similar to that of the other Audeze's I've tried. Sort of similar in quality to the MM-500 I think. You definitely notice the weight of each bass note, and I think it's a relatively unique trait among electrostatics. Vocals on the CRBN are very upfront and emphasized, which gives vocal performance a more intimate feel. I think the CRBN can get a little bit shouty at times, with vocals sometimes being undesirably strident, a trait that is shared with the MM500. It's not nearly as tonally off as the Stax SR-L700mk2 though, just a bit aggressive or strident. I think the treble is where the CRBN doesn't do as well as some other electrostats I've tried. It's not as mellow as the LCD-X's treble, but the X had smooth treble, while the CRBN has a bit of graininess to its treble presentation.

CRBN vs. Shangri-La Jr is the matchup I've been looking forward to testing, and I think they're a good contrast. The CRBN wins in bass quantity and punch. The Jr has a lot of texture and detail in the bass (and it's something that I think the added punch of the CRBN can detract from), but it lacks the quantity and weight that the CRBN has. I described to a friend that the Jr's bass slaps, while the CRBN's bass punches. The Jr's bass is sharp, snappy, and incisive, like a quick slap, but it lacks the weight of the CRBN's bass punch. The Jr has a somewhat withdrawn midrange (rare on electrostats but common on Hifimans) compared to the forward midrange on the CRBN, so it has a larger soundstage and voices don't get shouty as they do on the CRBN, but are thinner and somewhat "breathy", like singers are tightening their vocal cords more than usual when singing. The Jr's treble is bright, well-extended, and very smooth. To my ear, it lacks the graininess that could sometimes be heard on the CRBN. The Jr still reigns supreme when it comes to treble for me; I have not found another headphone that produces better treble than the Shangri-La Jr.

I caught some conversation about the CRBN and Jr when others were demoing them, and it seemed like some people (likely the majority) preferred the CRBN while others preferred the Jr. I agree with the common opinion that the CRBN is like a planar-like electrostatic, and an Audeze-planar-like electrostatic at that. The Jr is an electrostatic Hifiman, and I think it does the treble better than the other Hifimans I've tried. There's a place and an audience for both headphones, and that's great.

Ok, now on to other headphones:

HEDD Audio HEDDphone: This was an interesting experience, and overall my impression was that it shared some traits with the CRBN. It had very punch bass and what seemed like an emphasized midrange. I heard it off of the Ferrum Oor rather than the other amp that it was originally connected to. It's a very chonky headphone.

Audeze MM500: I was kind of disappointed in this one. I think the LCD-X 2021 is better. The clamp force is significantly higher on the MM and the ear cup opening is smaller, so the comfort suffers. The midrange also has that stridency that appeared on the CRBN.

Fostex TH-900mk2 Sapphire Blue with non-stock pads: Thanks to @XGeneX88 for providing this one. It's very light and comfortable, the blue earcups are striking, and it does vocals very well. It reminds me of the vocals on an Audio Technica A-series closed-back headphone, and I mean that as high praise, as the vocals are forward (but not shouty/strident) and lifelike. The problem was the bass. It's bassy, but the bass emphasis was in the wrong place. It made the impact of deep bass notes softer than I expected. In one of my reference tracks, the main bass notes should have a texture a bit like driving over railroad tracks - "bum-bum" - but the TH-900 Sapphire made it feel like driving over a long speed hump - "bomm-bomm". The bass was prominent, but lacking in immediacy and impact, at least in that song.

Sennheiser HD820: Thanks to @Evshrug for bringing this along. Unfortunately, my opinion of this headphone has gone down with this longer demo. When I demoed it earlier this year, I thought it sounded a thin, but overall fine. With this longer session, I found a few more places where I thought the HD820 was lacking. It started to sound more hollow than thin, and hollow is not good in my book. The treble was also more obviously uneven, and in one song where there's an upper treble synth fuzz, what should sound like pink noise sounded more like rain hitting a metal roof on the HD820. The bass was fine though, and enjoyable. The soundstage was also very wide, especially for a closed back. It sounds wider than many open backs. It's lightweight and comfortable. It still sounds fine overall, but definitely on the lower end of the "fine" range. I think some of the sound issues I had this time may be due to source pairings. I listened to it on the Singxer SA-1, while my previous demo was on an iFi Zen amp. iFi stuff tends to be warmer I think, and it may be a better synergy with the HD820. I should have listened to it on the iDSD, but didn't get around to it.

Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro: Ssssizzling. There's too much treble and in the wrong places for my ears. I like elevated treble in general, but the treble peaks here were like a barber's electric razor being held against my ear. Or like that mosquito ringtone that was popular when I was in grade school.

Not a headphone, but a special mention to the Singxer SA-1: while I don't think it paired well with the HD820, I thought it worked very well with my Aeon 2 Closed/Noire (it's the Closed with perforated pads to make it sound like the Noire). I've never heard the Aeon 2 be as punchy in the bass as it was off of the SA-1. I think the Aeons must benefit from Class A amplification, possibly due to their high current demands.

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #111 of 155
So, ready for some photos? My wife took some photos of the meet, and, unlike the rest of us, she took photos of things that were not headphones or gear, but sometimes people actually using them! Get ready to cringe as you see how you look with giant headphones on!

bevan.audio30.jpg

Attachments

• bevan.audio4.jpg
    bevan.audio4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio7.jpg
    bevan.audio7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio27.jpg
    bevan.audio27.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio6.jpg
    bevan.audio6.jpg
  • bevan.audio16.jpg
    bevan.audio16.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio20.jpg
    bevan.audio20.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio10.jpg
    bevan.audio10.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio11.jpg
    bevan.audio11.jpg
  • bevan.audio31.jpg
    bevan.audio31.jpg
  • bevan.audio26.jpg
    bevan.audio26.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio25.jpg
    bevan.audio25.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio33.jpg
    bevan.audio33.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio18.jpg
    bevan.audio18.jpg
  • bevan.audio32.jpg
    bevan.audio32.jpg
  • bevan.audio17.jpg
    bevan.audio17.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio5.jpg
    bevan.audio5.jpg
  • bevan.audio9.jpg
    bevan.audio9.jpg
  • bevan.audio15.jpg
    bevan.audio15.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio3.jpg
    bevan.audio3.jpg
  • bevan.audio24.jpg
    bevan.audio24.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio14.jpg
    bevan.audio14.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio28.jpg
    bevan.audio28.jpg
  • bevan.audio12.jpg
    bevan.audio12.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio29.jpg
    bevan.audio29.jpg
Oct 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #112 of 155
And the last 2.

Attachments

• bevan.audio19.jpg
    bevan.audio19.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bevan.audio8.jpg
    bevan.audio8.jpg
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #113 of 155
So, further to @Evshrug's suggestion, what are people's thoughts on getting together more informally and having a Western PA/Eastern OH, club that meets say once a quarter? I know Sam was interested. Could maybe flip flop between Pittsburgh and Cleveland or Akron.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #115 of 155
So, further to @Evshrug's suggestion, what are people's thoughts on getting together more informally and having a Western PA/Eastern OH, club that meets say once a quarter? I know Sam was interested. Could maybe flip flop between Pittsburgh and Cleveland or Akron.
That would be cool. I had a good time at this one and there aren’t enough meets around the area.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #116 of 155

I'd be down for that!

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #118 of 155
I’m 100% in and can bring some good gear to share. I also live near Stow in Ohio (near Akron) and the local Audio Technica HQ location has offered to allow/host meets in the past. I could reach out to them and see if they’d be willing to host or let us use their space for a future get together. I think they would also supply us with a ton of audio technical headphones & gear to try.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #120 of 155
I'm always down for meets in Ohio, assuming I catch wind of them (Thanks @lord_tris), but before I forget again, let me throw down some event impressions.

Was a wonderful time. Got to see some old friends and make some new ones. Always a highlight of any Head-Fi gathering. The store was a genuine treat as well. Mike and his team were great and next time I'm in Pittsburgh I'll definitely swing by again (those Wharfedale and KEF speakers kept catching my eye). Unrelated bonus was the car meet outside, which gave me something delightful to do while I finished my coffee outdoors before coming in.

I will remark, this may be the first time I leave one of these and don't feel like my gear is horribly outclassed. There is definitely better stuff out there, but I am pretty happy with where I am. Definitely more places to go, so wallet beware.

I'm happy I gave multiple curious souls a chance to listen to the Wells Audio Milo. I know it isn't the most common bit of kit, but I like it a lot and folks seemed to enjoy it as well. Similarly, I'm glad I gave several people a positive impression of the HE-6se. It's such a great headphone, but it's so easy to get a bad first impression of it like I did. Getting to share gear is very much a highlight of these for me, so I'm glad I finally had some unique stuff for folks to try.

Now onto the meaty stuff.

Hiifman HE-1000: This is one I definitely wanted to listen to and see how it compared to the HE-6. The answer is: very well. I can see why a lot of people like these. Detail is comparable, soundstaging is bigger, and I didn't get to listen more due to the network being a gridlock, but I suspect bass slam would have been a shortcoming of them compared to their older sibling. Sigh of relief as I don't feel the upgrade bug for these. Hifiman definitely doing great work out here, though.

Focal Utopia: I tried really hard to like these. They check all the boxes for things I like. They just...didn't have "the thing" that makes me involuntarily nod my head or tap my foot. Someday I'll figure out what it is, but in the meantime, I get to save a few thousand bones.

Focal Stellia: Now THESE...these I really liked. I brought my own Focal Radiances to the meet and got to do a bit of A/B. The Stellias are definitely not as dark as the Radiances, but to my ears the extra treble gives percussion that bit of pop I really like and the detailing and separation was sharper without being fatiguing. I don't know when, but I think these are very likely somewhere in my headphone future. Focal just does something with their closed-back cans that I really enjoy.

HEDDPhone: They don't fit me. Review over. Okay, kidding. I did eventually give them a listen even while they tried to pull my ears up and off my head. Very very enjoyable. Didn't outright wow me, but they do that thing where I can just put them on and let the music carry me away, which is a wonderful feeling and one of the reasons I think I will always have headphones in my life. They do something very right, just don't ask me what.

The Electrostats: I'm grouping them together because...they were good. I still don't think they do anything for my ears that dynamics or planars don't do almost just as well, but I am glad they're out there doing their thing. Also, I think of the three brands of ES I've gotten to listen to so far (Audeze, Hifiman, Stax) I like how Stax does it best. Theirs are the ones that do something to the sound that I can't find in other types of headphones. Again, I'm terrible at the descriptors, but I just know when I put one of theirs on, I always have that "ah, there it is" moment. What a wonderful hobby this is, I love it a lot. <3

Fostex TH-900mk2: These were my favorite closed-back headphones for a long time and I remember why. These newly-voiced ones sound excellent and the Fostex house sound continues to be one I find very musical and enjoyable. I think in the inbetween years I may have come to prefer the Focal closed-back sound a bit more, but there is no denying Fostex does something truly special with the TH-900, and someday I would not mind having a red urushi set of them for my living room setup. Definitely top-3 closed back can for me. Thank you for letting me listen @XGeneX88

Audeze LCD-3: These ended up being the big surprise for me. I'd listened to them years and years ago at a Dayton meet and was underwhelmed. I bought LCD-2 fazors and really liked them after liking the LCD-X, but never thought to listen to the LCD-3 again. That day I did and...to my ears they are dramatically improved to what they were. These are the only headphones I listened to all day that I would say make me consider replacing the HE-6se. They're excellent and enjoyably musical. The enveloping bass of the Audeze sound I enjoy with detail and thump more like the HE-6se than the LCD-2. I just really really enjoyed these. Now if only I could find an LCD-4 somewhere to try...

Again, the biggest takeaway of the event was: I missed going to these. Everyone was friendly and happy to talk music and gear and very considerate to make sure everybody got a chance to try everything. If there ends up being another one of these, I definitely hope I can go and absolutely hope I can see you all there again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back