headphone looks and aesthetic appeal
Sep 24, 2002 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
In honor of j-curve and magicthyse.

Which headphones do you think are most attractive? Which most ugly?

My pick for best looking headphone is the Audio Technica W2002. Every single man, woman or child who saw that headphone when it was in my possession commented on how nice they looked.

In the losers lead I'd put the Etymotics. Look a bit like a hearing aid, eh? What?

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 44
I don't know, but the way the cans look in your avatar makes a strong contestant for dorkiest phones.
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 44
"when it was in my position "

And just what position was that?

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
I don't know, but the way the cans look in your avatar makes a strong contestant for dorkiest phones.
tongue.gif

Those would be the beloved Sennheiser HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 44
Kelly, I'd have to agree, the W2002 are certainly the most attractive, IMO. Although the fact that they apparently sound good, as well, means that they actually matter as headphones, rather than as kindling
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 44
On the head or off the head?
Some headphones look amazing off the head, you put them on, take a look in the mirror and you burst out laughing...

Sep 24, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 44
These are gorgeous phones. I have no idea how they sound, but the wood looks so pretty.

lath_w2002.jpg

Sep 24, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 44
I'd agree about aesthetics off and on the head. The Ety's are low profile and one of the few that allow you to sport an actual haircut (perhaps a rarity amongst head-fiers?). Off the head...well no you don't really want to pass it around to show people what was just in your ears.

The W2002's are my favorite aesthetically as far as a good pair to put on my glass head headphone stand, looking better than some of the most expensive headphones IMO.

Low-end Grado's IMO actually don't look very good off the head, but aren't bad at all when worn IMO. The higher-end ones look better in build but stick out farther.

AKG1000's of course rank low in either regard.

The new Bose Triports have got to be some of the worst looking phones either off or on your head. Dunno, sporting $150 dollar headphones that are incredibly unsubstantial and cheap with the aesthetics of a made in China computer headphone also made me look dumb the instant I put them on...and I was only demoing it. Not to mention they aren't stylish at all unlike Eggo's which are very similar in form factor. If you think they look cheap on the web, try seeing them in the flesh.

Sep 24, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 44
Heck, I'm very partial to the appearance of my Koss Cheese phones. Not only do they look appetizing, but they sound pretty damn good. I keep them in their "Pringles" style can on top of my refrigerator...right next to my crackers and dip chips.

large_cheesephones.jpg

biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
In the losers lead I'd put the Etymotics. Look a bit like a hearing aid, eh? What?

i pick the etymotic as the best looking because they're practically invisible.

i'd rather look like i have a disability (deaf) than look like a total dork walking around with huge headphones on.
people will notice an AKG, for example, while they probably wouldn't give the etymotic a second look.

Sep 24, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Heck, I'm very partial to the appearance of my Koss Cheese phones. Not only do they look appetizing, but they sound pretty damn good. I keep them in their "Pringles" style can on top of my refrigerator...right next to my crackers and dip chips.

large_cheesephones.jpg

biggrin.gif

Moe Larry CHEESE ! Moe Larry CHEESE !
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 44
Is it my imagination or are the W2002's slightly more squared-off in profile to the ATH-A9X? Because the 'orange halves on the head' thing was what caused me to sell the A9X for portable use...?

Sep 25, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 44
Sennheiser HD600 makes one look like a giant ant or fly. AKGK501 looks like space alien gear.

The coolest headphone to be seen wearing is my Yamaha YHD-1, so snug and comfortable as well as inconspicuous. The early SR60, with the smaller donut pads, was OK too.

RS-1 is a beautiful looking headphone. I liked some of the older Beyer DT models, DT-211, DT-411.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back